Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

Default VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

The caption says it all. Could be a version issue but am stuck.
    I switched to packman repo at the outset and all has been well until recently.
    Remind me please how can I check the existing installation and switch to packman repo.
    Budge.

Default Re: VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

As a workaround, at least for Leap 15.2 KDE and VLC 3.0.11.1 from packman, click the taskbar icon and get a VLC window. Press ctrl+alt+esc to get the kill cursor, then click the VLC window. The window and icon disappear, and VLC will play a new file. HTH.
    Regards,
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

Hi Howard,
    Many thanks. Your workaround worked just fine.
    Wonder why things have gone wrong. I thought it was just because of the many Tumbleweed updates but seems you have it on 15.2 KDE too.
    Thanks again,
    Budge

Default AW: VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

vlc ----settings----Interface----qt
    There you can set to show the icon in taskbar.

When you have a "taskbar" I assume you have a Desktop Environment. Which one?
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: AW: VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    vlc ----settings----Interface----qt
    There you can set to show the icon in taskbar.
    Hi and thanks for this information which is good to know. My problem however is getting rid of the icon from the taskbar which does not always go when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you have a "taskbar" I assume you have a Desktop Environment. Which one?
    KDE Plasma Version 5.19.5, KDE Frameworks Version 5.74.0

Default Re: AW: VLC Will not play and VLC icon cannot be removed from taskbar

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi and thanks for this information which is good to know. My problem however is getting rid of the icon from the taskbar which does not always go when I quit.
    If I close VLC with Alt+F4, or by clicking the icon in the far upper left corner then clicking Close, the black-and-white icon in the task bar generally disappears. If I close VLC by clicking the X at the top right corner of the window, the black-and-white icon in the task bar generally stays. IIRC, behavior is not entirely consistent. Puzzling.
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

I am not sure (not using VLC often enough), but I think that VLC is one of those multi-media programs (Amarok does the same), that puts itself in the taskbar and then can only be closed by closong it from the program window itself (using the "File" menu and then the close item). Just closing the window will leave it at your service in the task bar.
    Henk van Velden

I have been having this trouble with VLC on my TW/KDE system. I modified the settings to remove the taskbar option mentioned earlier. Now VLC will play any media I select rather than only the first one. However while it does not go in the taskbar now if I use the menu and click exit or use the X at the top right it is not removed from memory, Ksysguard still shows it and to remove it I have to kill it! Now this may be what the devs intended but when I quit something I expect it to close an remove itself from memory or at least ask if I really want it to remove itself.

Stuart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast