Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zypper dup as root or Yast?

Default Re: Zypper dup as root or Yast?

I agree with you.
    Maybe I was a little off-topic.
    I didn't want to advice anyone to uninstall YaST.
    I wanted only to say what you said with another words: "....everything that can be done using YaST.......can also be done using commands...".

Default Re: Zypper dup as root or Yast?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It does not matter if youuse YaST > Software od zypper. When you have priorities set (by either of them), they will rule using both.
    YaST > software and zypper are just two interfaces (one GUI and the other CLI) to the same mechanism. And the mechanism is implemented through libzypp. libzyp does the real work and manages the configuration files.

Sorry, but this makes not sense at all to me.

Maybe it is good to remark that the title of this thread (Zypper dup as root or YaST) is a bit confusing.
    zypper needs to run as a root process to be able to install (etc.) things.
    YaST > Software Management needs to run as root process to be able to install (etc.) things.
    And even PackageKit behind the applet needs to run as a root process to be able to install (etc.) things.

Where the PackageKit method differs is that for certain actions it does not ask for the root password to assure that the system manager/administrator is at the steering wheel.
    Precisely because I set priorities to the repositories, I was amazed that zypper updated the multimedia rpm to the Repo Oss, and did it more than once, but it is not a problem because I always read before giving consent to the update and then I checked "no" by postponing it
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12