Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,235
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    I agree, no matter what computer is.
    There is a broken udev rule https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1179363#c7 Does the rule fix work on the Macs?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    France
    Posts
    47

    Cool Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    There is a broken udev rule https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1179363#c7 Does the rule fix work on the Macs?
    karlmistelberger you rocks! The changes Takashi Iwai proposed are also working whether or not the startup chime is muted on the UEFI and /etc/alsa/state-daemon.conf exists or not.
    I'll reply on the bug report that both fixes are working

    Code:
    root@raiatea:/home/matt # systemctl list-dependencies sound.target
    sound.target
    ● ├─alsa-restore.service
    ● ├─alsa-state.service
    ● └─sound-extra.service
    root@raiatea:/home/matt # systemctl status --full alsa-restore.service 
    ● alsa-restore.service - Save/Restore Sound Card State
         Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/alsa-restore.service; static)
         Active: active (exited) since Wed 2020-12-02 11:57:41 CET; 1min 33s ago
        Process: 904 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/alsactl restore (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       Main PID: 904 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    
    déc. 02 11:57:41 raiatea systemd[1]: Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...
    déc. 02 11:57:41 raiatea systemd[1]: Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
    root@raiatea:/home/matt #
    openSUSE Tumbleweed / xfce 4.16 on:
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i7 2,9Ghz))
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i5 2,5Ghz)
    MBP 15 late-2006 (C2D 2,33Ghz)


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,235
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    The changes Takashi Iwai proposed are also working whether or not the startup chime is muted on the UEFI and /etc/alsa/state-daemon.conf exists or not.
    Host erlangen was unaffected by the bug so far. However upgrading to TW-20201205 changed that. Fixing the broken udev rule solved the problem.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    France
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Host erlangen was unaffected by the bug so far. However upgrading to TW-20201205 changed that. Fixing the broken udev rule solved the problem.
    Yep I saw that on my testing machine (the i5 MBP) after updating to 20201205 snapshot and fixing too the broken udev rule made the trick
    openSUSE Tumbleweed / xfce 4.16 on:
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i7 2,9Ghz))
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i5 2,5Ghz)
    MBP 15 late-2006 (C2D 2,33Ghz)


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,235
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Yep I saw that on my testing machine (the i5 MBP) after updating to 20201205 snapshot and fixing too the broken udev rule made the trick
    Yet another fix: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1179904
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    France
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Yup saw it this morning.

    As per comment #11 from Takashi, I haven't any /etc/udev/rules.d/sound.rules and haven't tested Takashi's alsa-utils package as I didn't encountered the error you had and described in your bug report.

    Things are working as expected only by changing card* to controlC* in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.conf
    openSUSE Tumbleweed / xfce 4.16 on:
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i7 2,9Ghz))
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i5 2,5Ghz)
    MBP 15 late-2006 (C2D 2,33Ghz)


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,235
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Yup saw it this morning.

    As per comment #11 from Takashi, I haven't any /etc/udev/rules.d/sound.rules and haven't tested Takashi's alsa-utils package as I didn't encountered the error you had and described in your bug report.

    Things are working as expected only by changing card* to controlC* in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.conf
    2 devices were created for each sound card. Deleted the original line, added the new line and checked with Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug. Several rules apply:
    Code:
    3400G:~ # journalctl -b -1 -u systemd-udevd.service --grep controlC2 -o short-monotonic  
    -- Logs begin at Fri 2020-12-11 12:31:34 CET, end at Sat 2020-12-12 18:04:58 CET. -- 
    [    5.900155] 3400G systemd-udevd[518]: controlC2: Device (SEQNUM=3907, ACTION=add) is queued
    [    5.900185] 3400G systemd-udevd[518]: controlC2: Device (SEQNUM=3907, ACTION=add) ready for processing
    [    5.900236] 3400G systemd-udevd[518]: controlC2: sd-device-monitor: Passed 226 byte to netlink monitor
    [    5.900453] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Processing device (SEQNUM=3907, ACTION=add)
    [    5.900669] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:47 GROUP 490
    [    5.900783] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-alsa.rules:11 Importing properties from results of builtin command 'path_id'
    [    5.900827] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-alsa.rules:12 LINK 'snd/by-path/pci-0000:08:00.6'
    [    5.900960] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/73-seat-late.rules:17 RUN 'uaccess'
    [    5.900993] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules:5 ATTR '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:08:00.6/sound/card2/controlC2/../uevent' writing 'change'
    [    5.901253] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules:5 RUN '/usr/sbin/alsactl restore $attr{device/number}'
    [    5.901405] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Handling device node '/dev/snd/controlC2', devnum=c116:12
    [    5.901436] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Setting permissions /dev/snd/controlC2, uid=0, gid=490, mode=0660
    [    5.901467] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Creating symlink '/dev/char/116:12' to '../snd/controlC2'
    [    5.901558] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Creating symlink '/dev/snd/by-path/pci-0000:08:00.6' to '../controlC2'
    [    5.901709] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: sd-device: Created db file '/run/udev/data/c116:12' for '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:08:00.6/sound/card2/controlC2'
    [    5.901739] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Running built-in command "uaccess"
    [    5.901768] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Running command "/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 2"
    [    5.901795] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Starting '/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 2'
    [    5.901869] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl restore 2' succeeded.
    [    5.901899] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: Device (SEQNUM=3907, ACTION=add) processed
    [    5.901937] 3400G systemd-udevd[542]: controlC2: sd-device-monitor: Passed 405 byte to netlink monitor
    3400G:~ # systemctl list-units '*sound*'                                                              
      UNIT                                                                          LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                                                            
      sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:08.1-0000:08:00.1-sound-card1-controlC1.device loaded active plugged /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:08:00.1/sound/card1/controlC1 
      sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:08.1-0000:08:00.6-sound-card2-controlC2.device loaded active plugged /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:08:00.6/sound/card2/controlC2
      sound.target                                                                  loaded active active  Sound Card                                                              
    
    LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded. 
    ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB. 
    SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type. 
    
    3 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too. 
    To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'. 
    3400G:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    France
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Here's what I have (only one sound card):

    Code:
    root@raiatea:~ # systemctl list-units "*sound*"
      UNIT                                                   LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                                                  
      sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1b.0-sound-card0.device loaded active plugged 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
      sound.target                                           loaded active active  Sound Card                                                   
    
    LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
    ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
    SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
    
    2 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
    To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
    root@raiatea:~ # 
    openSUSE Tumbleweed / xfce 4.16 on:
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i7 2,9Ghz))
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i5 2,5Ghz)
    MBP 15 late-2006 (C2D 2,33Ghz)


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,235
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Here's what I have (only one sound card):

    Code:
    root@raiatea:~ # systemctl list-units "*sound*"
      UNIT                                                   LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                                                  
      sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1b.0-sound-card0.device loaded active plugged 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
      sound.target                                           loaded active active  Sound Card                                                   
    
    LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
    ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
    SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
    
    2 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
    To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
    root@raiatea:~ # 
    Maintainers try to improve. Check http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...leweed/x86_64/ for new alsa-utils.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    France
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Disable optical sound line on MacBook Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Maintainers try to improve. Check http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...leweed/x86_64/ for new alsa-utils.
    This will be pushed in the next snapshot ?
    openSUSE Tumbleweed / xfce 4.16 on:
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i7 2,9Ghz))
    MBP 13 mid-2012 (i5 2,5Ghz)
    MBP 15 late-2006 (C2D 2,33Ghz)


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •