Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Ignored Lock

Default Upgrade Ignored Lock

I was running LEAP 15.1 with Thunderbird below 60(?) because I have been having problems getting it to accept my profile when Thunderbird 68 or higher gets installed (ran head long into this when trying to share /home with F32 (Fedora)). Interesting that I found out at work we have a related issue in SLED to RHEL migrations with directory/folders (z/Arch - S390). RHEL (SELinux?) has some kind of security hissy fit allowing other than root to access those directories!!

So to keep maintenance from forcing an upgrade, I locked FF and Thunderbird.

I had a problem where something, during a security patch cycle, caused me to lose sound. So I attempted to do an upgrade install using a LEAP 15.1 DVD where it could get to the internet and it then upgraded me to LEAP 15.2.

Yast showed the lock was still there for Thunderbird, but Thunderbird was gone. It had been replaced with a higher level. There goes my email, rules, address book, etc. again

Do I have a wrong understanding of the LOCK, or did the system violate the idea of the lock when it got rid of the older Thunderbird which it seems that I can't find a repository that will let me load it.

So I have been forced, for two reasons now, to go back to LEAP 15.1 as it was when I burned the DVD.

What I am asking specifically about is the LOCK function/feature. If one does an update install, should the system IGNORE the LOCK and force an update to a product/package any way? Or should it fail during the validating of the update process with a message about the LOCK?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade Ignored Lock

I don't know what is supposed to happen. But I am not at all surprised that an upgrade with DVD would ignore locks. Basically, that upgrade recreates the repo list.

If you had instead done an online upgrade -- update the repo definitions, then use "zypper dup" or
    Code:
    zypper --releasever=15.2 dup
    then it would have honored the locks, though that might have generated conflicts.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur View Post
    Yast showed the lock was still there for Thunderbird, but Thunderbird was gone. It had been replaced with a higher level. There goes my email, rules, address book, etc. again
    Actually, your email, rules, address book, etc should be in ".thunderbird" under your home directory. Checking my thunderbird email, I see that I still have a message from 2013.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Actually, your email, rules, address book, etc should be in ".thunderbird" under your home directory. Checking my thunderbird email, I see that I still have a message from 2013.
    It absolutely is because I can import it to Kmail. But I can't, using all their (Mozilla/Tbird) instructions, get all of that into the latest Thunderbird. It will not open that profile. Even with me using the profile manager type startup etc.

It is maddening to me. So I've gone back to Evolution (I had migrated from it to TBird 15(?) years ago).

But it is the Lock situation that concerns me. In past updates, I was told I had to do certain package/program work manually. I do not recall any such dialog with LEAP 15. So this is why I'm a bit concerned about LOCK handling.

Blog Entries

What I am asking specifically about is the LOCK function/feature. If one does an update install, should the system IGNORE the LOCK and force an update to a product/package any way? Or should it fail during the validating of the update process with a message about the LOCK?
    I am aware of updates and upgrades, but have no idea what "update install" refers to. I put a lock on plymouth and that works well since imposed when running "zypper dist-upgrade":

Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper locks

# | Name     | Type    | Repository
    --+----------+---------+-----------
    1 | plymouth | package | (any)

erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

I move my Thunderbird folder to new installs of TW or Leap on a regular base, with all the configured accounts, calender, locally stored emails, no problem at all. Only problem: to open a NEWER profile (not-ESR) on an install with ESR.

Sometimes I simply open Thunderbird on a fresh install, configure one account, close Thunderbird and then copy all the files from the OLD install into this fresh profile folder on the new install. Usually no problems...
    Kind regards

raspu

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    ... Only problem: to open a NEWER profile (not-ESR) on an install with ESR.
    If you need Thunderbird or Firefox to open an older profile you can start it from the command line with the option --allow-downgrade (need be done only the once, from then on TB/FF can be launched as normal).

Note though, there is no guarantee that a profile possibly modified by a later version will operate correctly... Ensure you save a copy of your profile before attempting the "downgrade".
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20201025) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    If you need Thunderbird or Firefox to open an older profile you can start it from the command line with the option --allow-downgrade (need be done only the once, from then on TB/FF can be launched as normal).

Note though, there is no guarantee that a profile possibly modified by a later version will operate correctly... Ensure you save a copy of your profile before attempting the "downgrade".
    Thank you for your efforts, but Sorry, but NO JOY. I had tried it and TBird ignored it or put up an error message window about not being able to use it. And I could not make any of their "migration" tricks work.

Where I was a developer, we did back flips to make sure software was backward compatible with prior releases/versions. Or we provided conversion tools (I can't tell you how many of those I've written). This forced migration where there is no back level read and auto convert is for users that are not seriously using TBird. I'm wondering how SLED is going to deal with this with future releases.

OH, I'm coming from SLED 15 to Suse LEAP 15.1. I needed something to work and got tired of waiting for them to resync repositories. And I had just renewed ($$).

On two installs I have FF and Thunderbird installed as downloaded directly from the respective websites and they check for the latest and greates from Mozilla/TB site when I open them. No problems...
    Kind regards

raspu

... but Sorry, but NO JOY. I had tried it and TBird ignored it or put up an error message window about not being able to use it. And I could not make any of their "migration" tricks work. ...
    Strange...

I used the --allow-downgrade option recently on a Leap 15.2 system ( as a temporary measure due to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1176384 ) without problem...

Just tested again on one of my Tumbleweed machines and it still works.

I currently have TB 78.2.2-3.3, temporarily replacing that with TB 68.12.0-1.1 and then launching TB from the command line with --allow-downgrade launched without any problem using the 78.2.2-3.3 profile. In this instance I didn't extensively test it, but all looked OK, accounts and mail present, able to send and receive mail...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20201025) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast