Thread: Resizing Raspi 4 Tumbleweed partition to larger SD

Default Resizing Raspi 4 Tumbleweed partition to larger SD

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 16GB SD card with the Raspberry Pi version of OpenSuse Tumbleweed installed in it. It works nicely.

My question is: If I were to transfer the entire system to a larger SD (eg. a 64GB one) using dd, and then booted up the system with this new SD, will OpenSuse resize the partition to take the entire SD card? If not, is there a way to do it manually?

Default Re: Resizing Raspi 4 Tumbleweed partition to larger SD

It will not resize it - use gparted to resize it.
    Opensuse 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

If you use cloning software, you can clone disk to disk and the partition and file system should be automatically re-sized on the target disk.
    Otherwise,
    Normal methods should work to first resize the partition(s) (eg diskparted or fdisk) and then expanding the file system (depends on the file system format).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I copied the contents of the 16GB SD card to the 64GB SD card with dd, and then used the YaST Partitioner to expand the partition to take the entire SD space. It worked like a charm.

Thank you for your advise.