Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving dual monitors with CPU integrated graphics

Default Driving dual monitors with CPU integrated graphics

I am choosing components for a business, non-gaming desktop PC, with dual, identical NEC monitors (extended display, not cloned). The native OS will be the current version of openSuSE Linux with a virtual machine (VirtualBox) for Windows. Typical applications would be word processing, pdf generation, Internet browsing, and image rendering (Photoshop, GIMP); no video rendering.

Until now, I have used discrete nVidia-based graphics cards with dual DVI-I outputs, each monitor set to a resolution of 1920 x 1200. These cards have worked well with openSuSE, requiring very little in the way of configuration, especially in recent years.

Nevertheless, given the performance advances in CPUs, I am exploring CPU integrated graphics offered in AMD Ryzen 5 and Intel Core i3 and i5 series microprocessors as an alternative to a discrete card. In addition to DVI-I inputs, the monitors have one HDMI input and one DisplayPort input (daisy chaining is not an option), and the motherboards I am considering have HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, apparently a fairly standard configuration.

One concern I have is whether running one monitor from an HDMI output and the other from a DisplayPort will afford the same uniform video signals to the two monitors (see, e.g., https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...rated+graphics). Some claim that a port splitter may be employed, but others run into performance or configuration difficulties with such devices.

Since I have very little experience with integrated graphics, HDMI, and DisplayPort, the effectiveness of these options appears uncertain. Although a discrete card adds expense, increases power consumption, and generates additional heat, it works and works well. Perhaps that's a more sensible way to proceed.

I am interested in your experience with integrated graphics and dual monitors, and welcome your comments and suggestions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Driving dual monitors with CPU integrated graphics

Hi
    I'm running three 1920x1080 screens (Tumbleweed) off the Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 CPU/GPU, one is display port as well as audio to screen, one DVI-D to HDMI and the other DVD-I (adapter converting to HDMI) and another adapter converting to VGA this screen is used via an HDMI switch for my virtual machines [WinX, Leap, Tumbleweed, SLES and SLED] (it will switch to HDMI soon so have all three monitors the same). No issues performance wise here, all works a treat, I had to set the default sound output so it uses the display port rather than external speakers, that was probably the only thing that took some research to configure and work on a reboot.

Code:
     pinxi -GSxxz
    System:    Kernel: 5.8.7-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: clang v: 11.0.0 Desktop: GNOME 3.36.6 tk: GTK 3.24.22 
               wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20200919 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
               chip ID: 8086:016a 
               Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 450.66 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Device-3: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 450.66 bus ID: 05:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Device-4: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 450.66 bus ID: 06:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 compositor: gnome-shell driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
               alternate: intel,nouveau,nv resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz 3: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics P4000 (IVB GT2) v: 4.2 Mesa 20.1.7 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes
    You will also note the nvidia cards, one for the VM's when in use, these are cheap low power cards and passive cooling, I just use the cuda cores...

I would check the CPU specs if it has integrated graphics to see what is possible eg screens it can power and total dimensions. If I was going for a newer setup, then would look at the AMD line, cores and ram are always good
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you. I would be relying solely on the integrated graphics for the entire machine (both the native openSuSE OS and the virtual machine) - no discrete graphics card at this time.

At this moment, I have not been able to locate AMD or Intel documentation for their respective current processors (I'm still looking). Third-party sites appear to state that they will support my 1920 x 1200 resolution, but I need to confirm that.

And, yes, AMD is something I will consider along side with Intel.

You mentioned adapters in your post:
    one DVI-D to HDMI and the other DVD-I (adapter converting to HDMI) and another adapter converting to VGA
    Are those PCIe devices or external cable-type adapters? Passive or active?

You may use your Nvidia graphics card if they are still supported (even with APU).

HDMI and DP supports 1920x1200 at 60+ Hz from theirs creation.

IMHO AMD is a preferable solution right now.

With AMD APU I expect no troubles with dual monitors.

But there are some restrictions with chipsets:

1. X570 costs too much.
    2. B550 and A520 provides official support only for Renoir APUs (may support older CPUs unofficial). IDK about support of Renoir APUs in Leap 15.2, AMD's Picasso works.

So maybe B450 or X470 are preferable.
    Chipsets A320/B350/X370 are also usable.

Check for graphics ports and its capabilities on manufacture's websites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    You mentioned adapters in your post:Are those PCIe devices or external cable-type adapters? Passive or active?
    Hi
    Passive cable-type adapters, DVI-D and DVI-I are different, hence the adapters....

Blog Entries

Thank you. I would be relying solely on the integrated graphics for the entire machine (both the native openSuSE OS and the virtual machine) - no discrete graphics card at this time.

At this moment, I have not been able to locate AMD or Intel documentation for their respective current processors (I'm still looking). Third-party sites appear to state that they will support my 1920 x 1200 resolution, but I need to confirm that.

And, yes, AMD is something I will consider along side with Intel.
    Hi
    Something like this;
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-4300g
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-10-ghz.html

Then it will be dependent on the motherboard you choose as to what's available.... need to find one with a couple on integrated NIC's or at least PCIX1 for an external card....

Malcolm -

Thanks for the info on the adapters. And the spec sheets.

Unless I'm missing something, AMD doesn't provide specific resolutions. But ASUS does (and I gather other manufacturers do as well):
    Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics /Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics /7th Generation A-Series APU Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DisplayPort ports - Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz - Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz Maximum shared memory of 2048 MB (for iGPU exclusively)
    Source: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

What did you mean by the following?
    need to find one [motherboard] with a couple on integrated NIC's or at least PCIX1 for an external card....

Blog Entries

Malcolm -

Thanks for the info on the adapters. And the spec sheets.

Unless I'm missing something, AMD doesn't provide specific resolutions. But ASUS does (and I gather other manufacturers do as well):Source: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

What did you mean by the following?
    Hi
    For running virtual machines on separate interfaces if needed Or have a PCIX1 slot at least if your wanting additional items going forward.

Thanks. Do I correctly understand your response to mean that a separate interface is not necessary to run in the bridged mode unless required for some other purpose? I.e., both the host and the guest can share a single interface?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast