Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't get M.A..M.E to see my roms

Default I can't get M.A..M.E to see my roms

I have some experience with mame ( Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator), been using it for years now. Many years ago on windows xp, these days on a real O.S.

On my previous pc, I had it working just fine. Leap 42.3 , mame 0.185 wih rom pack 0.183

I am typing this from my new pc, and am using tumbleweed now.

Copied the roms from my old pc to my new pc, but mame does not see the roms. mame 0.211

Because roms might or mght not work with every mame version I also redownloaded a 60 gig rom pack. Version 0.197

Both roms packs don't work.

What I did find was this, a site with a few 100% legal roms. My mame does not see this one either.
    I downloaded star fire.
    https://www.mamedev.org/roms/

Link to my older topic, were I got mame woring on leap 42.3
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...top-resolution

I had some issues on leap 42.3, but that was solved by installing libutf8proc1 - Library for processing UTF-8 encoded Unicode strings.

So on tumble weed I made sure I had a file like that, and found libutf8proc2 - Library for processing UTF-8 encoded Unicode strings.

The Xbox one controller I ordered is in. It has two joysticks which I need for Robotron 2084 ( safe the last human family )
    This controller is supported on Linux,and has a usb connection to hook it up to our pc,

Questons:
    Does anybody have mame working on tumbleweed?

I have no idea on how to fix this, and hope somebody can help me.

MAME seems to work fine, when I start it from the command line, I don't get any errors. But as I said it does not see my roms.
    I did add in mame a link to my rom folder, and restarted mame.
    Mame does remember the link.

One thing I notice and remember from before, if there is a problem with the roms, mame will tell you this, but as far as I can tell mame does not see the roms at all.
    (The rom files are zip files and are copies from the original arcade machines rom)

Pacman Space invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, Mr do and Robotron are some of my favourites.

Default Re: I can't get M.A..M.E to see my roms

I am totally stuck. I also registered to the mame devs forum.

What I am gonna try is to install the debugging tools.

Maybe then when I start mame from the commandline, I get some use full errors / info.

I found version 0.193, that was the one I had working, but that was on leap.

Already tried to install the leap 15.2 version, just to see what files it wants to install, and then cancel before actual install would start, but yast wont let me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    I found version 0.193, that was the one I had working, but that was on leap.

Already tried to install the leap 15.2 version, just to see what files it wants to install, and then cancel before actual install would start, but yast wont let me.
    Hi
    Why not create a bug report, easiest way to get the 0.220 version fixed? openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you and will do.

Last night before I went to bed, I suddenly remembered something about debugging tools.

( assuming most of them to work alike)

I need to start the debugging tools, and then the debugging tools need to start the application. (mame)
    So besides filing a bug report, I am gonna search for some read me files, which explains on how to use them.

Also need to find what the debugging program is called, because then I probably can do man debugging tools.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    Thank you and will do.

Last night before I went to bed, I suddenly remembered something about debugging tools.

( assuming most of them to work alike)

I need to start the debugging tools, and then the debugging tools need to start the application. (mame)
    So besides filing a bug report, I am gonna search for some read me files, which explains on how to use them.

Also need to find what the debugging program is called, because then I probably can do man debugging tools.
    Hi
    There is gdb and strace...

Code:
    gdb <some_app>

(gdb) run <enter>
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I got an email, about the bug.

It says the problem is, also what Malcom already said, with the Tumbleweed mame package.
    It was suggested, I contact the maintainer, but he did not know who that is.

I am gonna search for the package maintainer, in the email was also a link to a page, which shows what people have worked on the mame package.

To be continued.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    There is gdb and strace...

Code:
    gdb <some_app>

(gdb) run <enter>
    Thank you I did install the mame debugging tools.
    Will give it a try if those works with gdb.

Found something:
    https://docs.mamedev.org/debugger/index.html

Somebody asked me to assign the bug to somebody.

I have no idea on how to do this though. Been looking for over an hour but can't find it.

I did add his name, to the cc email list of the bug. Does any body know how to assign a bug to somebody?
    Wonder if the maintainer of mame is maybe on a vacation, he does not reply to my email.

Talked to another package builder and he did confirm the person I had emailed is the maintainer.

For now while I wait..
    Will do an an attempt to compile mame myself. I already downloaded the source and had a look at the mame compile page.
    Used the dependencies list for fedora, because opensuse is not listed.

Lets hope I get lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast