Raspberry Pi screen resolution and login issues

I’m using the xfce version of OpenSuse tumbleweed on a Raspberry Pi 4, and it works otherwise fine, apart from two slightly annoying issues.

Firstly, if I connect the Raspberry Pi to my 4k display, xfce will choose a weird 1920x1280 resolution by default (at a weird 76 Hz refresh rate), and in its display settings will offer no other options for anything. No other resolution, not anything else. Rather obviously this is slightly annoying because it’s using a non-16:9 resolution on a 16:9 display. (I don’t mind if it doesn’t support 4k. It would be nice, however, if it ran at a 16:9 resolution.)

Secondly, I mostly use the Raspberry for logging into it remotely from my PC. Both are connected to the same wifi router, so my PC sees the Raspi in the local network and I can log in from the PC with ssh using its IP address… but only if I have logged into xfce in the Raspi first. Else ssh just says “connection refused”.

In other words, I cannot just power up the Raspi and then log in remotely with ssh from my PC. I need to go to the Raspi, log in the xfce login screen, and only then can I ssh into it. I don’t understand why. AFAIK sshd shouldn’t be tied to any particular account nor care if someone has logged into that account or not. That kind of defeats the whole purpose. I didn’t even know that sshd could be configured to work only if someone has logged into a particular account. (Even if it could be configured like that, why would you? It doesn’t make any sense.)

What is causing this, and how can it be disabled (and make it work without having to locally log in first)?

Just like OpenSUSE on a PC - the wifi does not start until you log in. It also does not run in run level 3 just like the PC only run level 5.

I have my PI4 autologin and I get in fine with SSH and I set up X11vnc to remote desktop to it. - I bought a cheap ($69 returned -no remote) 1920x1080 tv at Walmart for my monitor and it works fine.

That is not correct. If using NM, the connection is a ‘system-connection’ (All users may connect to this network,) with credentials stored in the root-owned configuration file, the connection can be brought up at boot. The same goes for wicked-controlled wifi connections.

My PI4 wired ethernet comes up at boot without login - wifi does not until login.

If that is true - why can’t you upgrade OpenSUSE from one release to another via WiFi in init 3 unless you download the update before you do the zypper dup. ( You cannot do a successful upgrade while in run level 5 ) When you do the init 3 to do the update wifi stops running - your wired ethernet still works. I only use NM.

I cannot understand the need for alternate options for display (wayland instead of X ) or communications ( wicked instead of Network Manager ). Does the 15 second that systemd saves on boot (and complicates things) really an improvement over init? Are developers so bored that they have to recreate working software instead of removing bugs from legacy systems. Why do I want desktops that make me work harder (Plasma) simple is better.

I assume because you did not configure the Wifi using Wicked (or made it a “system connection” in NM).
Just saying that it does not work without at least explaining (better proving) that you fulfill the requirements as posted by @deano_ferrari does not improve the quality of the discussion.

Please stay on topic in these help threads. Some of the extraneous comments better belong in our chit-chat or soapbox forums.

That’s down to the way you’ve configured it as hinted at already.

To the @OP,
Since you’ve been silent in this thread, unknown if what has been suggested works for you…
At least for your second question, the suggestion is to inspect your Networkmanager WiFi connection, and enable the “system” connection option if it’s not already set that way so your wireless connection is enabled on boot and not on login.

As for your first question…
I haven’t checked on a RPi4, but I do remember that other models of RPi and even other hardware long ago have had problems recognizing display hardware properly.
The typical solution has been to manually create and force your display configuration using xrandr.
If you prefer using a graphical tool, I’ve used axrandr. Just install the package and launch the app from your Desktop menu items.

HTH,
TSU