Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new 5.9 kernel boots to black screen with cursor showing but "crashed"?? 5.8 kernel is OK???

Default Re: new 5.9 kernel boots to black screen with cursor showing but "crashed"?? 5.8 kernel is OK???

My problem was reported in ersatz fashion by way of mate's git-hub page.

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-menus/issues/87

Default Re: new 5.9 kernel boots to black screen with cursor showing but "crashed"?? 5.8 kernel is OK???

I got that command from https://www.suse.com/c/zypper-equiva...story-command/. Now, it's an alias in my ~/.bashrc along with the "zypp-locks" command I posted a while ago on the forum. Here are the two relevant lines form my ~/.bashrc file:
    Code:
    alias zypp-hist='sudo cut -d "|" -f 1-4 -s --output-delimiter " | " /var/log/zypp/history | grep -v " radd "'

alias zypp-locks='sudo zypper info $(sudo zypper se -f -i $(sudo zypper locks | grep "^[0-9]" | cut -d "|" -f 2) | grep "^il" | cut -d "|" -f 2) | grep "^Name\|^Status" | sed -e "N;s/.*:\([^\n]*\)\n[^:]*/\1/"'
    Gene

Alrighty, well, this time I selected #3 option, "keep the obsolete python3-xxx package," and that then showed the package is now "locked" . . . and the rest of the 265 packages passed through processing . . . and reboot . . . took a couple minutes maybe, but the log in window appears and we are back into an operational MATE gui . . . albeit with "an obsolete python3 package" . . . locked in . . . .

Have the same issue with MATE - filled Bugzilla

Bugzilla – Bug 1178323

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1178323
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    Have the same issue with MATE - filled Bugzilla

Bugzilla – Bug 1178323

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1178323
    @larryr:

Thanks for that . . . I jumped back over to the original sufferer, the laptop . . . booted TW, same black screen . . . entered my password blindly, back into GUI . . . ran a zypper dup -l . . . had a bunch of "firmware" packages, rebooted, same problem, back in, went to Yast software management, searched "python3-xdg" and Yast showed it as "available" . . . so I installed it . . . shut down. On reboot, problem remains . . . .

But, over here I had different options than on the desktop, so I don't recall how it got out of sorts . . . . I'll try to add my name to your bugzilla report, but I think this is an "upstream" issue relating to MATE???? Don't know if that is a fair assessment . . . .

I found this link to the obsolete RPM and used rpm to install it so zypper does not know about it. Click on the "python3-pyxdg-0.26-5.2 RPM for noarch" to download it.
    It is one release back but seems to work for me.

http://www.rpmfind.info/linux/RPM/opensuse/ports/tumbleweed/noarch/python3-pyxdg-0.26-5.2.noarch.html

This appears to be the right release but I have not tried it as it says aarch64 rather than x86-64

https://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/opens...6.2.noarch.rpm
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    This appears to be the right release but I have not tried it as it says aarch64 rather than x86-64
    Unless I am misreading, it actually says "noarch". So that should be fine. Quite a few packages are "noarch" (or independent of architecture).
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

@larryr:

OK, I'll check into that . . . I've "taken the fork in the road" . . . with two different results . . . .

On the desktop I kept that "obsolete python3-xdg" . . . which "locked it" . . . but allowed upgrade to run through and rebooted into gui w/o issues . . . .

Over on the laptop, I still have the problem, but once logged in I ran zypper . . . then yast showed the newer python3 app that it wanted for the mate-menu upgrade . . . but installing that didn't fix the problem . . . . But, now that I know to just type my password, maybe at some point an upgrade will come along and fix it??

Got a response from the mate-menu people on the report I made on their git-hub site:

This is a packaging issu with your distro, not an upstream issue. You need to file issues with OpenSUSE TW & Gecko TW instead, as only they can fix this. Looks like they have python updates out of synch with their build of mate-menus and need to rebuild that package from the same source
    So over here in TW the "work around" is "keeping the obsolete python" package . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Got a response from the mate-menu people on the report I made on their git-hub site:

So over here in TW the "work around" is "keeping the obsolete python" package . . . .
    et al:

I thought I had posted the response on the bubzilla bug report that larryr had filed, but I guess I didn't . . . . Problem still remains in one or more of my TW installs . . . .

Actually, I believe only mate-menu depends on python3-pyxdg. When I test this by telling zypper to remove python3-pyxdg, I see this:

> sudo zypper remove python3-pyxdg
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 3 packages are going to be REMOVED:
    mate-menu mate-menu-lang python3-pyxdg

3 packages to remove.
    After the operation, 1.3 MiB will be freed.
    Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): n

So please rebuild mate-menu and mate-menu-lang against the new python3-pyxdg.

Thanks,
    Gene

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast