Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enabling VirtualBox guest to access a remote (network) NFS share

Default Re: Enabling VirtualBox guest to access a remote (network) NFS share

tsu2 -

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I acknowledge that I am not at all familiar with the various network modes, even after reading and re-reading the relevant sections of Chapter 6 of the VirtualBox manual, as well as several third-party websites.

I'm not following the "inbound connection" issue. At the risk of belaboring the issue, if one of the PCs on the network is running NFS server and providing shares for every physical machine on the network (accessed either through autofs or systemd.automount), can the Windows guest be configured to permit the guest to access the shares on demand? A SAMBA share? Please note that the server PC is a platform running native openSuSE and not virtual.

Blog Entries

For mixed OS environments, Samba is a good option for file sharing. However, here is a guide for installing and using an NFS client with Windows 10....

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

deano_ferrari -

Thank you for that link. As I was drafting my last post, I began to wonder how does one configure the Windows machine to see an NFS share. And I haven't used SAMBA since somewhere back in Suse version 9 or 10.

Would your bridged configuration permit bidirectional (read/write) access to an NFS share on your network?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    deano_ferrari -

Thank you for that link. As I was drafting my last post, I began to wonder how does one configure the Windows machine to see an NFS share. And I haven't used SAMBA since somewhere back in Suse version 9 or 10.

Would your bridged configuration permit bidirectional (read/write) access to an NFS share on your network?
    Yes, it effectively connects the guest to the LAN (same subnet) as with the other hosts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    No that's not correct. I only use bridged mode for my (VirtualBox) VM guest on a laptop with one wired ethernet interface.
    Hi
    Then it must be some foo in Virtualbox, never used it, always have virtual machines (qemu) with own interfaces via a bridge I enjoy my 1Gb network speeds
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    deano_ferrari -

Samba file sharing is simple enough to set up. Some openSUSE guides that may be of interest to you...

https://cubiclenate.com/linux/system...e-samba-setup/
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...cha-samba.html
    https://en.opensuse.org/Samba

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Then it must be some foo in Virtualbox, never used it, always have virtual machines (qemu) with own interfaces via a bridge I enjoy my 1Gb network speeds
    It's just bridging (virtual and real interfaces). I have no need for such fast speeds in the context of the VMs I use/support. At work, we have VMs in use for mobile radio applications, with bridging employed.

FWIW...
    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kvm-bridged.html

Thank you all for the feedback and helpful suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12