Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enabling VirtualBox guest to access a remote (network) NFS share

Default Enabling VirtualBox guest to access a remote (network) NFS share

If I change the VirtualBox network setting (Machine > Settings > Network > Attached to: > NAT [default]) to Bridged Adapter and select the appropriate Ethernet adapter in the drop-down (not wireless), it appears that this will enable me to access an NFS share on another machine (running NFS server) from the guest machine (Windows in this case). See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...etwork_bridged.

Please tell me if this is correct and any possible downsides.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Enabling VirtualBox guest to access a remote (network) NFS share

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    If I change the VirtualBox network setting (Machine > Settings > Network > Attached to: > NAT [default]) to Bridged Adapter and select the appropriate Ethernet adapter in the drop-down (not wireless), it appears that this will enable me to access an NFS share on another machine (running NFS server) from the guest machine (Windows in this case). See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...etwork_bridged.

Please tell me if this is correct and any possible downsides.
    Hi
    I always run a bridged interface for virtual machines, if the host has two network (not wireless) interfaces, if not pop in a cheap PCIx1 card, assuming a desktop, for laptops have found the USB to ethernet devices adequate.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Can I use the same interface (e.g., eth0) for both the host and the guest, in the bridged mode?

Blog Entries

Can I use the same interface (e.g., eth0) for both the host and the guest, in the bridged mode?
    Hi
    No, then you would need to use NAT.... Is this a desktop or laptop?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Desktop (the machine discussed in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...rated-graphics - thank you for responding there).

I thought NAT does not allow guest access to the network. Perhaps there is some way I can mount the "remote" network shares in the Windows guest with the attachment set to NAT.

I only have eth0 and 5 virtual machines bridged to eth0 - it works fine has for 12 years and 7 upgrades.

I use static ip's on all my virtual machines so I can ssh into them if I have an issue.

vm1 ends in 101
    vm2 ends in 102
    vm5 ends in 105
    Opensuse 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Thanks. The goal here is to treat the machine with the NFS shares as a network attached storage (NAS) device.

Blog Entries

Hopefully to clarify some misinformation...

The Guest should be able to use a bridge device configured for bridging and then participate on the real network like any other machine virtual or physical. And, this should fully support NFS shares. As a fully capable host on the network, Guests using bridging connections will use any network services on the network the same as any physical machine.

When configured with a NAT connection, unlike all other virtualization Virtualbox Guests share the same IP address as the HostOS but should again support NFS shares. If you want to configure your Guest with its own, unique NAT IP address, you have to configure to use a NAT-network connection in the Guest's network properties... not NAT.

When a Guest is configured to use any kind of NAT, the machine should have full access to anything on the network including network shares. The problem is not making outbound connections, it's that remote machines cannot easily initiate an inbound connection. This is why NAT is most often used for workstations and Desktops which might need resources from remote machines, but are practically never used for Servers which respond to requests from other machines.

If you run into problems setting up a network share,
    - Be aware of the NAT vs NAT-network connection only in Virtualbox.
    - Be aware that name resolution if required must be provided by an external authority, there is no local service on the Host that can provide name resolution (although technically there typically is a forwarding service that's not authoritative)

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

NAT allows the guest to access the network. I update NAT VM's all the time - I have 20 Virtual Machines in NAT - some Windows - some Various Flavors of Linux.
    The Only VM's I have with Bridge and static IP's are those that the Internet has access to.
    NAT does not allow the network to access the guest as the NAT IP address is not accessible from the network.
    Opensuse 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    No, then you would need to use NAT.... Is this a desktop or laptop?
    No that's not correct. I only use bridged mode for my (VirtualBox) VM guest on a laptop with one wired ethernet interface.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast