Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve old film sound

Default Improve old film sound

I have discovered some great old British films (1940 -1960) on Youtube. But most of them seem to suffer from bad soundtracks. Is there any filtering software that can reduce distortion and improve dynamic range?

Thanks in advance.

Default AW: Improve old film sound

If you seperate the sound with avidemux maybe audacity will help.

Default Re: AW: Improve old film sound

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    If you seperate the sound with avidemux maybe audacity will help.
    Well avidemux is installed...

Code:
      # zypper se avidemux
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                    | Summary                                      | Type
    ---+-------------------------+----------------------------------------------+-----------
    i+ | avidemux                | Video processing tool                        | package
       | avidemux                | Video processing tool                        | srcpackage
       | avidemux-debuginfo      | Debug information for package avidemux       | package
       | avidemux-debugsource    | Debug sources for package avidemux           | package
    i+ | avidemux-gtk            | GTK Graphical Frontend for avidemux          | package
       | avidemux-gtk-debuginfo  | Debug information for package avidemux-gtk   | package
     l | avidemux-lang           | Translations for package avidemux            | package
       | avidemux-qt             | Qt4 Graphical Frontend for avidemux          | package
       | avidemux-qt-debuginfo   | Debug information for package avidemux-qt    | package
       | avidemux3               | Graphical video editing and transcoding tool | package
       | avidemux3               | Graphical video editing and transcoding tool | srcpackage
       | avidemux3-cli           | CLI for avidemux                             | package
       | avidemux3-cli-debuginfo | Debug information for package avidemux3-cli  | package
       | avidemux3-debuginfo     | Debug information for package avidemux3      | package
       | avidemux3-debugsource   | Debug sources for package avidemux3          | package
       | avidemux3-qt5           | Qt interface for avidemux                    | package
       | avidemux3-qt5-debuginfo | Debug information for package avidemux3-qt5  | package
     l | avidemux3-qt5-lang      | Languages for package avidemux3-qt5          | package
    localhost:/home/ion #
    ...but does not appear under Menu and...

Code:
     :~> avidemux
    If 'avidemux' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux
    ion@localhost:~> avidemux-gtk
    If 'avidemux-gtk' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux-gtk
    ion@localhost:~> cnf avidemux-gtk
     avidemux-gtk: command not found                             
    ion@localhost:~> cnf avidemux
     avidemux: command not found                         
    ion@localhost:~>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Well avidemux is installed...

Code:
      # zypper se avidemux

S  | Name                    | Summary                                      | Type
    ---+-------------------------+----------------------------------------------+-----------
    i+ | avidemux                | Video processing tool                        | package
       | avidemux                | Video processing tool                        | srcpackage
       | avidemux-debuginfo      | Debug information for package avidemux       | package
       | avidemux-debugsource    | Debug sources for package avidemux           | package
    i+ | avidemux-gtk            | GTK Graphical Frontend for avidemux          | package
       | avidemux-gtk-debuginfo  | Debug information for package avidemux-gtk   | package
     l | avidemux-lang           | Translations for package avidemux            | package
       | avidemux-qt             | Qt4 Graphical Frontend for avidemux          | package
       | avidemux-qt-debuginfo   | Debug information for package avidemux-qt    | package
       | avidemux3               | Graphical video editing and transcoding tool | package
       | avidemux3               | Graphical video editing and transcoding tool | srcpackage
       | avidemux3-cli           | CLI for avidemux                             | package
       | avidemux3-cli-debuginfo | Debug information for package avidemux3-cli  | package
       | avidemux3-debuginfo     | Debug information for package avidemux3      | package
       | avidemux3-debugsource   | Debug sources for package avidemux3          | package
       | avidemux3-qt5           | Qt interface for avidemux                    | package
       | avidemux3-qt5-debuginfo | Debug information for package avidemux3-qt5  | package
     l | avidemux3-qt5-lang      | Languages for package avidemux3-qt5          | package
    localhost:/home/ion #
    ...but does not appear under Menu and...

Code:
     :~> avidemux
    If 'avidemux' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux
    ion@localhost:~> avidemux-gtk
    If 'avidemux-gtk' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux-gtk
    ion@localhost:~> cnf avidemux-gtk
     avidemux-gtk: command not found                             
    ion@localhost:~> cnf avidemux
     avidemux: command not found                         
    Hi
    Ever thought of using tab completion (type some text, press tab and it will give you possible names...);

Code:
    avidem<press tab>
    Just because a package is name XYZ, that the binaries to run are called XYZ.... (avidemux2_cl, avidemux2_gtk etc)
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

avidemux is a programm to cut and edit video.
    audacity is a programm to edit and cut audio.

PS:
    if you are using plasma/KDE you should install the QT version of avidemux: avidemux3-qt and avidemux3-qt-lang besides avidemux3.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Ever thought of using tab completion (type some text, press tab and it will give you possible names...);

Code:
    avidem<press tab>
    Just because a package is name XYZ, that the binaries to run are called XYZ.... (avidemux2_cl, avidemux2_gtk etc)
    Thanks for the speedy response. I was not aware of the <TAB> option. So I tried it and it responded with...

Code:
     :~> avidemux2_
    ...and I pressed the <ENTER> key, and the response was...

Code:
      :~> avidemux2_If 'avidemux2_' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux2_
    ...and following its instruction I went on...

Code:
     ion@localhost:~> cnf avidemux2: command not found                           
    ...as indeed zypper shows no avidemux2 of any extension being available for installation. See earlier post. I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    avidemux is a programm to cut and edit video.
    audacity is a programm to edit and cut audio.

PS:
    if you are using plasma/KDE you should install the QT version of avidemux: avidemux3-qt and avidemux3-qt-lang besides avidemux3.
    I'm not using KDE. Using XFCE. Anyway I followed your suggestion and the response was...

Code:
       # zypper in avidemux3 avidemux3-qt
    Package 'avidemux3-qt' not found.
    There is an avidemux3-qt5 showing in zypper se. So I zyppered avidemux3 and avidemux3-qt5. Still no entry under Menu.

Result...

Code:
     ion@localhost:~> avidemux3
    If 'avidemux3' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux3
    ion@localhost:~> avidemux3-qt5
    If 'avidemux3-qt5' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
        cnf avidemux3-qt5

Code:
    stephan@linux64:~> avidemux3_
    avidemux3_jobs_qt5  avidemux3_qt5
    The bash expands avid (TAB) to avidemu3_ because there are 2 programms with this name.
    So you haveto type in the next column....
    Or press TAB twice(as a double-klick) to see the commands above.

The TAB command is named bash completions, f. e.:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_completion

But you have to install it
    Code:
    i  | bash-completion                   | Paket | 2.7-lp152.5.3                                   | noarch | OSS
    Many package have also a completion package, search for it......

Thats besides your problem....
    Last edited by Sauerland; 11-Oct-2020 at 15:29.

Default Re: Improve old film sound

Final word. From page https://software.opensuse.org/package/avidemux

"There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.2"

I think that's sufficient to close this thread. Had I gone there first I could have saved us all a lot of wasted time. Thanks for trying.

Default Re: Improve old film sound

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Final word. From page https://software.opensuse.org/package/avidemux

"There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.2"

I think that's sufficient to close this thread. Had I gone there first I could have saved us all a lot of wasted time. Thanks for trying.
    It's in packman, named avidemux3. It installs and runs fine.
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast