Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    As a general rule, no examples, no comprende. So, while the options listing is nice to know, by itself, a list of options generally falls short enough to be a why bother.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  2. #12

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Looks to me that the filesystem is damaged and might be running a fsck.
    What is the format? BTRFS?

    You may need to just wait until the fsck completes, and presumably should repair any problems it encounters.
    Yes... If your partition/filesystem is very big and your drive is slow, it can take a very, very long time.

    Cross your fingers, or do anything else if you're superstitious... and do something else while you're waiting.
    And hope that you won't still have problems when the task completes.

    TSU
    Quick update. It has now been running for 15+ hours.
    I will start back into it after work and pull some of the other checks requested then.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cinnamon

  3. #13

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    25 hours plus and it is still running the loop, but not booting.
    I have rebooted into my backup distro and will start working on it tomorrow.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cinnamon

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,237
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    As a general rule, no examples, no comprende. So, while the options listing is nice to know, by itself, a list of options generally falls short enough to be a why bother.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/499623/how...x-system-logs/
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by idee View Post
    25 hours plus and it is still running the loop, but not booting.
    I have rebooted into my backup distro and will start working on it tomorrow.
    On the rare occasions when i had to resize a partition with an ext4-filesystem on it i always did it manually (i.e. using gdisk and resize2fs). I do not know how YaST handles this.

    Two problem areas come to my mind:
    • man resize2fs says:
      "When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem."
    • An interrupted filesystem resize operation may result in an unusable (un-repairable?) filesystem.


    Startup your LXQT-installation and try to run e2fsck. I don't know if it is possible to restart resize2fs.

    And keep in mind that depending on the size of the partition and the speed of the disk such operations can be quite lengthy.

    Regards

    susejunky

  6. #16

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Boot into the other partition, mount the broken system and show used disk space:

    Code:
    3400G:~ # mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/
    3400G:~ # df -h /mnt/
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb2        30G  5.8G   23G  21% /mnt
    3400G:~ # du -hd1 -t1m /mnt/
    45M     /mnt/boot
    288M    /mnt/var
    20M     /mnt/etc
    709M    /mnt/lib
    9.8M    /mnt/sbin
    11M     /mnt/lib64
    11M     /mnt/root
    4.7G    /mnt/usr
    5.8G    /mnt/
    3400G:~ #
    You may access the journal by running
    Code:
    journalctl --directory /mnt/var/log/journal/..../ -b
    Go to the end of the journal and report.
    Finally got time to dig in.

    Code:
    dad-pc:/home/dad # df -h /mnt
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2        40G   29G  9.3G  76% /mnt
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # du -hd1 -t1m /mnt/
    2.9G     /mnt/var
    11M      /mnt/lib64
    2.0G     /mnt/lib
    12G      /mnt/usr
    313M    /mnt/tmp
    1.3G     /mnt/opt
    1.9M     /mnt/lost+found
    406M    /mnt/boot
    23M      /mnt/etc
    8.1M     /mnt/sbin
    11G      /mnt/root
    29G      /mnt/
    It didn't find the journal
    Code:
    dad-pc:/home/dad # journalctl --directory /mnt/var/log/journal/..../ -b
    Failed to open /mnt/var/log/journal/..../: No such file or directory
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # dir /mnt/var/log
    alternatives.log    lightdm                                              wpa_supplicant.log
    apache2                           ntp                                                   wpslog
    audit                    nvidia-installer.log                 wtmp
    boot.log               nvidia-uninstall.log                wtmp-20200311.xz
    btmp                    pbl.log                                              Xorg.0.log
    chrony                  private                                              Xorg.0.log.old
    cuda-installer.log  samba                                               Xorg.1.log
    cups                     sendfax.log                                       Xorg.1.log.old
    fax                        snapper.log                                       YaST2
    firewalld               snapper.log-20201017.xz                   zypp
    hp                        tallylog                                             zypper.log
    krb5                     updateTestcase-2020-10-17-21-22-31 zypper.log-20201018.xz
    lastlog                  updateTestcase-2020-10-18-02-55-34
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # journalctl --directory /mnt/var --disk-usage
    No journal files were found.
    Archived and active journals take up 0B in the file system.
    Looking in grub.cfg I saw the following which didn’t look right? Why is it looking at two different partitions?

    echo 'Loading Linux 5.6.14-1-default ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.6.14-1-default root=UUID=6dae7c25-d985-44e6-b386-23c7d3a7af64 resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/95560983-e4b1-42a7-87b3-b2e20c8feb77 quiet

    What is the resume= line?
    It is not in my fstab
    Code:
    # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
    UUID=6dae7c25-d985-44e6-b386-23c7d3a7af64  /                  ext4     noatime,discard               0  1
    UUID=7b77b22b-a19f-4f0e-ab29-ae35449f5f39  swap               swap     defaults                      0  0
    UUID=74d45143-adf6-41b3-be64-dbf00eec672e  swap               swap     defaults                      0  0
    UUID=9e4b2cbe-4227-49f6-bc01-c133785b592d  /home              ext4     noatime,discard               0  2
    UUID=48ABE0A128C0D54D                      /backups           ntfs-3g  uid=dad,gid=users,umask=0022  0  2
    UUID=420EFA6B0EFA56FF                      /windows-D         ntfs-3g  uid=dad,gid=users,umask=0022  0  2
    UUID=F84ECD3B4ECCF402                      /windows-C         ntfs     noatime                       0  2
    UUID=c89bdf78-0c7b-4cb2-94af-7505756efe72  /linux-back9-LXQT  ext4     noatime                       0  2
    tmpfs                                      /tmp               tmpfs    noatime,mode=1777             0  0
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cinnamon

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by idee View Post
    It didn't find the journal
    A persistent journal is optional. If not found, it isn't configured. To configure it, use /etc/systemd/journald.conf, or simply create a /var/log/journal directory.

