Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Suse or how I ended up here

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice on Suse or how I ended up here

Quote Originally Posted by SecCon View Post
    oh, I better sort out the initial software configuration too... so many boxes to tick...
    Hi
    You do know about rolling your own image? SUSE Studio Express
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

@SecCon:

While browsing, I noticed that, you may have to, in addition, install the package “iscsiuio” –
    Linux Broadcom NetXtremem II iscsi server

This tool is to be used in conjunction with the Broadcom NetXtreme II Linux driver (Kernel module name: "bnx2" and "bnx2x"), Broadcom CNIC driver, and the Broadcom iSCSI driver (Kernel module name: "bnx2i"). This user-space tool is used in conjunction with the following Broadcom Network Controllers: * bnx2: BCM5706, BCM5708, BCM5709 devices * bnx2x: BCM57710, BCM57711, BCM57711E, BCM57712, BCM57712E, BCM57800, BCM57810, BCM57840 devices This utility will provide the ARP and DHCP functionality for the iSCSI offload. The communication to the driver is done via user-space I/O (Kernel module name "uio").
    Please note that, the Leap 15.2 default Kernel also includes the bnx2 and bnx2x firmware: “/lib/modules/5.3.18-lp152.41-default/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    @SecCon:

While browsing, I noticed that, you may have to, in addition, install the package “iscsiuio” –

Please note that, the Leap 15.2 default Kernel also includes the bnx2 and bnx2x firmware: “/lib/modules/5.3.18-lp152.41-default/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/
    Hi
    That's part of the distribution (should get installed by default) uio module is there as well, there is also the YaST iSCSI Client Configuration module available. All the tools needed are there AFAIK
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You do know about rolling your own image? SUSE Studio Express

No, not as such, I have seen other tools to customize images https://build.opensuse.org/ but now I see it links to the same....

hmm...

But using Leaf I get three options out of which 2 may be relevant, but still ain't...

JeOS is not relevant, not a VM, Kiwi, to be honest no clue. Leap is supposed to be the host so how can I use a docker image as host?

I think I should make a full installation of Leap and select configuration while installing it. At least it makes sense to me considering the three options in Build?

I had planned to ask this separately after reading up on it a bit more, but since you point...

On containers... a bolder move is to install TW with transaction updates. Then you'll have podman v2 in repositories. Podman is Docker without a daemon, leading to a better experience alongside systemd, which might be useful for a server. It also can run completely rootless, although it doesn't seem to be something you'll need. Leap has podman v1, which I didn't use so can't advise.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    On containers... a bolder move is to install TW with transaction updates. Then you'll have podman v2 in repositories. Podman is Docker without a daemon, leading to a better experience alongside systemd, which might be useful for a server. It also can run completely rootless, although it doesn't seem to be something you'll need. Leap has podman v1, which I didn't use so can't advise.

Bolder? Is Podman anything like Portainer? Cause I tried that one but as usual I ended up in a small jungle of issues that lead me to scrap it for not getting it to run/work.

From what I understand TW seems to be more of a developer platform, while Leaf is more long term stable, and choosing between them I would probably go for Leaf, but considering I have nothing that works except Webmin in my intended setup, one may be as good as the other...

Bolder? Is Podman anything like Portainer? Cause I tried that one but as usual I ended up in a small jungle of issues that lead me to scrap it for not getting it to run/work.
    No, podman is a full replacement for docker, and it implements a very similar command line interface. podman was forked from the original docker a while ago. While similar, there's a couple differences that really makes it stand out. When you call docker, you're talking to a client program, which talks to a docker server listening to a socket, which only then runs the container. The server runs as root. That's an effortless privilege escalation path for taking control of the machine. When you call podman, it forks itself into the process that runs the containerized environment. For a (desktop) development environment this is much better (no root involved), for a server, systemd can then manage the container life-cycle, capture logs, and so on. podman also can run as root, either logged in as root or using sudo.

YSK that both docker/podman would disable quotas on your btrfs filesystem (long-time bug), so don't use the btrfs driver. Choose the overlay (non-default when running over btrfs) or fuse-overlay (default for rootless) driver. I heard there's a way to avoid that bug but I haven't got time to investigate.

From what I understand TW seems to be more of a developer platform, while Leaf is more long term stable, and choosing between them I would probably go for Leaf, but considering I have nothing that works except Webmin in my intended setup, one may be as good as the other...
    Yeah, you got that right. That's what I meant with bolder. Most of the time we really want a Leap experience, but I mentioned TW because you'll get the latest podman & co. TW tends to break every new major kernel when there's out-of-tree kernel modules, like NVIDIA/VirtualBox/VMWare. When that happens folks either rollback to a previous snapshots or boot a previous kernel. Both workarounds are features provided by openSUSE.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    TW tends to break every new major kernel when there's out-of-tree kernel modules, like NVIDIA/VirtualBox/VMWare. When that happens folks either rollback to a previous snapshots or boot a previous kernel. Both workarounds are features provided by openSUSE.
    I know there may be others, but those three aren't relevant fro my setup, so ... no wait ... I am not sure I know what I am talking about, I am assuming hardware and or hypervisor stuff and in that context none are relevant for me. Having TW break every now and then does not sound appealing, even if fixable.

Going to browse around for setup info.... Need to have a clue what boxes to tick

BTW I am on Discord since yesterday...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12