Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer opinions

Default Printer opinions

I love my HP Officejet 6700. But it quit on me. Apparently, I need a new printhead. I keep hearing that it's too expensive to repair to be worthwhile. I should just buy a new one. Looking around, there are several HP Envy models that look ok. I print and scan, So, I don't use the fax feature, rarely use the double-sided feature and never use the wide format available. What also annoys me is that I have about $100 worth of ink that I won't be able to use. I don't think print speed is important for my need but good print quality is important.

What are you thoughts on printers?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

Default Re: Printer opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I love my HP Officejet 6700. But it quit on me. Apparently, I need a new printhead. I keep hearing that it's too expensive to repair to be worthwhile. I should just buy a new one. Looking around, there are several HP Envy models that look ok. I print and scan, So, I don't use the fax feature, rarely use the double-sided feature and never use the wide format available. What also annoys me is that I have about $100 worth of ink that I won't be able to use. I don't think print speed is important for my need but good print quality is important.

What are you thoughts on printers?
    Hi
    I switched to a cheap HP LaserJet years ago (P1102w) network/wireless/usb and small Sure replacement cartridges are more expensive, but it can sit for months without use and when it's needed it prints! I'm on my third laser cartridge..
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Mono laser printer and scanner devices are the way to go. HP and Brother both offer good choices.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

In the future I will switch to a laser printer because I am fed up with replacing ink like crazy.

I need printers for work and I had a similar problem, an older HP died on us and we just switched to the next and more recent HP model, an OfficeJet Pro 8022 All-in-One. By now there will be already newer models out there. Though we do not use HP Instant Ink.

In general I never had a love affair with any of the printers but use HP because of its Linux compatibility and so far it produces the results I need.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce

I'm using an Brother MFC-J497dw on Leap 15.2 an it is working like a charm and the replacement inks are cheap and fully available on ebay, you can use the new native "driverless" drivers or download drivers for linux on brothers support website, I tested both and they both works, but if you want to use the scanner you'll need the brother drivers, hope this helps!
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8GHZ
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H

Thanks for the recommendations.

I looked at lasers but I still want to print some color now and then. I prefer charts in color. At home, you print "fun" things for family members, so color is important.

I never thought I would be interested in that "HP Instant Ink" program but, with low printing requirements, I can see an annual ink cost around $36. That's the price on one ink cartridge. vinylninja is not into that program. What do others think?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    vinylninja is not into that program. What do others think?
    Actually I wanted to say not yet. We are still thinking about it but I have always problems mentally with contracts and such. On paper it sounds great but I have also privacy concerns but maybe they have no ground. I am still not sure. Though you are right, I guess it would save us some money. For us the Instant Ink thing is new because that was not an option on the older model.

It is true that we mostly print text but we also need color very often and I know that good laser printers exist nowadays.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce

Hi!

Like those already have answer, HP and Brother have been working fine for me on openSUSE. Nowadays I rarely print in color. For the moment I using monochrome laser, Brother DCP-7065DN (networked double sided printer) as my daily printer/scanner. HP Laser is a bit easier to set up but Brother works as well and there is a number of post on the forum to set Brother with OpenSUSE(Linux).

Greetings
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

My personal printer selection criteria...

Likely more expensive models.Usually made better, but almost always cheap/cheapest does't actually save money because printer supplies often are much more expensive... It's just a different business model to make your money up front or later over time.

Built in network connectivity vs attached to workstation.
    There is just no comparison and a benefit to simplify access for numerous clients in your network, even if it's only a couple machines.

Common, standard network protocols.

Beyond the above and of subjective importance,
    B/W vs color
    Inkjet vs laser print

Besides the above, the usual...
    Read customer reviews before any prospective purchase.
    If I violate the above (often), there has to be a good reason.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

When I moved to Thailand, I purchased a new printer, an HP 2675 Deskjet Ink Advantage All-in-one printer. (as I did not ship my rather massive in size, ancient, very old all-in-one HP printer).

My requirements were similar to yours, and this time I wanted an HP printer where the ink was not too expensive.

I found the HP Deskjet 2600 series did what I wished, it was inexpensive, and further its ink cartridges (HP680s) are IMHO less expensive than the regular HP ink cartridges.

I blogged about it here.

Having typed the above, there are MANY good printers out there - where the plethora of good choices is what can make it so difficult to find a printer.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 29-Aug-2020 at 21:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast