Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fstab alternatives for mounting external drive partition

Default Re: fstab alternatives for mounting external drive partition

Matter of taste. I prefer a more general, Unix/Linux like approach.

BTW, when the OP says "I access .....", it is always unclear to me who is the "I" in this (and many other sayings on the forum) story. The system does have no concept of "I". It knows users.
    And while Dolphin certainly is something to be used from the GUI, I do not know about luckyBackup (do not know the application). Thus it could even be that the "I" from the OP uses software from the CLI (without a GUI being started).

As said, I try to avoid all those "it may work when ..., and when ..., etc." by choosing Unix solutions as they have worked since more then 50 years whenever that is possible.

But it is all a matter of taste and maybe a matter of being old-fashioned.
    Henk van Velden

Henk -

Thank you for pointing out the _netdev option.

If I understand it correctly, the option is needed because during bootup, the NFS server may not be available when the remote share is mounted. The seems to be the sequence in my boot.log. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    Henk -

Thank you for pointing out the _netdev option.

If I understand it correctly, the option is needed because during bootup, the NFS server may not be available when the remote share is mounted. The seems to be the sequence in my boot.log. Is this correct?
    Yes, that is what I remember.
    I am trying to find the documentation of _netdev in a man page, but failed until now.
    Henk van Velden

Found it in
    Code:
    man 8 mount
    under "FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT MOUNT OPTIONS":
    _netdev
    The filesystem resides on a device that requires network access (used to prevent the system from attempting to mount these filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).
    Strange one, it is the only one starting with a _.
    Henk van Velden

Henk -

Thank you. Here's where I found the information that spurred me to look at my boot.log:

http://codingberg.com/linux/systemd_...v_mount_option

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    Henk -

Thank you. Here's where I found the information that spurred me to look at my boot.log:

http://codingberg.com/linux/systemd_...v_mount_option
    Thanks for that link. Nice article. So we do not need it, but it does not harm.

I would like to change the last sentence
    consider using systemd-automount option, it's similar to what autofs does, but it's easier to configure.
    into
    consider using systemd-automount option, it's similar to what autofs does, and it's even a bit easier to configure.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am trying to find the documentation of _netdev in a man page, but failed until now.
    man systemd.mount

"Mount units referring to local and network file systems are distinguished by their file system type specification. In some cases this is not sufficient (for example network block device based mounts, such as iSCSI), in which case _netdev may be added to the mount option string of the unit, which forces systemd to consider the mount unit a network mount."

"_netdev: Normally the file system type is used to determine if a mount is a "network mount", i.e. if it should only be started after the network is available. Using this option overrides this detection and specifies that the mount requires network."
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12