Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message during boot: Verification requested but nobody cares

Exclamation Message during boot: Verification requested but nobody cares

I can't boot with this error coming up right below the first line "Loading Linux 5.8.0-1-default ..."

"error: verification requested but nobody cares:
    (hd2,gpt3)/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi/linux.mod.
    Loading initial ramdisk ...
    error: verification requested but nobody cares:
    (hd2,gpt3)/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi/linux.mod.

Press any key to continue..."

In addition, I tried to boot from live USB but today it's not recognized by my machine even though it worked before.

I can boot live DVD, I have a couple working ones from five years ago, and they are able to see and mount my internal drives, including the root partition, so if I need to manually switch or disable something it should be possible. They also do not recognize USB drives when inserted and dmesg complained about hub errors, inability to assign address or something like that - I need to boot into live DVD again to see exact errors, there were a lot of lines there. USB keyboard and USB mouse receiver work, however.

So, is my "verification requested" boot failure caused by possible hardware problem with USB hub or is it latest tumbleweed update got screwed up or something? By USB hub I mean something inside, not anything I plug externally.

It's my primary machine so it's like my life depends on it working.

Edit: I should have put thread title in quotes - now it looks like nobody cares about my requests but it's just an error message. It seems I can't edit the title, sorry.

Default Re: Message during boot: Verification requested but nobody cares

Additional info - turns out that it's only USB3 ports don't work on my machine, a few old USB2 ports are okay and plugging into one of them I was able to boot from live Ubuntu stick, which means I can create a live OpenSuse stick, too, or live DVD, for that matter.
    Last edited by hcvv; 26-Aug-2020 at 01:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Ice View Post
    Additional info - turns out that it's only USB3 ports don't work on my machine, a few old USB2 ports are okay and plugging into one of them I was able to boot from live Ubuntu stick, which means I can create a live OpenSuse stick, too, or live DVD, for that matter.
    Changed it.
    Last edited by hcvv; 26-Aug-2020 at 01:21.
    Henk van Velden

Do you have secureboot enabled in your UEFI?

Will you be able to boot your openSUSE system when you disable secureboot in your UEFI?

May be your problem is related to https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019673.

If you can boot the openSUSE Tumbleweed rescue system from the installation media you could try to chroot into your installed system and update GRUB2.

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Do you have secureboot enabled in your UEFI?

Will you be able to boot your openSUSE system when you disable secureboot in your UEFI?

May be your problem is related to https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019673.

If you can boot the openSUSE Tumbleweed rescue system from the installation media you could try to chroot into your installed system and update GRUB2.

Regards

susejunky
    Secureboot is disabled in my BIOS.

Occasionally there's a weird screen that shows up before booting and says something about performing shim management but I can't see it today. It always goes away on its own and I have no idea how to call it up.

Right now I'm in openSUSE tumbleweed rescue booted from USB drive. How can I chroot and upgrade Grub2 from here?

... Right now I'm in openSUSE tumbleweed rescue booted from USB drive. How can I chroot and upgrade Grub2 from here?
    All the following is based on the assumptions that

• you are using the rescue system from the openSUSE Tumbleweed installation media and are logged in as "root" (no password needed)
    • your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system uses ext4 as root filesystem
    • you have a working network connection (cable connection should be setup automatically, for WLAN connections you can use nmtui or nmcli)

Mount the root partition of your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system with
    Code:
    # mount /dev/xxxx /mnt
    The "xxxx" depends on your system. It might be something like "sda1" or "nvme0n1p1".

Mount your ESP with
    Code:
    # mount /dev/yyyy /mnt/boot/efi
    Again "yyyy" depends on your system. Be careful if you use several ESPs (e.g. for MS Windows and Linux) to choose the correct one.
    Code:
    # parted -l
    or
    Code:
    # lsblk -f
    can help you to find the correct values for "xxxx" and "yyyy".
    Then do
    Code:
    # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sys
    # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/run
    # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/proc
    # chroot /mnt
    Then update your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system
    Code:
    # zypper dup
    This will probably install the latest GRUB2 automatically. However if you want to be really sure you can re-install GRUB2 with
    Code:
    # grub2-install
    Then update the GRUB2 configuration file
    Code:
    # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Check your UEFI NVRAM with
    Code:
    # efibootmgr -v
    You can adjust the boot order with
    Code:
    # efibootmgr -o nnnn,mmmm
    where nnnn and mmmm are the Bootnnnn displayed by efibootmgr. Then exit the chroot environment
    Code:
    # exit
    and reboot your system ...

... and if you are lucky your system will start up as normal. If not, please report any errors here.

Regards

susejunky

I used chroot instructions here: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000018770

Didn't get any errors and I see all my files from "root" mounted in /mnt but the last command, "mount -a", does not show any results. Nevertheless, "ls /home/linux" (home on live USB) gives "no such file or directory" in the terminal window I used to chroot. Altogether I think chroot was successful and I'll keep that window open just in case.

What's next?

Just saw the post above, will read through.

I didn't do mounting "ESP". I don't know what it means but I guess it's a small, 150mb partition that is reported as "vfat" or "boot" or "esp", depending on what program is used.

Just in case, I installed grub2 etc and let's see what happens after reboot. If it doesn't work I'll do chroot again. It's not persistent, is it?

... "mount -a", does not show any results.
    This will just mount all filesystems given in fstab (of your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system).

So if /home (of your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system) resides on a separate partition you should - after mount -a completed - be able to do
    Code:
    ls /home/USER
    where USER must be a valid user name of your installed openSUSE Tumbleweed system.

Regards

susejunky

I didn't do mounting "ESP". I don't know what it means but I guess it's a small, 150mb partition that is reported as "vfat" or "boot" or "esp", depending on what program is used.
    ESP means EFI system partition and should be formatted in FAT32 (150MB sounds reasonable) and it is the place where the bootloader files have to go.

So if you did not mount it grub2-install will not work correctly.

Regards

susejunky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast