Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing full disk encryption with Leap 15.2 results in "minimal BASH-like interface"

Default Choosing full disk encryption with Leap 15.2 results in "minimal BASH-like interface"

Hi everyone!

I have been happily using OpenSuse Leap 15.1 for a while (XFCE4) also upgraded it to 15.2 without a problem.

Now...just recently I bought a 4 TB SSD (WD Red). After this I tried installing Leap 15.2 from the USB stick and the installation is generally working fine.

I choose guided setup, choose LVM and encryption, pick password, etc.

When the installation completes and reboots, I am greeted with the GRUB screen asking me for the encryption password.

I provide the password and it gives me the following prompt (not my screenshot, but identical except the Ubuntu part):

Now, I know my password is correct and I installed it multiple times.

To experiment, I also tried installing Fedora 33 with full disk encryption and it all works fine.

I also tried installing OpenSuse Leap 15.1, but it has exactly the same issue! It worked fine before.

Please help. I need this system up and running yesterday.

Thank you so much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Choosing full disk encryption with Leap 15.2 results in "minimal BASH-like interface"

I get almost the same screen if I enter the wrong password -- except it says "version 2.04"

I suggest you test whether you really have the right password.

Boot the installer to the rescue system. Use "fdisk -l" to identify the partition for the encrypted LVM.

Once you have identified that, try:
    Code:
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda5 cr_lvm
    except replace "/dev/sda5" with the proper device name for the encrypted LVM.

This is just to test whether you really have the correct password. After checking that, you can shutdown or try rebooting. From the rescue system command line, use "shutdown -h now" to shutdown or "shutdown -r now" to reboot. Power-off is probably okay too, because your test won't have written anything to the hard drive.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Default Re: Choosing full disk encryption with Leap 15.2 results in "minimal BASH-like interface"

Which password?? user or root??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Which password?? user or root??
    I assumed that this was a reference to the encryption password for the encrypted LVM.

Maybe but not clear what encryption is being used????

I was referring to the lvm password. I am currently working on running the process.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatty View Post
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 cs_lvm

When I do the above, it works fine from the rescue mode and I can see cr_lvm in /dev/mapper.

Any ideas?

Thank you for taking time to assist me.

Blog Entries

The next possibility to check, is whether grub is even seeing that disk.

Looking at my test system, I entered a bad password to get that grub prompt.

At the grub prompt, I entered: ls

The response was:
    (proc) (hd0) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)

That's listing the partitions that it can see. Presumably "(proc)" is a virtual file system for grub processes. The others correspond to my single hard drive with two partitions.

Can you do something similar to see if you can determine whether grub is seeing your drive (the one where you installed opensuse).

And note: I'm testing in a virtual machine which I already had setup for other purposes.

Thank you for sticking with me.

When I run ls, I get the following output:

Code:
    (lvm/system-root) (lvm/system-home)(lvm/system-swap) (crypto0) (proc) (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1, gpt1) (hd2) (hd2,gpt2) (hd2,gpt1)
    Please note, I also have another disk in my computer, but I did not touch it during the installation process.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what to make of that.

I think it means that the crypto is working, and grub is seeing inside your lvm. So something else is going wrong, but I'm not sure what.

Is this a UEFI system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast