Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: boot problem with Leap 42.2 - can I install open SUSE 15.2

Default Re: boot problem with Leap 42.2 - can I install open SUSE 15.2

Hej guys!

sounds like I should say something about what do I need so much memory for!
    I analyze large scale biological sequencing data. I analyze environmental microbes and how different organisms are related to each other. For the most heavy tasks I need to find nodes elsewhere but to be relatively independent this is a good choice. Once it is up and running. As it has been for a while :>

So far I always had a support of an actual computer person but now I am living the dream and being an independent researcher, haha! with just enough money for myself and some sequencing and the computer.
    I have spent substantial time trying to convince the department there are more efficient solutions than having each bioinformatic phd student, post doc and researcher fight with their Linux in the silent desperation of their office. Of course there a lot more people like me around, some of them with openSUSE 12.1 or older. I am sure sometime in the next decade the department will make up their mind and hire someone to help everyone. But for the moment, if you use windows or mac, then sure you should have the comport support (1 for 50 people but still), but if you want Linux - good luck and goodnight ;-)

and in fact goodnight!

tomorrow I shall try the dry-install - fingers crossed!

Is is very worrying that warning about partition running outside the physical size od the disk? It sounds bad right....?
    I am not sure how did that happened. It was not like this from the beginning, I am pretty sure! I must have done something. Eh....

I will consider and google around you advice about the root partition!
    From what I have seen most people never touch the Linux version once they have installed all the tools, because it is such a pain and something always breaks down after major upgrades. I try to discuss this around more consciously now. It is also problematic to be stuck in an un-supported version. Maybe someone came up with something smart.
    One can somehow simulate a specific operating system inside a running one, right?

Hello!

I found the place to change the boot order.
    (For anyone looking, after reboot you have to hit Esc until BIOS (blue-grey screen in my case) shows up, and then select Boot option in the menu. This is were you can understand something more easily).
    I placed the CD/DVD #1 and kept the disk as the second option.
    (I could not figure out exactly how the +/- works. If you have any helpful descriptions explaining that it would be good to know it for future. Just pressing until you get what you want is rather inefficient)
    One of the names I saw in the other menu (DRW-24D5MT) is indeed the CD/DVD. I guess that is how the physical entity is called and the other words are the communication between the physical drive and the operating systems.

Voila! I can use my install DVD and start the installation. 5 minutes of success. YAY!

Unfortunately the screen goes black.
    I have now selected 'Check installation media' instead and the device with the openSUSE 15.2 build, got an OK.
    It was loading something afterwards and printed some commands lines.
    There is the green bar in 3 colors that appears. Apparently I can hit Esc on that screen to see something more. Perhaps where it hangs...?
    The screen goes black after a while.

The advice I found is to try:
    1 - using text mode of the installer
    It is possible to select 'Text Mode' after pressing F3 in the main menu (Installer Size, Text Console Size, Video BIOS Size AND Text Mode, Color Mode, Screen Reader).
    Btw I still see the 'F3 Video mode. Default' when I go back with Esc, perhaps the text mode is added. Should this change?

2 - adding 'nomodeset' in the boot options
    The advice I found was to strike 'e' after selecting (highlighting) the 'Installation'.
    But I don't get the screen from the descriptions I saw. The 'e' is simply written in the Boot Options below. I do not see any lines beginning with 'linux' to append 'nomodeset' to. Not sure if perhaps I should just write nomodeset (no spaces, no '') in the Boot Options.
    I am not feeling adventurous enough to just try. Maybe I should.

Any tips?
    Does all this mean that I have problems with graphic card drivers....?

cheers,
    Kasia

Exclamation Re: boot problem with Leap 42.2 - can I install open SUSE 15.2

I did hit the Esc on the green bar to see some more.
    Here is what I get:

Loading basic drivers... ok
    Starting hardware detection... ok
    (If a driver is not working for you, try booting with brokenmodules=driver_name.)

Activating usb devices... ok
    Intel 1350 Gigabit Network Connection
    drivers: igb*
    Intel 1350 Gigabit Network Connection
    drivers: igb*
    Loading Installation System (1/6) - 100%
    Loading Installation System (2/6) - 100%
    Loading Installation System (3/6) - 100%
    Loading Installation System (4/6) - 100%
    Loading Installation System (5/6) - missing (optional)
    Loading Installation System (6/6) - 100%
    starting rsyslogd (logging to /dev/tty4)... ok
    starting klogd... ok
    starting nscd... ok
    starting yast...
    Starting Installer
    Probing connected terminal...

Initializing virtual console...

Found a Linux console terminal on /dev/console (400 columns x 135 lines)

-BLACK SCREEN-

Dell Ultra Sharp 27 Monitor
    Scanning for signal
    U2718Q

No HDMI signal from your device

I had these last two error messages(?) before. At one point my HDMI cable was not to working. I am not sure why, it seemed physically broke at the end.
    I had a black screen. I replaced the cable. Everything worked again.