    What is the resume= line? It is not in my fstab
    It's an optional (unnecessary) override to the resume line built into each initrd, for use by suspenders.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 22-Oct-2020 at 10:15. Reason: Add directory ceation
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  8. #18

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    I have just downloaded the tumbleweed repair disc if that tool might help with anything.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cinnamon

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,237
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    Quote Originally Posted by idee View Post
    Finally got time to dig in.

    Code:
    dad-pc:/home/dad # df -h /mnt
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2        40G   29G  9.3G  76% /mnt
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # du -hd1 -t1m /mnt/
    2.9G     /mnt/var
    11M      /mnt/lib64
    2.0G     /mnt/lib
    12G      /mnt/usr
    313M    /mnt/tmp
    1.3G     /mnt/opt
    1.9M     /mnt/lost+found
    406M    /mnt/boot
    23M      /mnt/etc
    8.1M     /mnt/sbin
    11G      /mnt/root
    29G      /mnt/
    It didn't find the journal
    Code:
    dad-pc:/home/dad # journalctl --directory /mnt/var/log/journal/..../ -b
    Failed to open /mnt/var/log/journal/..../: No such file or directory
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # dir /mnt/var/log
    alternatives.log    lightdm                                              wpa_supplicant.log
    apache2                           ntp                                                   wpslog
    audit                    nvidia-installer.log                 wtmp
    boot.log               nvidia-uninstall.log                wtmp-20200311.xz
    btmp                    pbl.log                                              Xorg.0.log
    chrony                  private                                              Xorg.0.log.old
    cuda-installer.log  samba                                               Xorg.1.log
    cups                     sendfax.log                                       Xorg.1.log.old
    fax                        snapper.log                                       YaST2
    firewalld               snapper.log-20201017.xz                   zypp
    hp                        tallylog                                             zypper.log
    krb5                     updateTestcase-2020-10-17-21-22-31 zypper.log-20201018.xz
    lastlog                  updateTestcase-2020-10-18-02-55-34
     
    dad-pc:/home/dad # journalctl --directory /mnt/var --disk-usage
    No journal files were found.
    Archived and active journals take up 0B in the file system.
    Looking in grub.cfg I saw the following which didn’t look right? Why is it looking at two different partitions?

    echo 'Loading Linux 5.6.14-1-default ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.6.14-1-default root=UUID=6dae7c25-d985-44e6-b386-23c7d3a7af64 resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/95560983-e4b1-42a7-87b3-b2e20c8feb77 quiet

    What is the resume= line?
    It is not in my fstab
    Code:
    # <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
    UUID=6dae7c25-d985-44e6-b386-23c7d3a7af64  /                  ext4     noatime,discard               0  1
    UUID=7b77b22b-a19f-4f0e-ab29-ae35449f5f39  swap               swap     defaults                      0  0
    UUID=74d45143-adf6-41b3-be64-dbf00eec672e  swap               swap     defaults                      0  0
    UUID=9e4b2cbe-4227-49f6-bc01-c133785b592d  /home              ext4     noatime,discard               0  2
    UUID=48ABE0A128C0D54D                      /backups           ntfs-3g  uid=dad,gid=users,umask=0022  0  2
    UUID=420EFA6B0EFA56FF                      /windows-D         ntfs-3g  uid=dad,gid=users,umask=0022  0  2
    UUID=F84ECD3B4ECCF402                      /windows-C         ntfs     noatime                       0  2
    UUID=c89bdf78-0c7b-4cb2-94af-7505756efe72  /linux-back9-LXQT  ext4     noatime                       0  2
    tmpfs                                      /tmp               tmpfs    noatime,mode=1777             0  0
    Looks like you system has no problem with disk space. When dealing with problems journal is a great place to start with. So you may consider enabling journal storage on disk on all your systems. Default as indicated in /etc/systemd/journald.conf is #Storage=auto. Thus creating directory /var/log/journal will move journal from memory to hard disk.

    With little being known about your system giving advice to recover from the mishap is challenging.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  10. #20

    Default Re: Tumbleweed update - stalled boot

    I tried using the rescue disk, but the YaST bootloader tool errored saying it could not find the root partition.

    Solution: I reinstalled from a current Tumbleweed iso.
    Note the space used on that drive is now about 4 gig, vs the previous drive filled at 36 gig.
    A clean install is the best answer. Running great.

    Any idea why and what filled the drive?

    And thank you to all for your help
    openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit / Cinnamon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •