Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Stopped Working

Default Re: Sound Stopped Working

So I reset the stage, since this has been declared a theatrical operation..... I was finally able to get back to this problem.

I have installed LEAP 15.1 from a DVD and did not allow Internet connections so that it could not updated repositories. This was done this way because the original install had the sound working, but some maint that was put on (with a bunch of security patches) caused me to not have sound. Sound was not working.

At this point, I pulled up a web page that contains a class I need to take. I now have sound, and can hear the instructor. I pulled up an mp3 file and VLC played it just fine, sound was OK.

Then I went to TuneIn and picked Radio Arabella (Muenchen) and it plays just fine, I can hear it.

What diagnostics would you like, before I put on any maint? Because, as i said, maint (security stuff) was put on and sound stopped working.

Also, I did not have to go through the installation stuff that was recommended because the install of LEAP 15.1 has all the needed items for sound to just work right from boot up after the install.

Why did I just do a re-install? Well one of the zypper commands resulted in me having a broken repository. So rather than trying to fix this and the other items I've hit, it was better for me to start over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur View Post
    What diagnostics would you like, before I put on any maint? Because, as i said, maint (security stuff) was put on and sound stopped working.
    Glad to read sound is working for you again.

I think I good idea, with sound working, is to run the diagnostic script I noted above. It creates a good record of your alsa and some other aspects of our PC's configuration ... which we can use as a functioning baseline to compare against any future changes.

This thread has already posted above how to do this ... which was run this diagnostic script in an xterm or konsole as a regular user, with your PC connected to the Internet:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    select UPLOAD/SHARE when prompted. Let the script run to completion. Post here the URL that is provided at the end, when the script completes. That will then have a baseline of your audio configuration stored (when audio working) for future comparison.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 21-Sep-2020 at 07:56.

Ran the script. Accepted the update, and the update failed to execute (probably because I did not run it as root so it couldn't create the output "folder").

Meanwhile, here is the URL it listed: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=8c536d...133bdcafae7369

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, here is the URL it listed: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=8c536d...133bdcafae7369
    OK, thanks. I note this is your baseline, and that sound works with that configuration.

I want to caution you about something in that configuration to be careful about ... Note this in the aplay:
    Code:
    !!Aplay/Arecord output
    !!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
    card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
    Most users have their sound connected to an analog output. In your case the analog output is "card 1", "device 0" (also referred to as hw:1,0).

By default, GNU/Linux and hence openSUSE sends sound to card-0, and not card-1. Hence nominally your sound will be sent to an HDMI device.

What many users do in such a case, is run the application 'pavucontrol' (pulseaudio volume control) to tune the sound with pulse audio. Pulse audio provides the capability to direct audio from an application to any given output device on a per application basis. ie its entirely possible to have one application send sound to card-0 and have another application send sound to card-1. Obviously if no speaker is associated with card-0, then there will be no sound from that application. Hence it is important in such a case to use 'pavucontrol' to tune one's audio appropriately.

My apologies if you know this already and I am wasting your time in reading this, but sometimes users are not aware of this - and if not aware, its entirely possible after an update, that you could run into this problem, where audio is sent from your application of choice, to a sound device that has no speaker connected - in which case launching 'pavucontrol' should give you the capability to appropriately redirect the sound output.

One other note on your configuration:
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
      Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 64
      Mono:
      Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-64.00dB] [off]
      Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-64.00dB] [off]
    I note you have your headphones disabled, and I assume that is your intent?
    Last edited by oldcpu; 22-Sep-2020 at 08:00.

Blog Entries

Ran the script. Accepted the update, and the update failed to execute (probably because I did not run it as root so it couldn't create the output "folder").
    That is correct. If you wish to update the script, you can run it with root permissions.

However if you wish to give the correct user configuration for sound, then it is important it be run as a regular user.

Exclamation Re: Sound Stopped Working

Running SUSE LEAP 15.1 KDE and sound stopped working after some update. :(

So I dropped in the LEAP 15.1 KDE LIVE DVD and booted from it and tested the sound and it works. :)

I did an update install and that took me to 15.2 and I have the same problem, no sound. :(
    Hmmm …
    • What I've found is, that the following points need to be addressed:

1. In the Pulse Audio FAQ, the point about user membership in the “audio” group «type “groups” from a user CLI to check» – <https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...FAQ/#index26h3>.
    2. In the openSUSE “Pulseaudio” SDB “Hints and tips” section, “PulseAudio Daemon Fails to Start after Reinstallation” – <https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Pulseaudio>:

• The content of ~/.config/pulse/ …

The most frequently used repair I use, is to logout, login via a VT (tty1..6) and remove the contents of ~/.config/pulse/ and then, login via the KDE Plasma GUI again …

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12