Error On Update? "Installation of python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64 failed:"

Hi,

When executing “zypper dup” I receive error below?
Any ideas, thanks!

I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE 64Bit.

Jesse

**ThinDesktop:/home/jlp #** zypper dup    
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible befo
re you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command. 
Computing distribution upgrade... 

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
  python3-qt5-devel 

The following package is going to be REMOVED:
  python-qt5-common-devel 

1 new package to install, 1 to remove. 
Overall download size: 617.7 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 1.6 MiB will be used. 
**Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): **y 
Retrieving package python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64                                        (1/1), 617.7 KiB (  4.5 MiB unpacked) 
Retrieving: python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64.rpm .............................................................[done (3.8 KiB/s)] 

Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................[done] 
(1/1) Installing: python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64 ......................................................................[error] 
Installation of python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/share/sip/PyQt5: cpio: File from packa
ge already exists as a directory in system                                                                                         
error: python3-qt5-devel-5.15.1-2.1.x86_64: install failed                                                                         
error: python-qt5-common-devel-5.15.1-1.1.noarch: erase skipped                                                                    
**Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): **a 
Problem occurred during or after installation or removal of packages:
Installation has been aborted as directed.                                                                                         
Please see the above error message for a hint. 
**ThinDesktop:/home/jlp #**

Hi
Delete python-qt5-common-devel then run dup again…****

I did not run into that problem with the latest install. But it looks familiar. I think I saw a similar problem two years ago with “exim”.

Apparently there’s a problem when the older package has a directory which the newer package wants to replace with a file.

As malcolmlewis says, the work around for this kind of problem is to first remove the older package (which removes the directory), and then installed the updated package.

https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/message/IT2BTVJVPMSWLXT36AWLIQSTE4VUGX7T/

Hi,

Where would I find above file?

Jesse

Hi
Just zypper remove…

zypper rm python-qt5-common-devel
zypper -vvv dup

I had the same issue as Jesse, the problem is that a prior install of python3-qt5-devel had left some files when it was removed.
To resolve the issue you need to delete the folder called “PyQt5” located at /usr/share/sip/
Once the folder is removed the update works fine.

Thanks – was having the same issue and this resolved it!

SW

Same problem here. That worked, thanks a lot!