Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No sound in KVM Windows guest (in Linux, it is ok)

Blog Entries

Default Re: No sound in KVM Windows guest (in Linux, it is ok)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill.F View Post
    OK, not to be obscure..
    I have two computers. Each has its own OS. First has OpenSUSE, second - Manjaro.
    When I install Windows on a VM in OpenSUSE, there is no sound in it. However, when I do the same in Manjaro, sound is working, out-of-the-box, no drivers needed.
    So, if I then copy this VM with installed Windows from Manjaro to OpenSUSE, the sound also works.
    So, why the sound isn't working when Windows installed in OpenSUSE, question remains.
    This reads like Windows guest detects the 'virtual sound' hardware and so the appropriate driver is correctly configured when first installed in the Manjro VM environment, (but not if done via the openSUSE hosted environment for some reason). Out of interest, which sound hardware (emulation?) does Windows detect in the Manjaro hosted VM?
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 30-Sep-2020 at 11:03.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

This should be more precise

OK, not to be obscure..
    I have two computers. Each has its own OS. First has OpenSUSE, second - Manjaro.
    When I install Windows on a VM in OpenSUSE, there is no sound in it. I tried re-creating, with no result.
    However, when I do the same in Manjaro, sound is working, out-of-the-box, no drivers needed.
    So, if I then copy this VM with working sound from Manjaro to OpenSUSE, the sound in this "cloned" VM also works.
    So, why the sound isn't working when Windows is installed on a VM which created purely in OpenSUSE, question remains.

What I did: I copied windows.qcow2 with installed Windows 10, which I created in Manjaro. And paste it to OpenSUSE, importing existing disk image in virt-manager. Created with this "method" VM, has working sound in OpenSUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    This reads like Windows guest detects the 'virtual sound' hardware and so the appropriate driver is correctly configured when first installed in the Manjro VM environment, (but not if done via the openSUSE hosted environment for some reason). Out of interest, which sound hardware (emulation?) does Windows detect in the Manjaro hosted VM?
    Not sure I can give a proper answer to that..
    What I know, is that in both Windows VMs in Manjaro and OpenSUSE, the Device Manager shows the same.
    High Definition Audio Device with the same Hardware Ids. It looks like the driver is the same, I don't know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill.F View Post
    What I did: I copied windows.qcow2 with installed Windows 10, which I created in Manjaro. And paste it to OpenSUSE, importing existing disk image in virt-manager. Created with this "method" VM, has working sound in OpenSUSE.
    Did you see my previous post?
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Did you see my previous post?
    I did, and answered just a minute before.

Today 18:23
    Originally Posted by deano_ferrari

Not sure I can give a proper answer to that..
    What I know, is that in both Windows VMs in Manjaro and OpenSUSE, the Device Manager shows the same.
    High Definition Audio Device with the same Hardware Ids. It looks like the driver is the same, I don't know...

Blog Entries

Offhand,
    I'm guessing that your HostOS installs on Manjaro and Tumbleweed machines and moving a machine from one to the other is introducing factors people don't ordinarily see.
    For most things there wouldn't be a problem but sound might be a special issue.

As I suggested,
    I recommend you do a brand new install on Tumbleweed and test your audio (still on Tumbleweed).
    If your audio is fine, it'd superficially confirm my suspicion.

If you want to continue to troubleshoot what might be the exact issue, I see a few results from my Google search that could be relevant to your situation.

If on the other hand, you still have audio problems with your new machine...
    Well, those articles might still help troubleshooting, but IMO it's more important to first test a VM running on the same machine it's built on.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I recommend you do a brand new install on Tumbleweed and test your audio (still on Tumbleweed).
    If your audio is fine, it'd superficially confirm my suspicion.
    I did that, twice. Checking OpenSUSE installation media for errors. With the same result. No sound in virtual machine with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO it's more important to first test a VM running on the same machine it's built on.
    Totally agree, and this is exactly what I did. Problem persist on brand new install on Tumbleweed and with newly created VMs.

After recent update, the sound is returned, packages "qemu" and "virt-manager" was updated. Looks like one or both of them was the cause.
    The similar situation had happened with qbitorrent, probably 2-3 weeks ago. Previous update created and the next update has solved the issue.
    Problem is solved, thread may be closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12