Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Processor stuck at min frequency...

Default Re: Processor stuck at min frequency...

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Sounds like it Does the system have a fan? Do you hear it running? If so, first thing I would look at is cleaning out the fan... likely dust bunnies and overheating (check temps via sensors command).
    Yes, that's what I thought... Thanks for your help anyway, greatly appreciated! I guess we pushed this as far as we could from the software side. As I said, sensors are showing very reasonable temperatures (around 30-40°C) and the fan isn't running like crazy. I might try to open the laptop once again, but I did it so many times over the previous week-end and couldn't find anything wrong (with my very limited skills, of course...).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought... Thanks for your help anyway, greatly appreciated! I guess we pushed this as far as we could from the software side. As I said, sensors are showing very reasonable temperatures (around 30-40°C) and the fan isn't running like crazy. I might try to open the laptop once again, but I did it so many times over the previous week-end and couldn't find anything wrong (with my very limited skills, of course...).
    Hi
    So do you hear the fan running? How old is the system? Might need to look at new thermal paste.... The main issue is blocked vent, dust builds up against the cooling fins. Sometime blowing air into the vent will blow dust out the bottom (air intake) of the laptop. Or shine a light into the air intake and look in the vent to see if can see any light.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So do you hear the fan running? How old is the system? Might need to look at new thermal paste.... The main issue is blocked vent, dust builds up against the cooling fins. Sometime blowing air into the vent will blow dust out the bottom (air intake) of the laptop. Or shine a light into the air intake and look in the vent to see if can see any light.
    I'll look into those things, thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, and yes, I can hear the fan. The laptop is 4 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12