Thread: Edit Grub to show Windows from a different HDD

Default Edit Grub to show Windows from a different HDD

Hello, I am trying to make this work but can't seem to get luck on it, I am running the latest Leap version of OpenSUSE KDE but I don't think this is something "version specific"
    My issue is... I have Windows installed in one disk, and Linux installed in another disk (NOT PARTITION), so to start one OS or another I need to specifically select from the BIOS prompt each time what Disk I want to boot the OS from.
    How can I add Windows installation to the Grub on OpenSUSE so I can solve this? It seems Suse only recognizes the OS installed in the same Disk as it is and not others...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Edit Grub to show Windows from a different HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Geriel View Post
    Hello, I am trying to make this work but can't seem to get luck on it, I am running the latest Leap version of OpenSUSE KDE but I don't think this is something "version specific"
    My issue is... I have Windows installed in one disk, and Linux installed in another disk (NOT PARTITION), so to start one OS or another I need to specifically select from the BIOS prompt each time what Disk I want to boot the OS from.
    How can I add Windows installation to the Grub on OpenSUSE so I can solve this? It seems Suse only recognizes the OS installed in the same Disk as it is and not others...
    Hi
    If you fire up YaST2 -> System -> Boot Loader, on the last tab is the box checked for 'probe foreign os', if not check that and save and try boot again....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geriel View Post
    ... but I don't think this is something "version specific"
    It is booting method specific.

If one of your two systems (Windows or openSUSE) is using traditional BIOS/MBR booting, but the other is using UEFI booting, then this is not going to work.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It is booting method specific.

If one of your two systems (Windows or openSUSE) is using traditional BIOS/MBR booting, but the other is using UEFI booting, then this is not going to work.
    Oh thanks, that would be the problem then because the option mentioned about Foreign OS is active.
    Well, I think I will need to get more coherence when installing different OS even on differente Disks.

Thanks for the answers!