Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back-in-time

Default Re: Back-in-time

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    I seem to be on the way!
    No
    On my server are 4432 files named as duplicity-full.20200903T091524Z.volXXXX.difftar.gpg
    duplicity != Back in Time. You need to start with explaining what you actually used.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    No

duplicity != Back in Time. You need to start with explaining what you actually used.
    Looking at the Software Management screen on my machine, I see that I have Back-in-Time installed and I do NOT have duplicity installed.

The settings in BiT show I had a weekly backup scheduled and each week I got a pop up little window reminding me that the backup had been done.

I assume I am using BiT but at this point I'm willing to accept anything.

I wonder if I install duplicity, would it recognize the backup that (I assume) was made by BiT?

At this point, I have reconstructed everything on this machine except for one directory and that contains a bunch of stuff I would dearly like to have.

Because BiT came from the openSUSE repository, seemed plenty smooth in the interface while setting it up, gave me a weekly notice and I could see the files in the backup directory on my server, I figured everything was as it should be. Now that I need those files, I can't get to them.

Bart

Bart

-I use Back-on-time to back up my servers incl some WM trow a e-sata dock and my local WS... Encrypted to HDS. Old spining HDś. Ok SSD is always faster. 'Its working for me sins 20xx!'.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Default Re: Back-in-time Sorted!

It is with a considerable amount of embarrassment and humility that I went on a wild goose chase and dragged you guys into it. Seems that after 80 years of wandering around this old planet, I'm not as sharp as I once was.

arvidjaar led me on the right path by pointing out the filename contained duplicity. I didn't make the connection because the GUI interface shows Backup instead of dejavu and I obviously associated the program with Back-in-Time. I didn't have duplicity installed because I had done a fresh install and had not installed it. (DUH) However, I obviously had it installed previously. After installing duplicity and dejaxu on my new system, it was able to recognize the backup it had made and I was able to recover the data I needed, albeit with some effort.

Thank you all for your efforts in helping me out with this mess!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by montana_suse_user View Post
    dejaxu
    What is it? I am aware of Déjà Dup, which is GUI frontend to duplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    What is it? I am aware of Déjà Dup, which is GUI frontend to duplicity.
    It's a typo!

Bart

The only way you'll restore both files and permissions is to use the Back in Time app, so you shouldn't just copy files back to their original locations.

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneNakamura View Post
    The only way you'll restore both files and permissions is to use gimp blender audacity the Back in Time app, so you shouldn't just copy files back to their original locations.
    After installing duplicity and dejaxu on my new system, it was able to recognize the backup it had made and I was able to recover the data I needed, albeit with some effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12