Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yast Nework Setting hangs during Initializing Network Configuration

Default Yast Nework Setting hangs during Initializing Network Configuration

Greetings!

Environment is a desktop system with Leap 15.2 configured with GNOME/Wayland and NetworkManager.

I needed to change the "Set Hostname via DHCP" setting. Ok, that should be quick and simple from Yast Network Setting. So I go to Yast -> System -> Network Settings. The "Initializing Network Configuration" screen appears and then hangs (non-responsive) at "Read device configuration". The "Initializing Network Configuration" will eventually complete after a very long period of time - shortest observed was 30 minutes with the upper bound greater than 3 hours - after which everything works normally. There are some complaints in the system log but they do not appear related to the slow configuration time:

Code:

Oct 06 08:24:43 orange systemd[2161]: Started Application launched by gnome-shell. 
    Oct 06 08:24:43 orange gnomesu[12245]: gtk_window_set_titlebar() called on a realized window 
    Oct 06 08:24:53 orange gnomesu-pam-backend[12250]: The gnome keyring socket is not owned with the same credentials as the user login: /run/user/1000/keyring/control 
    Oct 06 08:24:53 orange gnomesu-pam-backend[12250]: gkr-pam: couldn't unlock the login keyring. 
    Oct 06 08:24:53 orange gnomesu-pam-backend[12250]: pam_unix(gnomesu-pam:session): session opened for user root by (uid=1000) 
    Oct 06 08:24:54 orange y2controlcenter[12274]: Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported 
    Oct 06 08:25:18 orange org.opensuse.YaST.desktop[2250]: Run command: /sbin/yast2 lan & 
    Oct 06 08:25:26 orange systemd-udevd[465]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled by default. 
    Oct 06 08:26:00 orange kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (2506 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 79750
    Anyone know why the Yast Network Setting are so slow? Is there a fix?

TIA!

Default AW: Yast Nework Setting hangs during Initializing Network Configuration

You start Yast not with gnomesu?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yast Nework Setting hangs during Initializing Network Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by fosdex View Post
    Greetings!

Environment is a desktop system with Leap 15.2 configured with GNOME/Wayland and NetworkManager.
    If you're using NetworkManager, then you make that change in the connection editor itself.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: AW: Yast Nework Setting hangs during Initializing Network Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You start Yast not with gnomesu?
    No. Started with Yast GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    If you're using NetworkManager, then you make that change in the connection editor itself.
    The question is not how to change the setting (did that), but rather, why does Network Setting hang for so long. Seems like there is some issue with Yast Network Settings.

I agree. Even if the only thing it would tell you should be: you are at the wrong place because you are using NM, you would like to see that with a few seconds and not after half an hour or more.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I agree. Even if the only thing it would tell you should be: you are at the wrong place because you are using NM, you would like to see that with a few seconds and not after half an hour or more.
    Exactly.

There is a warning dialog issued, see here. However, if the dialog is dismissed there exists a quirk, in that, anything not greyed out in the Network Setting menus still works even when using NM, in seeming contradiction to the section "13.4.1.1 Configuring Global Networking Options" in the Leap 15.2 Reference Manual. This quirk is what I was exploiting. I don't recall such a long delay in the past, i.e., pre-Leap 15.2.

Actually, the long delay is more pernicious. A user decides to switch from NM to wicked so per "28.2 Enabling or Disabling NetworkManager" in the Leap 15.2 Reference Manual goes to Yast -> System -> Network Settings only to enjoy a frustratingly long delay. Not good and obviously problematic.

I asked about this to see if this issue has been previously addressed and to determine if a bug report should be filed.

enjoy...

It seems that you think this is something everybody experiences. I am not so sure. AFAIK you are the first to report this. And I can not believe that nobody uses YaST > Netwok Settings. I am still on 15.1, thus I can not testify,.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It seems that you think this is something everybody experiences. I am not so sure. AFAIK you are the first to report this. And I can not believe that nobody uses YaST > Netwok Settings. I am still on 15.1, thus I can not testify,.
    I've flicked between wicked and NM a number of times (openSUSE 15.2), and I'm not aware of any such issue.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Hi
    Just tested here GNOME/Xorg, all good switching between the two via YaST (openSUSE Leap 15.2 qemu). Could be a Wayland issue, the system is all up to date? What graphics card?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast