Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KVM no bootable device

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default KVM no bootable device

    I have installed KVM Hypervisor and KVM tools using yast. Using vir-manager, installed a guest all worked, however when I started the guest the next time I get this message

    Code:
    Booting from DVD/CD
    Boot Failed Could not read from cdrom(code 0003)
    No Bootable device
    In the boot options there are only two options the CDROM or the Nic.


    Having read the documentation I discover that you can install "Import from existing image" option. I did that and now I get this error message.
    Code:
    (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live system
    What have I missed?

    Thank you for your help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,528
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    It is hard to know what went wrong. Too little information.

    If you installed a guest, then there should be a hard drive (a virtual hard drive) for the guest. And you should be booting from that virtual hard drive, if the guest was properly installed.

    I have occasionally deleted a virtual machine, but told the delete command to not delete the allocated disk space (usually a ".qcow2" file). And I can then create a new virtual machine, and assign that ".qcow2" file as the disk space for the new virtual machine. That's when I use the import function, so start the virtual machine from that assigned disk space. Of course, the way booting was setup for the guest in that ".qcow2" file must match the new virtual machine (BIOS or UEFI) for that to work.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,881
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    Your error is caused because your bootup is pointing to a virtual cdrom that isn't pointing to a valid device with optical disk or ISO file.

    First question is how you're starting your Guest...
    Are you using the graphical virt-manager or by command line (eg virsh)?
    If by virt-manager, probably simplest solution should be to simply go to your Guest properties, go to the storage devices, locate the virtual cdrom and uncheck the box that enables it to be connected on bootup.
    If by command line, pls post your command.

    Ordinarily, if nothing can be read from yuur virtual cdrom, ordinarily your Guest's virtual bios should fall back to disk, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be happening, but I don't think that's ordinarily important enough to troubleshoot, just disable the device on bootup as I described above should fix the problem.

    This also suggests that your virtual cdrom is pointing to your real, physical cdrom for your installation.
    If this is the case, I highly recommend for your convenience that you simply store your installation ISO files in a directory and simply point to those as needed for your installations, repairs, etc instead of real optical disks... ISO files are much faster,and more convenient than loading specific DVDs and CDs into your DVDROM.

    HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  4. #4

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    Update
    I installed another guest but still have the same problem this time there is a virtual hd present.. I think you are right about it being the BOIS UEFI. Is that problematic. Is there some documentation to help me. What other info can I supply to help?

    I am using virt-manager.
    I do have the iso's on the hdd. during the creation of the guest I created a storage for them

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,528
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    Quote Originally Posted by Subzero01 View Post
    I do have the iso's on the hdd. during the creation of the guest I created a storage for them
    I'm puzzled as to what you are doing.

    Here's the most common way that I setup a guest.

    (1) I click the icon for "Create a new virtual machine".
    (2) I check the box "Local install media"
    (3) I click "Forward"
    (4) I click "Browse" and browse to the iso I wish to use in the install, and I "Choose volume".
    (5) If the operating system field shows "None detected", then I uncheck the box for automatic detection, and enter generic (or similar).
    (6) I click "Forward"
    (7) I usually set to 2048M of memory and 2 cpus
    (8) I click "Forward"
    (9) I set the disk size (20G or sometimes 50G)
    (10) I click "Forward"
    (11) I type in a name for this VM.
    (12) I possibly check the box "Customize configuration". Then I click "Finish
    (13) I do any customization -- usually, that is changing from BIOS to UEFI firmware
    (14) I click "Begin installation"

    At this stage, it usually boots the install iso, and I proceed with the install. When done, it normally reboots into the newly installed system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  6. #6

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm puzzled as to what you are doing.

    Here's the most common way that I setup a guest.

    (1) I click the icon for "Create a new virtual machine".
    (2) I check the box "Local install media"
    (3) I click "Forward"
    (4) I click "Browse" and browse to the iso I wish to use in the install, and I "Choose volume".
    (5) If the operating system field shows "None detected", then I uncheck the box for automatic detection, and enter generic (or similar).
    (6) I click "Forward"
    (7) I usually set to 2048M of memory and 2 cpus
    (8) I click "Forward"
    (9) I set the disk size (20G or sometimes 50G)
    (10) I click "Forward"
    (11) I type in a name for this VM.
    (12) I possibly check the box "Customize configuration". Then I click "Finish
    (13) I do any customization -- usually, that is changing from BIOS to UEFI firmware
    (14) I click "Begin installation"

    At this stage, it usually boots the install iso, and I proceed with the install. When done, it normally reboots into the newly installed system.
    That's exactly what I am doing. Except I do not change the BOIS to UEFI I accept the default. That will work, it is the next time I start it fails

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,528
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: KVM no bootable device

    Quote Originally Posted by Subzero01 View Post
    That will work, it is the next time I start it fails
    Weird. It usually starts just fine for me, unless I messed up the install.

    When you click on the information icon (looks like a letter "i" here, but previously looked like a light bulb) that should show the virtual machine configuration. If I look at boot options, it should show the virtual disk as first choice. On the VM that I examined, that is described as an IDE disk. But it could also show as a SATA disk or a Virtio disk.

    There's also a box for boot options, and I usually check that though it should boot up without checking that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •