Thread: Passing of the Main Developer

Default Passing of the Main Developer

Hi...

My brother was the main creator and developer of three open source projects. He passed recently. I would hope that his projects would be continued, as he's a believer in open source. The projects require physics and mathematics expertise, which made it difficult to find contributors, so he mainly maintained and developed it himself.

I would like to get some ideas as to what to do to find some developers that might want to extend, but maybe, ultimately, just maintain it, as there are updates to libraries he might have used.

I won't list the projects here yet, (which I'm sure would be useful for some to evaluate the difficulty). I'm just hoping to get some ideas for now, as it's a very fresh development and I'm still processing what he would have wanted.

First off, it's freely hosted on sourceforge, so I think that will be fine for the code to continuing living on. Has anyone dealt with requesting login to assume a project?

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Passing of the Main Developer

Sad to hear and you're to be commended for what you are doing.

I'd start with any notes or comments he might have left behind to see if he shared any of his more technical work with anyone else who might also have some of that level of understanding.

Then, I'd try to identify users of his work. Maybe Sourceforge has download records, I don't know if identities are tracked. Inspect the bugzilla for institutional Users, if the code is important to a business or university, perhaps one or more of those might be willing to help finance a person to maintain the code at least partly in their own self-interest.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!