Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Stopped Working

Default Sound Stopped Working

Running SUSE LEAP 15.1 KDE and sound stopped working after some update.

So I dropped in the LEAP 15.1 KDE LIVE DVD and booted from it and tested the sound and it works.

I did an update install and that took me to 15.2 and I have the same problem, no sound.

The driver is: snd_hda_intel (YaST2 Hardware info).

Hardware shows: Family 17h (models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller AND
    GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller.

I've noticed that others are having similar issues.

Something I need to know about repositories? I got the impression there maybe some issue there.
    Last edited by wylbur; 26-Aug-2020 at 18:44. Reason: Fixed spelling

Default Re: Sound Stopped Working

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur View Post
    Running SUSE LEAP 15.1 KDE and sound stopped working after some update.

So I dropped in the LEAP 15.1 KDE LIVE DVD and booted from it and tested the sound and it works.

I did an update install and that took me to 15.2 and I have the same problem, no sound.

The driver is: snd_hda_intel (YaST2 Hardware info).

Hardware shows: Family 17h (models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller AND
    GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller.

I've noticed that others are having similar issues.

Something I need to know about repositories? I got the impression there maybe some issue there.
    Did you try to reinstall the sound driver? You may also want to reinstall the Pulse sound system. Maybe the update corrupted some of the driver files or deleted one in error.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tanker_bob View Post
    Did you try to reinstall the sound driver? You may also want to reinstall the Pulse sound system. Maybe the update corrupted some of the driver files or deleted one in error.
    That is unlikely to resolve the issue.

Instead, I would advise the OP to read our Audio_troubleshooting guide. More defintivie information is required in order for anyone to help you. Running the 'alsa-info.sh' diagnostic script will help collect this information, and it can upload that report to an online server. Share the link that it provides here so that others can review it and advise further.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

You can try to see if your sound server, in this case pulseaudio, is running:

Code:
    ps -C pulseaudio
    If not then restart the service:

Code:
     systemctl --user restart pulseaudio.service
    openSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinylninja View Post
    You can try to see if your sound server, in this case pulseaudio, is running:

Code:
    ps -C pulseaudio
    If not then restart the service:

Code:
     systemctl --user restart pulseaudio.service
    Yes, and if that doesn't do the trick, then removing the existing user-config...
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.config/pulse/
    and restarting pulseaudio may be helpful.

Blog Entries

Further to the excellent advice above - when you say 'sound doesn't work' - could you tell us what your criteria is for stating such? Sometimes that can point to the problem.

Also, be certain your mixer is properly configured (alsamixer is a very basic yet powerful app for that), and also (via application pavucontrol (pulse audio volume control)) ensure you have pulse audio properly configured for the application and for the audio device you are attempting to use. Note that pulse audio provides the capability to tune audio on a per device and per application basis. So a common mistake for users is to have pulse audio misconfigured such that it has applications directing their audio output to a device not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Further to the excellent advice above - when you say 'sound doesn't work' - could you tell us what your criteria is for stating such? Sometimes that can point to the problem.
    Was working, meaning that I could get audio out of Youtube, or other sites that have audio. Or an MP4 that was sent to me. Not working means I can get no audio at all. And by going into Yast, I can't even configure it it.

Using a SUSE LEAP 15.1 Live KDE CD/DVD I had audio working: As in, I had sound and could adjust volume, etc. Not working means that I could not get any sound to play.

Is this really that difficult of a concept given my explanation of what happened, what I did to correct it, and what I did to test?

------
    To address another poster -- I tried zypper, and things failed -- some problem with a repository -- bad signature?

So I'm not really impressed with the do all/be all fix when the very first time I use it, the system is borked. ;-) And now I have to go clean up Yast and the repository problems

------

I do appreciate the help, but when you read what I posted, and the upgrade install failed to solve the problem, and the problem started after some security patch (multiple put on, no idea which one caused), this was not a problem with a first time install system. And it is not a problem of the user's making when the upgrade also fails to solve the issue.

Meanwhile, I will get back to this, I am currently dealing with deadlines for a presentations I have to do over the next 3 week.

BTW -- My day job is z/OS and z/VM (Mainframes running Linux guests). I am not a Linux admin. I just take care of the environments under which the Linux for z runs.

Regards,
    Wylbur

Blog Entries

Seeing as you haven't supplied any requested definitive information at all, and with only a vague "no sound" description, no fellow openSUSE user (we're all volunteers) could do anything other than speculate here anyway.

Blog Entries

Assuming your sound is still not working, maybe on the GNU/Linux PC running the openSUSE OS when sound is not working, could you run a diagnostic script, that will provide us more information as to your PC's sound configuration?

ie open up an xterm/konsole, with PC connected to the internet, and as a regular user type the following command:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    select UPLOAD/SHARE when prompted. Let the script run to completion. When its complete in the xterm / konsole you should see something like:
    Code:
    Your ALSA information is located at http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=somenumber
    Please inform the person helping you.
    Post here the http link ... ie : http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=somenumber

That will hopefully provide us some information in which we can then use to give you a suggestion to address the sound stopped working problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Assuming your sound is still not working, maybe on the GNU/Linux PC running the openSUSE OS when sound is not working, could you run a diagnostic script, that will provide us more information as to your PC's sound configuration?
    That was already suggested back in post #3. The OP has chosen the 'theatrical' approach which does not encourage those that could help to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast