Thread: Cannot update tumbleweed

Question Cannot update tumbleweed

Hi!

I migrated to OpenSuse Tumbleweed in 2018 and haven't touched the system since then. On September 5, I wanted to update to the latest packages, ran zypper dup and everything is ok before installing the packages. But not a single package is installed (but they are removed, they have already lost yast):

In cache unrar-5.9.4-2.4.x86_64.rpm (1914/1914), 153.7 KiB (325.8 KiB unpacked)
    Checking for file conflicts: ...........................................................................................................................................[done]
    ( 1/2100) Installing: Mesa-KHR-devel-20.1.7-263.1.x86_64 ............................................................................................................[error]
    Installation of Mesa-KHR-devel-20.1.7-263.1.x86_64 failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic
    error: Mesa-KHR-devel-20.1.7-263.1.x86_64: install failed

Suspect that the problem is related to the fact that current packages use zstd instead of bzip, but I do not understand how to fix the situation.

Default AW: Cannot update tumbleweed

Maybe update zypper and rpm before you update your system?

Default Re: AW: Cannot update tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Yes, that could help.

Not updated for about two years is a bit long for e "rolling release". It may have rolled too far to still have enough connections with the past.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Cannot update tumbleweed

Lately found a few years old TW not updated ever since. My conclusion: Install fresh on / and keep /home. Not that complicated during the install process...
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot update tumbleweed

I have a Tumbleweed system that has not been updated for several years. And it has not been booted for several years.

I would never attempt to update that. Yes, a fresh install (keeping "/home" which is a separate partition) is the way to go.

It is not just the change of rpm compression. A while back, the rpm database format was changed. And if you updated around the time of that change, it would have reformatted your database to the new format. But the window for that change has probably passed by now.

I do have a system that I only update every two weeks. And that has been working fine. But 2 years is a bit long.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Yes, I would like to try to revive the system before reinstalling. Can you tell me how to update rpm and zypper separately? Attempts to install packages from the cache have failed:
    /var/cache/zypp/packages/OSS/x86_64 # rpm -ivh rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64.rpm
    Verifying... ################################# [100%]
    Preparing... ################################# [100%]
    file /bin/rpm from install of rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.14.2.1-2.1.x86_64
    file /usr/bin/gendiff from install of rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.14.2.1-2.1.x86_64
    file /usr/share/man/man8/rpm.8.gz from install of rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.14.2.1-2.1.x86_64
    file /usr/share/man/man8/rpmbuild.8.gz from install of rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.14.2.1-2.1.x86_64
    file /usr/share/man/man8/rpmsign.8.gz from install of rpm-4.15.1-7.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpm-4.14.2.1-2.1.x86_64

/var/cache/zypp/packages/OSS/x86_64 # rpm -ivh zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.28)(64bit) is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64
    libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.26)(64bit) is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64
    libzypp >= 17.24.2 is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64
    libzypp.so.1722()(64bit) is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64
    libzypp.so.1722(ZYPP_plain)(64bit) is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64
    rpmlib(PayloadIsZstd) <= 5.4.18-1 is needed by zypper-1.14.38-1.1.x86_64

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Can you tell me how to update rpm and zypper separately?
    For my normal updating, I use:
    Code:
    zypper up libsolv-tools libzypp zypper rpm
    zypper dup
    So I update rpm and zypper before doing anything else. However, I am doubtful even that will work on a badly out-of-date Tumbleweed.

If I really wanted to update my old out-of-date Tumbleweed, here's what I would try:

(1) Boot from recent Tumbleweed, such as a current live media.
    (2) Mount the system to be updated:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdX /mnt
    That mounts just the root file system, and you have to fill in the details (what to use for "/dev/sdX")

And then
    Code:
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    Next, mount everything else that is needed
    Code:
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    exit
    that should mount everything else, including any "btrfs" subvolumes. The "exit" merely leave chroot mode.

Check whether everything seems to be properly mounted.

And then, try to update with:
    Code:
    zypper --root /mnt dup
    This uses the "zypper", "rpm" from the up-to-date system that you booted, in order to update the mounted system.

It can still go wrong, and is still not guaranteed for your very old Tumbleweed. But it has a better chance of succeeding than what you tried to do.

If you try this, let us know how it turned out.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;