Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to send text messages from a desktop PC?

Default How to send text messages from a desktop PC?

Hello,

So, being 70+, sending text messages from my phone is a pain. I'd much rather "text" from my desktop keyboard. I saw a web page (that appears to assume Windows is the OS) that explains how to do it. Basically, on the desktop be logged into your google account, use bluetooth to connect to your phone (also logged into your google account) and then send your message through the phone.

I have an ASUS bluetooth "thing" (dongle? whatever)that plugs into a USB port on the back of my desktop computer. Now, how do I carry out the rest of the steps so that I can configure the bluetooth and send texts from my desktop under linux? My desktop is KDE.

Many thanks,

Mark

Default AW: How to send text messages from a desktop PC?

Putin your Asus-Bluetooth, open an terminal, get root and post:
    Code:
    journalctl -k | grep -Ei 'blu|firm'
    The Asus has maybe an broadcom-Chip inside and needs firmware.

Default Re: How to send text messages from a desktop PC?

Assuming you have a smartphone, you can install Signal on it and then Signal-desktop (https://software.opensuse.org/packag...signal-desktop) on your computer. You may even be able to install signal-desktop on your desktop without Signal being on your smartphone as all it needs is a ’phone number (this works in with Telegram messenger).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNeido View Post
    So, being 70+, sending text messages from my phone is a pain. I'd much rather "text" from my desktop keyboard. ...
    If you have an on-line account with your Telco take a look there, some have the facility to send an SMS. For example, here in the UK I'm with "O2" and can send a text from the O2 website to a mobile phone ...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20201127) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Aside from using a text messaging gateway (A service that accepts your messages and converts them into text messages),
    I personally don't mind creating my message content in an email draft on my desktop,
    Then without sending I open the same draft in my phone's email client, "copy all" and paste into my phone's text messaging app... Then send.
    I can then delete the draft or keep it as an additional record of my message.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

You mentioned that your environment is KDE. And KDE has its tool KDE Connect.
    Is KDE Connect not convenient for you?

Open a web browser and go here - it is a pretend cell phone with SMS - enter phone number and message just like a cell phone

https://www.sendatext.co/free-sms
    Opensuse 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Assuming you have a smartphone, you can install Signal on it and then Signal-desktop (https://software.opensuse.org/packag...signal-desktop) on your computer. You may even be able to install signal-desktop on your desktop without Signal being on your smartphone as all it needs is a ’phone number (this works in with Telegram messenger).
    The same can be done with WhatsApp and WhatsApp web. I find it simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    Open a web browser and go here - it is a pretend cell phone with SMS - enter phone number and message just like a cell phone

https://www.sendatext.co/free-sms
    I was very hopeful, but the site doesn't work for me. I tried using both Chrome and Firefox to no avail. They have a great idea, but for me it just doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNeido View Post
    I was very hopeful, but the site doesn't work for me. I tried using both Chrome and Firefox to no avail. They have a great idea, but for me it just doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Mark
    "It does not work" is not a very good problem description. Thus when the above means that you give up on it, it is OK. But if you want others to help you, by e.g. looking at what their experience is and compaire that with what you get, you should be more specific.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast