Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC

Default New PC

Hi all,
    I am about to replace my venerable old PC due a semi-failing motherboard.
    I bought a new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3600), new SSD (WD Black 500Gb NVMe).

I have read that cloning a partition with dd onto the new SSD does not obtain the best performance. Is it true? Notice that the old boot partition was on SSD too (a 120Gb Samsung 840 Evo).
    My /home was on a mechanical drive, instead (320Gb Seagate Barracuda).

What would you suggest as procedure to migrate the OS and data to the new system? And what do I have to do so that my old Tumbleweed installation "adatps" to the new hardware?
    Anything that comes to mind that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance
    Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Default Re: New PC

Quote Originally Posted by Cris70 View Post
    Hi all,
    I bought a new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 3600), new SSD (WD Black 500Gb NVMe).

I have read that cloning a partition with dd onto the new SSD does not obtain the best performance. Is it true? Notice that the old boot partition was on SSD too (a 120Gb Samsung 840 Evo).

What would you suggest as procedure to migrate the OS and data to the new system? And what do I have to do so that my old Tumbleweed installation "adatps" to the new hardware?

Thank you in advance
    Cris
    I am not sure how your partitions are setup, but I use this for cloning (https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-size-using-dd). Regarding performance, I do have 2 SSDs for my toughbook CF-19 Mk6, and basically one is clone of another as a backup, both SSDs. I really do not see any difference in performance.

Also, depending how your partitions are set up, I would still keep boot and root on SSD and home on HDD, you can choose what to clone where during cloning process. Personally, 500GB SSD fills up rather quickly and I would upgrade the HDD to larger capacity too if I had the option.

From experience usually I have to wipe out the contents in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and run
    Code:
    mkinitrd
    as the super user usually makes everything to work fine.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Thank you in advance
    Cris
    When moving system and data from the i3-4130 (2014) to the 3400G (2020) I performed the following steps:

• unplug the drives and plug them into the new hardware
    • boot the system from the uefi boot menu and install the boot loader using Yast > Bootloader

Whenever I wanted to clone the partition:

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

... I am about to replace my venerable old PC due a semi-failing motherboard. ... What would you suggest as procedure to migrate the OS and data to the new system?
    Which option will take you more time (and effort to spend):

• To setup your new machine from scratch (i.e. new OS installation) and then move your data from the old to the new system (via network, USB-drives, transferring data drives from old to new machine, ...) OR
    • To work out how to clone your current machine (clonezilla may be an option) to your new one (plus later on to find out why things do not work as expected and how to fix these issues)?

I personally would go for the first option.

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post

Regards

susejunky
    Same here.
    Henk van Velden

Hi susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Which option will take you more time (and effort to spend):

• To setup your new machine from scratch (i.e. new OS installation) and then move your data from the old to the new system (via network, USB-drives, transferring data drives from old to new machine, ...) OR
    • To work out how to clone your current machine (clonezilla may be an option) to your new one (plus later on to find out why things do not work as expected and how to fix these issues)?

Regards

susejunky
    I think I will try option two, then if I experience problems I'll go back to option 1. I have already made all the work needed for option 1 not so long ago (due to problems in my installation) and I'm not so keen of doing it all again.

Thank you for your suggestions
    Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Hi karlmistelberger

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Whenever I wanted to clone the partition:

Thank you for you suggestions. BTW, what is btrfs-device?
    I have tried with "cnf" but found nothing.

Cris

Blog Entries

Thank you for you suggestions. BTW, what is btrfs-device?
    I meant 'man btrfs-device': btrfs device <subcommand> <args>.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Cloning disks is rather routine here. I'm never keen on new installs. Last was about five days ago, three in the past 30 days. The only thing that jumps at me as important for cloning in this potential migration from old SSD to new NVME is to first rebuild initrd(s) with included nvme support. NVME is on quite a different bus than an ordinary SATA SSD. Instead of /dev/sda you'll see /dev/nvme0n1. The new motherboard/CPU should be able to boot the old SSD directly without modification, but may need network and/or graphics reconfiguration once booted, and possibly won't boot at all without rebuilding initrds first if the old PC had an Intel CPU.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Cloning disks is rather routine here. I'm never keen on new installs. Last was about five days ago, three in the past 30 days. The only thing that jumps at me as important for cloning in this potential migration from old SSD to new NVME is to first rebuild initrd(s) with included nvme support. NVME is on quite a different bus than an ordinary SATA SSD. Instead of /dev/sda you'll see /dev/nvme0n1. The new motherboard/CPU should be able to boot the old SSD directly without modification, but may need network and/or graphics reconfiguration once booted, and possibly won't boot at all without rebuilding initrds first if the old PC had an Intel CPU.
    BTW: Moving the disks of the i3-4130 to the 3400G worked without any need to tinker. Using Yast2 > Bootloader to update grub finished the task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast