Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: wifi stops working

  1. #1

    Default wifi stops working

    My wifi keeps losing the connection. Restarting laptop and everything is fine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Loma Linda, Mo
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    My Levono IdeaCentre 300 stick did that - the wifi chip in it went bad - I bought a $5.00 usb wifi chip on ebay and it never drops any more.

    If you use network manager you can try restarting it "sudo systemctl restart network"
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    Quote Originally Posted by 1chip View Post
    My wifi keeps losing the connection. Restarting laptop and everything is fine.
    1. Chipset and driver details? For an internal device do
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    For internal, or external USB-connected you could do
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan

    2. Assuming that you're using NetworkManager, you could watch the logging in a terminal using
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -fu NetworkManager
    Observe/capture the output when the wifi becomes disconnected.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    1. Chipset and driver details? For an internal device do
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    For internal, or external USB-connected you could do
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan

    2. Assuming that you're using NetworkManager, you could watch the logging in a terminal using

    Code:
    sudo journalctl -fu NetworkManager
    Observe/capture the output when the wifi becomes disconnected.
    Code:
    4:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 [8086:0888] (rev c4)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN [8086:4262]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 07)
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:5018]
            Kernel driver in use: r8169
            Kernel modules: r8169

  5. #5

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    Had this error resuming from sleep, it would not connect

    Code:
    Nov 27 15:35:15 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509315.7594] device (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> down
    sNov 27 15:35:25 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <warn>  [1606509325.6347] device (wlan0): re-acquiring supplicant interface (#5).
    sNov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <error> [1606509330.7691] sup-iface[0x558ed0a33a20,wlan0]: error adding interface: wpa_supplicant couldn't grab this interface.
    Nov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509330.7692] device (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> down
    Nov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509330.7692] device (wlan0): supplicant interface keeps failing, giving up

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    Quote Originally Posted by 1chip View Post
    Had this error resuming from sleep, it would not connect

    Code:
    Nov 27 15:35:15 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509315.7594] device (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> down
    sNov 27 15:35:25 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <warn>  [1606509325.6347] device (wlan0): re-acquiring supplicant interface (#5).
    sNov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <error> [1606509330.7691] sup-iface[0x558ed0a33a20,wlan0]: error adding interface: wpa_supplicant couldn't grab this interface.
    Nov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509330.7692] device (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> down
    Nov 27 15:35:30 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1433]: <info>  [1606509330.7692] device (wlan0): supplicant interface keeps failing, giving up
    Maybe your Intel wifi device is slow to start up from sleep...does restarting NetworkManager help in this situation?
    Code:
    sudo system restart NetworkManager
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    You might be impacted by the Intel wifi bug discussed here...
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203709
    A pragmatic option might just be to employ a suitable external wifi device.

    It might also be worth checking power management with respect to the iwlwifi driver. Some have found disabling it helps, others report no benefit unfortunately.

    Create /etc/modprobe.d/wifi.conf (as root) eg with nano
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/wifi.conf
    and add this entry
    Code:
    options iwlwifi power_save=0
    Save when done, and it will take effect the next time this module is loaded (or next boot). If it doesn't work for you, just delete that config file again.

    FWIW, an old Mint thread describing similar issues (same driver but different Intel chipset).
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,238
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: wifi stops working

    NetworkManager is only one option. On my notebook it even breaks suspend/resume when closing the lid. Try https://en.opensuse.org/Network_Management_With_Systemd It works fine here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ptop-15-da0xxx
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •