Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dual Boot with Windows 10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Hello!
    I recently installed OpenSUSE on my PC that already had Windows 10 installed. Usually Linux is cleaver and detects the other OS. This did not happen this time. I have 2 Ms.2 drives in my PC and my Windows install is on the other one. Could that be why it is not detected? Can I somehow manually add Windows 10 as a boot option from Leap 15.2? As it is now I have to be fast and press F8 and select the other drive to boot Windows 10 and this is easy to forget.

    Best regards
    Hoff

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,200
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    I can only guess, given the limited information.

    My best guess: one of your systems (Windows or openSUSE) uses legacy MBR booting while the other uses UEFI booting. Those two are not mutually compatible, so if you mix them you will not be able to boot Windows from the grub menu.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I can only guess, given the limited information.

    My best guess: one of your systems (Windows or openSUSE) uses legacy MBR booting while the other uses UEFI booting. Those two are not mutually compatible, so if you mix them you will not be able to boot Windows from the grub menu.
    Thank you! This would explain it.
    OpenSUSE uses UEFI for sure so Windows 10 must be MBR then. Somehow this will have to be rectified.

    EDIT:
    I'm sorry I didn't provide more information, I wouldn't know how really. Well I know a little more now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,909
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Another reason could be an uncommented GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true" in /etc/default/grub. If so, use YaST2 bootloader to change the probe other OS box to true, and Windows should show up on next boot.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Another reason could be an uncommented GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true" in /etc/default/grub. If so, use YaST2 bootloader to change the probe other OS box to true, and Windows should show up on next boot.
    Thank you for your reply!
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER is set to "false" So it has to be that MBR thing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    It should be set to true, I have to do this sometimes on tumbleweed, which is dual boot with win 10.

    I go into yast, go to boot settings, and make sure, the box detect foreign OS is checked,

    Then I click oke so it gets saved.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    It should be set to true, I have to do this sometimes on tumbleweed, which is dual boot with win 10.

    I go into yast, go to boot settings, and make sure, the box detect foreign OS is checked,

    Then I click oke so it gets saved.
    Hi!
    I did that and it didn't work.

    So I decided on fresh installing Win10. But a problem occurred:
    Since the driver was on MBR and not GPT I cannot install Windows 10 on that partition. It complains about it being MBR and therefor cannot be installed on there.
    I have deleted or formatted the partition again and again but it remainse a MBR partition.

    Is there a way to convert a single partition to GPT? Will I have to erase both partitions to convert the whole drive?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,200
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoff View Post
    Is there a way to convert a single partition to GPT? Will I have to erase both partitions to convert the whole drive?
    GPT is a partitioning system for the entire drive. You cannot just change one partition.

    It is possible to have hybrid partitioning (really GPT but looks enough like MBR to fool some software). But this is usually not recommended.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,675
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoff View Post
    Hello!
    I recently installed OpenSUSE on my PC that already had Windows 10 installed. Usually Linux is cleaver and detects the other OS. This did not happen this time. I have 2 Ms.2 drives in my PC and my Windows install is on the other one. Could that be why it is not detected? Can I somehow manually add Windows 10 as a boot option from Leap 15.2? As it is now I have to be fast and press F8 and select the other drive to boot Windows 10 and this is easy to forget.

    Best regards
    Hoff
    Multi boot works best with every drive being converted to gpt and Compatibility Support Modus being disabled. Information given by you is somehow poor. You may show partitioning of your drives:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # fdisk -l 
    Disk /dev/sda: 3.64 TiB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors
    Disk model: WDC WD40EZRX-22S 
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: 27C8C52A-8091-403C-ADF1-E9C791667D40 
    
    Device     Start       End   Sectors SizeType
    /dev/sda1       16384   67119103   67102720   32G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda2    67119104  134223871   67104768   32G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda3   134223872 7757789183 7623565312  3.5T Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda4  7757789184 7814037134   56247951 26.8G Linux filesystem 
    
    
    Disk /dev/sdc: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
    Disk model: Samsung SSD 850  
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: 90C1973B-4A41-4E96-85BA-B7358EA77CCC 
    
    Device    Start      End  Sectors  SizeType
    /dev/sdc1       2048    208895    206848   101M EFI System 
    /dev/sdc2     208896  63119359  62910464    30G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc3   63119360 126033919  62914560    30G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc4  126033920 512202751 386168832 184.1G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc5  512202752 638033919 125831168    60G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc6  638033920 700948479  62914560    30G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc7  700948480 734502911  33554432    16G Linux swap 
    /dev/sdc8  734502912 793495551  58992640  28.1G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc9  793495552 852088831  58593280  27.9G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sdc10 852088832 852121599     32768    16M Microsoft reserved 
    /dev/sdc11 852121600 976773119 124651520  59.4G Microsoft basic data 
    
    
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1.82 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
    Disk model: CT2000BX500SSD1  
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: 24B476D2-CC39-4F91-9828-2024B84EFED2 
    
    DeviceStart       End   Sectors SizeType
    /dev/sdb1   2048 3907028991 3907026944  1.8T Linux filesystem 
    
    
    Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 476.94 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
    Disk model: Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB                
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: A84F222E-0177-499B-A7EA-BDA6F31E2196 
    
    Device    Start       End  Sectors  SizeType
    /dev/nvme0n1p1      2048     206847    204800   100M EFI System 
    /dev/nvme0n1p2    206848   25806847  25600000  12.2G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/nvme0n1p3  25806848  134207487 108400640  51.7G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/nvme0n1p4 134207488 1000214527 866007040 412.9G Linux filesystem 
    erlangen:~ #
    
    Are your m.2 drives sitting on the motherboard?

    Check boot mode by running:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # ll /sys/firmware/efi 
    total 0 
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar  2 07:22 config_table 
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Feb 27 09:41 efivars
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar  2 07:22 fw_platform_size 
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar  2 07:22 fw_vendor 
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 4096 Mar  2 07:22 runtime 
    drwxr-xr-x 12 root root    0 Mar  2 07:22 runtime-map
    -r--------  1 root root 4096 Mar  2 07:22 systab 
    drwxr-xr-x 66 root root    0 Mar  2 07:22 vars
    erlangen:~ #
    
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Dual Boot with Windows 10

    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes they are sitting on the motherboard. The problem has since been solved! Windows 10 was too unstable and I'm now running just Leap 15.2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •