Thread: No wireless internet

Default No wireless internet

Hey forum,

I am new to Suse even though I have Opensuse for quite some time. I have the opensuse leap 42.1 version on my Lenovo laptop and I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly.

Since firefox does not work I tried pip install some. I got the following:
    Retrying(Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(‘pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerfiedHTTPSConnection object at ...some address...: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known’,)’: simple/opensuse/
    (excuse possible typos, since I had to type it on my phone.)

If you have any pointers what I could do or possible solutions I would be really glad.

Have a good day,
    wowolo

Default Re: No wireless internet

Quote Originally Posted by wowolo View Post
    I have the opensuse leap 42.1 version on my Lenovo laptop and I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly.
    With the system administration tool YaST, check the Network settings:
    • For the case of a Laptop with WLAN, choose “Network Manager”.
    • Within YaST check that, the WLAN interface is present and active.
    • At a CLI prompt, type “ip link” to check if a WLAN interface is present and active – on Leap 42.1 you may have to use “ifconfig” to check the status of the network interfaces.

Blog Entries

Share your network hardware details if you get stuck...
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -iA3 net
    That will report both wired and wireless network devices. It should also report if a driver is loaded. As dcurtisfra already mentioned, the ip command can report if wlan0 (or similar) device node is present...
    Code:
    ip link
    If that checks out ok, you should be able to proceed with configuration.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Default AW: No wireless internet

I have the opensuse leap 42.1 version on my Lenovo laptop and I cannot connect to the internet wirelessly.
    Maybe you should better install an supported openSUSE Version, best is now openSUSE Leap 15.2.
    Better Hardware support, newer packages Versions etc.

Thanks for your answers and advice. I tried to update my distribution to 15.2 together with my friend but we somehow bodged it. At least, this makes my wlan problem disappear for now

Good weekend,
    wowolo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wowolo View Post
    Thanks for your answers and advice. I tried to update my distribution to 15.2 together with my friend but we somehow bodged it. At least, this makes my wlan problem disappear for now

Good weekend,
    wowolo
    Thanks for the update. (Always best to use a currently supported version as with any distro.)
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5