Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have others chosen OpenSUSE among all the distros available

Post How have others chosen OpenSUSE among all the distros available

I have always been curious about this, so ... figured, why not ask the community at large? I would be super interested in hearing what made people here choose OpenSUSE over the multitude of others available. Would like to get as many perspectives as possible; personal, corporate, small business. I have chosen it for an older laptop I have; he's about six, now, and I think his Windows days are over. (I have both a desktop and my primary laptop running Windows 10). I will also have OpenSUSE as my chosen WSL distro on my desktop, as well. thoughts, comments, stories, sound off in the replies.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How have others chosen OpenSUSE among all the distros available

Every user is different. We all have our different tastes and preferences.

I originally used "slackware" back in 1995. I also experimented with Redhat, Mandrake and Ubuntu. That was a while back, so the distro landscape has changed since then.

Of the ones that I originally tried, I preferred Slackware for its flexibility during install.

Due to considerations at work, I found myself mainly using Solaris, though I occasionally booted into slackware.

Then -- around 2006, while nearing retirement -- I was ready to return to linux. I seem to recall picking up some "java desktop" CDs distributed by Sun, and those install SuSE. So I then went with SuSE 10.1. I think that was before openSUSE existed. I replaced the SuSE 10.1 with openSUSE 11.0 maybe 3 or so years later. And I've been an openSUSE user ever since.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

When I first picked up OpenSuSE, I was looking for an alternative to MSWindows. Not to replace, but to supplement the work I was doing.
    The distro I wanted had to have a low bar for setup and learning because I needed a practical solution to create things that worked, I wasn't doing it for chauvinistic reasons. If something ran best on Windows, I'd keep running it on Windows. If something ran best on Linux, I wanted a Linux that would run that app like a champ. YaST was an attractive tool that worked for me in the beginning because of my MSWindows background.

Secondary reason I chose OpenSuSE at the time was for components availability. The first projects I ran on Linux needed to work with a minimal amount of fuss... I had to be able to find whatever was necessary easily. And, some of the things I was working on might be called "leading edge" for various reasons... when an app is being written, no one wants the app to be "old" by the time it's released so you often have to be building on "next version" technologies.

Today is probably a bit different...
    We can take for granted that so many things "just work."
    Many common apps are now pre-packaged.
    There are some good GUI frontends for popular User apps.
    Some of the artwork is really nice, almost fine art.

I've found that from those early beginnings of OpenSUSE to today's openSUSE,
    our distro has somewhat surprisingly supported nearly everything I've wanted with one exception... Pentesting but that is because many of the most necessary tools were written decades ago for the Debian system, and can't easily be ported when a dependency exists only in deb.
    But for just about everything else both simple and complex(a few exceptions only because SUSE was a bit slow to address but are mostly up to date now), openSUSE really does do it all which is one thing very few other distros can claim.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Well I flirted with Red Hat some years ago and although I had to sue both OS/2 and Windows at work (that first one hints where I worked) I was never a fan of Windows. At home we had Amiga computers my last one being an A4000 and my youngest son had an A1200, I even had a Mac emulator on the A4000. So when I finally retired and the A4000 went I did have Windows for a very short while (well it came with the PC) I decided to go back to Linux and tried various distros and eventually ended with openSUSE now using Tumbleweed on the desktop and one laptop, my second laptop has Leap 15.2 as does my wife's laptop all running KDE and she never really noticed the change from Windows 7! I do like a rolling distro and so far TW has been good to me. I do have one small brick PC running Windows 7 for my weather station as one piece of s/w I use on that is Windows only, sadly been unable to get the author to change and I don't want a big PC to run a VM and Linux just for the weather s/w..

Stuart

I started with Caldera and when that went belly up I switched to SUSE because it also had KDE and used rpms which I was familiar with.

I can't remember what year I first install Linux. It was a home built Pentium 4 system, and I recall I had a floppy drive installed in it. I tried three different Linux flavours before I found one that would boot: Fedora. I stuck with Fedora until the aggravation of having to do a complete reinstall for every version upgrade led me to try openSUSE. I didn't like it and ended up using Ubuntu. I stuck with Ubuntu until a few years ago when it became boring. I began experimenting with rolling release distributions in a virtual machine and Tumbleweed was the only one that proved reliable, and I have used it ever since. The frequency of the updates can be challenging, but going a few days without an update is unnerving

Blog Entries

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s while living in North America I had some very limited Unix and VMS experience. Finally, in 1998 while living in Asia, I decided to try GNU/Linux and I started with Red Hat, installed on my old Compaq LTE-5200 laptop (which was at the time the only PC that I had). Then in year 2000 (after a move to Europe) I went for a few month period with no home computer (as my laptop that I had been using with Red Hat at the time, died). So when later in year 2000 I finally obtained a replacement PC (a desktop and then later a laptop) I of course installed GNU/Linux on them. Since I was then living in Germany, I thought why not try a GNU/Linux produced also in the same country that I was living, so I tried SuSE-Pro. It turned out to be a good choice, and I have remained with different variants of SuSE and openSUSE since.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Aug-2020 at 00:10.

I started 1983 with RS-DOS on a Color Computer. Soon after I could afford a P.C. and after abandoning Windows moved to Caldera>Red Hat>Slackware>D.S.B.>Debian>and so on. I have been using openSuse varieties since 9.1 while trying a number of others in case I wanted to change. Well occasionally I do run a separate box with MX-19 as my VPN does not support openSuse. But for me the support I get from this forum outweighs any short term benefits I might gain by using others distros.

Many thanks to all of you

I am still more of a new openSUSE user even though I tried and used it before but my background is Debian, more specifically Debian sid.
    I see openSUSE as a natural progression of using a real rolling release in the form of Tumbleweed.
    As a matter of fact I am using it right now because I decided to see if I can live with Suse for a month. I think three weeks are already over and it is still installed and running perfectly on my laptop.

What attracted me to openSUSE in general and again is that it feels like a professional system for various use cases just like Debian. It offers enterprise grade stability and a tested rolling release with snapshots. It has all major desktop environments, window managers and all the software I need.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    But for me the support I get from this forum outweighs any short term benefits I might gain by using others distros.
    I think I will second that.

I like the community here on the Forum, and I have been fortunate to later meet in person a number of the people I first met on the forum ... all good people.

There have been many times when I have had issues, where I had excellent forum suggestions/solutions provided to sort my issues ... and in other cases RPMs of packages not yet packaged for openSUSE, made by packagers when I failed in my efforts to build/compile. I've written bug reports and had excellent support in solving my problem from the Nuremburg SuSE/openSUSE packagers. Some years back I also contributed to the mailing lists and the IRC chat, and both received and provided support there.

I have found the longer one stays with one GNU/Linux distribution, one gets to know its ins and its outs, and its workarounds where needed. The longer one uses a given distro, the easier it is to use that distro, and the better one's GNU/Linux works. I am definitely not a believer in distro hopping, for a distro hopper never really gets to know a distro well that way - instead IMHO one by distro hopping only has a superficial assessment which can be far off the mark at times, being stuck on some point where those who use the distro know the easy to apply (but illusive to find) work around.

I would find the openSUE community very difficult to leave. Couple that with a nicely packaged GNU/Linux and as long as openSUSE is available, I can not see myself changing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast