Unable to change virtual machine power state... after upgrading vmware workstation to 15.5.6

After upgrading all my suspended machines return the error
Unable to change virtual machine power state: Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

And some of the non suspended VMs (but not all of them) other error
VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (svga)
Unexpected signal: 4.

When I did the upgrade I had to do this because the installation was not working.
I have tried to uninstall and install again but it dind’t kork.

It’s Workstation pro.

First,
Cardinal rule.
Always shutdown all machines completely before upgrading.
Never upgrade with suspended, hibernated, etc machines not shut down completely.
And, that’s all types of upgrades even though you didn’t specify what upgrade you actually did.

And,
That’s a golden rule for all virtualization, not just VMware.

I assume your “upgrade” is openSUSE and not the VMware Workstation app?

Because I avoid this type of mistake, I’m not sure how you can recover or even if you can.
Hope you made good backups, especially since making a machine backup can be very easy (just copy the machine files).

One thing you might do as a first step is determine how extensive your problem is, if ony your existing machines are affected by creating a new installation to see if that works.
Another try(Remember to make copies before making any changes) is to remove the memory “lck” files, when you do this you’d be removing whatever is in the suspended memory so there’s a good chance you’d lose whatever wark was suspended but at least if your machine boots, the VM isn’t completely lost.

Maybe you can install the version of openSUSE you had before on a machine, install VMware, copy your virtual machines to this new platform and see if they still work (a good chance it’ll work if you haven’t damaged your VMs).

TSU

I upgraded them both. I upgraded Opensuse to 15.2, then vvmware stopped working so I upgraded it.

Because I avoid this type of mistake, I’m not sure how you can recover or even if you can.

To be kept in mind from now on. I had always done upgrades without been careful to check that, no problem till now.

Hope you made good backups, especially since making a machine backup can be very easy (just copy the machine files).

yes, of course I have, luckily I did not have to use them.

One thing you might do as a first step is determine how extensive your problem is, if ony your existing machines are affected by creating a new installation to see if that works.
Another try(Remember to make copies before making any changes) is to remove the memory “lck” files, when you do this you’d be removing whatever is in the suspended memory so there’s a good chance you’d lose whatever wark was suspended but at least if your machine boots, the VM isn’t completely lost.

Maybe you can install the version of openSUSE you had before on a machine, install VMware, copy your virtual machines to this new platform and see if they still work (a good chance it’ll work if you haven’t damaged your VMs).

TSU

I Tried to downgrade VMWARE to 15.5.6 and then to 15.5.2. After installing it I had to do

wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/archive/player-15.5.2.tar.gz
tar -xvzf player-15.5.2.tar.gz
cd vmware-host-modules-player-15.5.2/
tar --create --file vmmon.tar vmmon-only
tar --create --file vmnet.tar vmnet-only
cp vm*.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

and it worked fine.

best regards

Congrats,
If you were able to rebuild a working previous version of VMware Workstation and make it work.

Using the pre-built kernel modules is only your preferred method, the usual way of building the kernel modules should also work.
Now, you can shut down your Guests properly and you should be able to upgrade successfully…

TSU