I can boot into openSUSE 42.2 from the hard drive and use the computer (screen works, basics work).
    So I just ignored these messages.

any tips appreciated!

Kasia

adding nomodeset to the boot options DID help. It seems I am getting more and more brave!
    I am checking the installation and pershaps finally came to the source of my problems?

Confirm Package Licence: Mesa-dri-nouveau

WARNING: (...)
    known to have issues (...)
    symptoms include application crashed or lockups & crashes (...)

NO! I do not want a driver that is known to crash, especially with the KDE Desktop Environment that I was using and now selected again.

It seems I am talking to myself at this point. Well I Disagreed to this choice and I am making a fresh install.
    Thanks a lot for the moral support along the way.
    And hopefully see you at the other side

with post starting openSUSE 15.2 and whatever will be my next problem ;-)

Kasia

If you feel like trying to installe Nvidia drivers the "easy" way try following this :https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-safe-quot-way
    if your machine is desktop, forget anything that has to do with Bumblebee.

Quote Originally Posted by kasiazar View Post
    Is is very worrying that warning about partition running outside the physical size od the disk? It sounds bad right....?
    This means your partition(s) are misaligned. Meaning that you cloned a partition from one drive to another but the beginning and end of the partition is not algined with what the partition table says (whether it be GPT or MBR). This shouldn't be a problem at all for now.
    I am not sure how did that happened. It was not like this from the beginning, I am pretty sure! I must have done something. Eh....

I will consider and google around you advice about the root partition!
    From what I have seen most people never touch the Linux version once they have installed all the tools, because it is such a pain and something always breaks down after major upgrades. I try to discuss this around more consciously now. It is also problematic to be stuck in an un-supported version. Maybe someone came up with something smart.
    One can somehow simulate a specific operating system inside a running one, right?
    Incidentially, I work large data as well and to me 64GB is max RAM I've ever used and none of my machines have SWAP. For you application if your computer never uses SWAP, this is a large storage space you can use for something else.

As for people who have the tools installed and never touching them (and the OS)... I hate to say it but they are the people who are too afraid to progress in their own growth at least in terms of computational knowledge. Some (actually most) people I know are like that but the IT and I are in good relations because we share notes on how to make some old tools to work with old and new tools to work with old OS. Since the slogan of linux is "do it yourself", often you do not have many people who can help you with your specific tool unless if they use the same specific tool kit. I personally build work-arounds and share it with my IT and anyone who may be interested.

Almost always, the compatibility issue between old tools v.s. new OS can be very easily resolved by finding out which library is not compatible and install the older packages from red hat repositories and set up a symbollic link. This is a bit more involved. Feel free to break and make your installations, I learn something new each time I break something.

And exactly what video hardware do you have??? With a 128gig machine I assume you have a very recent NVIDIA or AMD card.

Nouveau always says that warning it is generally stable but may not support new cutting edge hardware. Best to use NVIDIA driver and also get the ability to use the GPU for computation which may help on very large data sets.

Thanks so much for this link on installing NVIDIA!!!
    I followed the procedure up to the bumblebee installation and need to leave it for now. But the resolution problem is fixed =) YAY!!! I can see things properly

I read up a little om the bumblebee and it seems good for energy saving etc...? I was trying to see if I need it.

Can you educate me on the forum etiquette?
    I would like to do something about all this helpful advice I received. Can I give my feedback in some other way than writing here you guys are awesome?
    Do you rate helpful comments or anything like that? I dont see any options in the thread.

I am still processing the rest, about partitions, memory etc.

Kasia

Thanks so much for this link on installing NVIDIA!!!
    I followed the procedure up to the bumblebee installation and need to leave it for now. But the resolution problem is fixed =) YAY!!! I can see things properly

I read up a little om the bumblebee and it seems good for energy saving etc...? I was trying to see if I need it.

I would like to do something about all this helpful advice I received. Can I give my feedback in some other way than writing here you guys are awesome?
    Do you rate helpful comments or anything like that? I dont see any options in the thread.

I am still processing the rest, about partitions, memory etc.

Kasia
    Bumblebee is only for laptops with dedicated Nvidia GPU cards. This is to switch from using intel integrated GPU to Nvidia GPU on demand for specific applications and/or sessions. Another "funny" part is that Bumblebee is no longer officially supported, and I'm one of the few who is still using it and making it to work for my personal usage. Many people will recommend that you use suse-prime which is in support.

Kasia
    When you say "thank you, it helped" or simlilar in answer to a post, that is fine.

You can also use the * button below a post.
    Henk van Velden

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast