Thread: Screens messed up after update today 9-15-20

Default Screens messed up after update today 9-15-20

I just checked and installed the updates available today as of 1pm CST for tumbleweed running kde and found the following. I have a laptop with a external monitor, the laptop is the primary screen and marked as such in the display config. Everything has been fine until today's update, upon a reboot the desktop would not boot correctly. The spinning icon when suse boots was stuck kinda between the two screens when it's usually on the laptop screen. After things booted neither screen was usable as the extended screen showed a piece of the lock screen while it's not locked and a piece of the normal background. The laptop screen or primary screen showed some of it's normal background but not all of it as some of it was on the extended screen. The kde menu bar / launcher ..whatever was not on either screen. I rolled back to a snapshot for now but wanted to report this and see if others have this issue. While I'm running a nvidia card with the nvidia drivers I don't think this is a issue as I have the driver and the kernel pinned since I'm waiting on the new nvidia drivers to support the new kernel that dropped a few weeks ago. I've updated several times since then with zero issue. There is a error on booting before the suse splash screen that says something like error on installing kernel variables or something...there's a post on this from somebody else but I've not seen anybody report the issue I'm having. Thanks guys. I think it's a issue with kde....

sudo lspci; lsmod |grep nv && uname -a
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF114M [GeForce GTX 670M] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    nvidia_drm 57344 2
    nvidia_modeset 1060864 16 nvidia_drm
    nvidia 15843328 598 nvidia_modeset
    drm_kms_helper 262144 1 nvidia_drm
    ipmi_msghandler 81920 2 ipmi_devintf,nvidia
    drm 581632 5 drm_kms_helper,nvidia_drm
    Linux localhost.localdomain 5.7.11-1-default #1 SMP Wed Jul 29 09:32:21 UTC 2020 (5015994) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    neal@localhost:~>

Blog Entries

Default Re: Screens messed up after update today 9-15-20

I doubt that the kernel variables issue is the cause of your problem.

Here, I don't have Nvidia graphics and I don't have multiple screens. So I cannot test for your problem.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I doubt that the kernel variables issue is the cause of your problem.

Here, I don't have Nvidia graphics and I don't have multiple screens. So I cannot test for your problem.

I think it's something kde related, I don't see why that would be the issue either nor do I think the kernel and nvidia drivers are the issue as the exact same ones have been working fine on every other update. Thanks!

I just updated and after rebooting my main monitor was messed up. I have an amd video card and use the open drivers. I used the KDE Display and Monitor settings to find that the resolutions for my main and secondary monitor (different sizes) were changed. Selecting the correct resolution and applying the changes fixed things and seems to have survived a reboot.

I just did another reboot. Displays were messed up again, but the settings dialog showed the correct values. Selecting a different resolution, applying it, selecting the correct resolution and applying it restore things. Not a great solution but a work around until this gets fixed.

Also mentioned here: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00147.html

Yesterday I re-pluggued my second monitor, at the same time I had upgraded to latest snapshot. The desktop was messed up, left monitor was virtually to the right of the physically right monitor. I could have just swapped monitors (or cables) but felt lazy. But also, monitor at the left completely black. I just assumed it was normal business, not that plasma coincidentally brought a bug in the latest snapshot.

While I had the nouveau drivers, I had this monitor swapping / black desktop all the time. Monitor IDs kept changing, which broke the plasma applets settings. Installing nvidia fixed the monitor ids, and a xorg.conf fixed the left-right ordering. I deactivated KScreen.

It's annoying to have this xorg.conf in place, since removing a monitor renders the system unbootable. I guess I could try KScreen again, with nouveau it was as good as nothing, maybe with nvidia it's different.

TL;DR: restored the xorg.conf from the last time I had dual-monitors (generated with NVIDIA X Server Settings), then patched the plasma conf (lastScreen options)
    openSUSE Tumbleweed