Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC

Default Re: New PC

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Cloning disks is rather routine here. I'm never keen on new installs. Last was about five days ago, three in the past 30 days. The only thing that jumps at me as important for cloning in this potential migration from old SSD to new NVME is to first rebuild initrd(s) with included nvme support. NVME is on quite a different bus than an ordinary SATA SSD. Instead of /dev/sda you'll see /dev/nvme0n1. The new motherboard/CPU should be able to boot the old SSD directly without modification, but may need network and/or graphics reconfiguration once booted, and possibly won't boot at all without rebuilding initrds first if the old PC had an Intel CPU.
    Thank you mrmazda.
    What are you using to do the cloning?

Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Cris70 View Post
    What are you using to do the cloning?
    For the past two decades, Dfsee, in no small part because of its activity logging I use for disk and partition inventory, and author and user base support.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    For the past two decades, Dfsee, in no small part because of its activity logging I use for disk and partition inventory, and author and user base support.
    Looking at the site, it doesn't support btrfs?

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Looking at the site, it doesn't support btrfs?
    • I've never installed to BTRFS, so have had no need to know to what extent DFSee may or may not support it.
    • When it clones, it quite literally clones sectors, not files or filesystems per se, so I wouldn't expect any difference between source and original regardless what filesystem(s) is/are on (a) partition/disk. Same goes for partition copy as opposed to partition clone, which differs only by combining the process of partition create with partition clone. Support for various file operations on other filesystems may well be absent for BTRFS. I don't use it for any kind of file operations, but have occasionally used it for MBR sector editing.
    • It automatically handles extended partition sizing to accommodate desired logical partitions - no need to give any thought to extended sizing.
    • For more info on the extent of BTRFS "support" you could contact the author directly or via its support mailing list.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 24-Oct-2020 at 14:51.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12