Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell update prevents Linux from seeing NVME SSD

Default Dell update prevents Linux from seeing NVME SSD

Ok, so I have a Dell Inspiron 7591 laptop. Today there was a Dell OS Recovery Tool update that knocked out GRUB2. I tried several things to get back into Linux:

1. Attempted to "boot linux" off OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 DVD, but it said it couldn't find a Linux installation.
    2. Booted into installer and sure enough, nothing in the form of /dev/nvme0n1 through 0n7. Literally cannot see the onboard SSD.
    3. Went into BIOS, secure boot was off. Re-enabled, booted into Windows and told it to boot from the DVD (attempting to reinstall certificates). Was greeted by curses-looking prompt asking me if I trust the OpenSUSE certificates, to which I obviously said "yes." Booted installer, still no /dev/nvme*
    4. Can see the Linux partitions in Windows, still intact, just can't access them.

I'm wondering if there's a less invasive way to get things back without burning the saved dd image (from when I first got the computer) to the SSD and starting all over. I read what I could on the internet for this problem but nothing seemed to work for me. I tried swapping SSD mode to/from RAID/AHCI but that didn't fix anything.

Linux at one point showed (internal 120GB SSD in SATA bay for my music) that my music drive had two partitions on it. I did a dd wipe of that drive, wondering if maybe EFI got confused and to see if I could force it not to try to boot off that drive (it's only going to be used for music and files, no Linux, no booting). I didn't see an extra partition in Windows but we know Windows lies. Anyways, that also didn't change anything: now I just have (in "manage computer") a partition-less 120GB and it is still not letting me see /dev/nvme* in Linux.

I'm at my wit's end. I guess I learned my lesson, no Dell OS Recovery Tool updates. But anyone know a less drastic way to regain control?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dell update prevents Linux from seeing NVME SSD

Quote Originally Posted by radelahunt View Post
    Ok, so I have a Dell Inspiron 7591 laptop. Today there was a Dell OS Recovery Tool update that knocked out GRUB2. I tried several things to get back into Linux:

1. Attempted to "boot linux" off OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 DVD, but it said it couldn't find a Linux installation.
    2. Booted into installer and sure enough, nothing in the form of /dev/nvme0n1 through 0n7. Literally cannot see the onboard SSD.
    3. Went into BIOS, secure boot was off. Re-enabled, booted into Windows and told it to boot from the DVD (attempting to reinstall certificates). Was greeted by curses-looking prompt asking me if I trust the OpenSUSE certificates, to which I obviously said "yes." Booted installer, still no /dev/nvme*
    4. Can see the Linux partitions in Windows, still intact, just can't access them.

I'm wondering if there's a less invasive way to get things back without burning the saved dd image (from when I first got the computer) to the SSD and starting all over. I read what I could on the internet for this problem but nothing seemed to work for me. I tried swapping SSD mode to/from RAID/AHCI but that didn't fix anything.

Linux at one point showed (internal 120GB SSD in SATA bay for my music) that my music drive had two partitions on it. I did a dd wipe of that drive, wondering if maybe EFI got confused and to see if I could force it not to try to boot off that drive (it's only going to be used for music and files, no Linux, no booting). I didn't see an extra partition in Windows but we know Windows lies. Anyways, that also didn't change anything: now I just have (in "manage computer") a partition-less 120GB and it is still not letting me see /dev/nvme* in Linux.

I'm at my wit's end. I guess I learned my lesson, no Dell OS Recovery Tool updates. But anyone know a less drastic way to regain control?
    Hi
    Can you boot from an openSUSE Live USB (or the install media) in rescue mode, then check the output from;

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Can you mount the efi partition and check it still has an opensuse directory.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Only windows boot manager, an entry for the SSD, and the rescue DVD I just booted from.

Is there a way to forcefully install certificates for LEAP 15.2 in Windows or the BIOS?

I know it won't help you much, but: I always install latest BIOS (nothing else, consider all "tools" to be trash at best and malware at worst) and use only legacy boot on my Dells...
    Kind regards

raspu

To OP: You are using legacy BIOS boot (CSM) or UEFI?

Check BIOS settings.

UEFI and that hasn't changed. This laptop is essentially brand new.

Only windows boot manager, an entry for the SSD, and the rescue DVD I just booted from.

Is there a way to forcefully install certificates for LEAP 15.2 in Windows or the BIOS?
    OK, so you can boot from an openSUSE Live USB (or the install media in rescue mode).

What is the result of
    Code:
    # parted -l
    does it show your "missing" SSD?

If so you could try to mount your openSUSE-partition, "chroot" into it and re-install GRUB2.

Regards

susejunky

I'll get to that in a second. Curiously, BitLocker (this is Win 10 Home?!) was enabled. I was like "what's that lock icon?" So I disabled BitLocker entirely and rebooted. Tried to boot Linux system from DVD again, still no go. It still doesn't populate in /proc/partitions.

I'll try in a bit.

fdisk -l doesn't list my NVME 1TB SSD (which is my boot drive and runs Windows).

... Tried to boot Linux system from DVD again, still no go. It still doesn't populate in /proc/partitions.
    Just to make sure i understand this correctly:

You booted the openSUSE installation media and took the option "Boot from Hard Disk"? If so, then your openSUSE system must be accessible in some way.

fdisk -l doesn't list my NVME 1TB SSD (which is my boot drive and runs Windows).
    Please if you are asked to run a command in a console then show the complete output (i.e. including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt) enclosed in CODE tags (that is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor).

Regards

susejunky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast