Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak wifi signal

Default Weak wifi signal

Previously running under 15.1 the signal was stronger, around 55/100, now it's at 36/100. YaST tells me that package rtl8192eu-kmp-default version 5.6.4_k5.3.18_lp152.41-lp152.21.8-x86_64 is installed.

Code:
     :~> cat /proc/version
    Linux version 5.3.18-lp152.41-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 7.5.0 (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 23:02:59 UTC 2020 (a4d139b)

Code:
     :~> sudo iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"INFINITUM7B5A"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452 GHz  Access Point: 80:3F:5D:5C:BA:29   
              Bit Rate:144.4 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0  
              Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****   Security mode:open
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=95/100  Signal level=36/100  Noise level=0/100
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Youtube videos hesitate. Now when I boot Ubuntu 20.04 I get no hesitation.

Code:
     :~$ iwconfig

wlx503eaa8b90ca  IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"INFINITUM7B5A"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452 GHz  Access Point: 80:3F:5D:5C:BA:29   
              Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=16/70  Signal level=-94 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:16   Missed beacon:0
    Since signal levels are in different units it's hard to compare, but the icon in the Ubuntu panel indicates a much stronger signal. Have I somehow installed the wrong version?

Default Re: Weak wifi signal

More strange data. If I disconnect the wifi so I am only using my wired eth0 and put my cursor on the panel icon for the network it reports "Wi-Fi network connection "INFINITUM7B5A" active: INFINITUM7B5A (55%)" which is the signal strength I used to get.

And here is a list of my repositories.

Code:
     :~> sudo zypper lr[sudo] password for root: 
    Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

#  | Alias                     | Name                               | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh
    ---+---------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+-----------+--------
     1 | Sauerland-update          | Sauerland-update                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     2 | brave-browser             | brave-browser                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No
     3 | dvd                       | dvd                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     4 | google-chrome             | google-chrome                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     5 | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1               | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     6 | packman                   | packman                            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
     7 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                   | No      | ----      | ----
     8 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)         | No      | ----      | ----
     9 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)          | No      | ----      | ----
    10 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS) | No      | ----      | ----
    11 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    12 | repo-oss                  | Main Repository                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    13 | repo-source               | Source Repository                  | No      | ----      | ----
    14 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)        | No      | ----      | ----
    15 | repo-update               | Main Update Repository             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    16 | repo-update-non-oss       | Update Repository (Non-Oss)        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    17 | vivaldi                   | vivaldi                            | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes
    ion@localhost:~>

Blog Entries

I guess some kind of regression...can you share the actual hardware (and driver) details?
    Code:
    sbin/lspci -nnk|grep -iA3 net
    or
    Code:
    inxi -Nxx
    *The latter command will provide driver version as well.

BTW, are both distros using the same driver?
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I guess some kind of regression...can you share the actual hardware (and driver) details?
    Code:
    sbin/lspci -nnk|grep -iA3 net
    Code:
     # /sbin/lspci -nnk|grep -iA3 net
    libkmod: kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf line 2: ignoring bad line starting with '#not'
    libkmod: kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf line 3: ignoring bad line starting with '#blacklisted'
    00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:2a72]
        Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
        Kernel modules: forcedeth
    Reason for "bad line"...

Code:
    # cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf
    #On many Realtek Ethernet controllers the old device driver rtl8xxxu does
        #not work reliably.  To solve this the rtl8xxxu kernel module has to be
        #blacklisted to enable the system to load the new device driver rtl8192eu.
    blacklist rtl8xxxu
    or
    Code:
    inxi -Nxx
    *The latter command will provide driver version as well.

BTW, are both distros using the same driver?
    Code:
     # inxi -NxxNetwork:
      Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard type: network bridge 
      driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 10de:03ef 
    localhost:/home/ion #
    No, Ubuntu uses rtl8xxxu, and since it works, I didn't need to change it.

More data. I think the problem has been created by the latest software update. When I did an update on #1 desktop I noticed there was an update for blocking rtl8xxx. It flashed by and I couldn't copy it. I looked at the log file but couldn't find it. My other desktop (#3) was updated last night and as the usb dongle was not connected at the time being on #1 desktop, I had connected via cable. It has functioned perfectly well unti I tried to connect this morning with the usb dongle. It would not accept the connection password and the connection nickname had changed.

So it looks to me that the software update has caused the problem. Is it possible that the 8192eu driver is now included in rtl8xxx and that I should unblock it?

Default AW: Weak wifi signal

So it looks to me that the software update has caused the problem. Is it possible that the 8192eu driver is now included in rtl8xxx and that I should unblock it?
    Maybe.

Insert the dongle and post:
    Code:
    lsusb

Default Re: AW: Weak wifi signal

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Maybe.

Insert the dongle and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
     :~> lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:0108  
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:0108
    Delete the rtl8192eu and the blacklixst rpm, restart your computer.

Its in the rtl8xxxu

Default Re: AW: Weak wifi signal

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Delete the rtl8192eu and the blacklixst rpm, restart your computer.

Its in the rtl8xxxu
    Followed your instruction, and now I have no wifi at all.

Code:
     :~> sudo iwconfig[sudo] password for root: 
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

And here is what YaST reports...

Code:
     # Status             Package                        | Summary                                  | Installed (Available)     | 5

[Keep]               rtl8xxxu-kmp-default           | RTL8XXXu USB mac80211 Wireless LAN Dr... | 5.2.11_k5.3.18_lp152.41-lp152.4.8 |  246.9 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     rtl8192eu-blacklist-rtl8xxxu   | To favour rtl8192eu blacklist the rtl... | (5.6.4-lp152.21.8)        |      248 B
    [Do Not Install]     rtl8xxxu-debugsource           | Debug sources for package rtl8xxxu       | (5.2.11-lp152.4.8)        |  700.2 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     rtl8xxxu-kmp-default-debuginfo | Debug information for package rtl8xxx... | (5.2.11_k5.3.18_lp152.41-lp152.4.8) |    2.8 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     rtl8xxxu-kmp-preempt           | RTL8XXXu USB mac80211 Wireless LAN Dr... | (5.2.11_k5.3.18_lp152.41-lp152.4.8) |  247.4 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     rtl8xxxu-kmp-preempt-debuginfo | Debug information for package rtl8xxx... | (5.2.11_k5.3.18_lp152.41-lp152.4.8) |    2.8 MiB
    So it looks like it's not in rtl8xxxu-kmp-default.

Delete also:
    Code:
    rtl8xxxu-kmp-default
    Its in the kernel.......
    Code:
    modinfo rtl8xxxu
    filename:       /lib/modules/5.8.11-1.gf4bb27a-default/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu/rtl8xxxu.ko.xz
    That is from kernel:stable kernel but its also in the 5.3 kernel from Leap 15.2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast