Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows missing from GRUB boot menu

Default Windows missing from GRUB boot menu

All,

I have OpenSuSe 15.2 installed in a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 on a Gigabyte Aero laptop. GRUB used to display both Suse and Windows as boot options. A few days ago after an Open Suse update I noticed that Windows had disappeared from the boot menu. This happened once before, and I was able to fix it by returning to an earlier snapshot and running the update again. Unfortunately this time something has corrupted Snapper, and I only have snapshots after the update in question. I am not an expert, but here is what I know:

1) This laptop uses UEFI.
    2) Both Windows and SuSe are using secure boot.
    3) Windows is still present and can be booted through the “BBS” menu. (F12 during POST)

When I repaired this last time I was directed to a menu during boot where I was able reset the Windows credentials. I cannot seem to find that menu now. Thanks in advance for all the help.

The Kapt

Default Re: Windows missing from GRUB boot menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaptdeath View Post
    All,

I have OpenSuSe 15.2 installed in a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 on a Gigabyte Aero laptop. GRUB used to display both Suse and Windows as boot options. A few days ago after an Open Suse update I noticed that Windows had disappeared from the boot menu. This happened once before, and I was able to fix it by returning to an earlier snapshot and running the update again. Unfortunately this time something has corrupted Snapper, and I only have snapshots after the update in question. I am not an expert, but here is what I know:

1) This laptop uses UEFI.
    2) Both Windows and SuSe are using secure boot.
    3) Windows is still present and can be booted through the “BBS” menu. (F12 during POST)

When I repaired this last time I was directed to a menu during boot where I was able reset the Windows credentials. I cannot seem to find that menu now. Thanks in advance for all the help.

The Kapt
    If you can still boot from OpenSUSE, can you run the command
    Code:
    os-prober
    as the super user and see what it says?

Thanks for the quick reply, Here is he result of os-prober as "su".

Code:
    /home/mevans : os-prober
    /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
    /home/mevans :
    It found windows. Just curious, why does os-prober not find the OS you are running?

Thanks for the help.
    The Kapt
    Last edited by kaptdeath; 23-Aug-2020 at 08:33. Reason: Forgot /CODE tags

Blog Entries

Try running (as root):
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    and see if that adds the entry back.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

... Here is he result of os-prober as "su".

Code:
    /home/mevans : os-prober
    /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
    /home/mevans :
    Did you try (as "root")
    Code:
    # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    to generate an up-to-date GRUB2 configuration file?

I'm not sure where that file resides in a btrfs file system so you might have to adjust the destination in the command given above.

Regards

susejunky

Sorry! I was too late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    I'm not sure where that file resides in a btrfs file system so you might have to adjust the destination in the command given above.
    It should still be in the same place.

All,

Thanks for the quick and accurate reply, and sorry about the slow response. "grub2-mkconfig" worked perfectly. Thank you.

I was delayed in responding by a large Windows 10 update which stomped all over my MBR causing it to always boot directly to windows. (I kinda expect Windows to do that occasionally.) Windows also changed the signature database so the the SuSe 15.2 image would no longer boot. I was able to "recorrect" the problem by booting a rescue Linux system from a thumb drive and issuing the command again. (I also had to reset the secure boot signatures in the BIOS.)

Thanks again for the help.

The Kapt
    Last edited by kaptdeath; 25-Aug-2020 at 05:12. Reason: Didn't notice other posters at first.

Windows also changed the signature database so the the SuSe 15.2 image would no longer boot.
    That's interesting. As mitigation for CVE-2020-10713 it was indeed planned to blacklist older keys. Quoting https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019673:
    Microsoft publishes a global revocation list that excludes all older "shim" versions from SUSE and other vendors
    Could you post output from
    Code:
    mokutil --list-enrolled
    mokutil --list-enrolled -X

Certainly

I tried the command both as myself and "su". I go the same result:

/home/mevans : mokutil --list-enrolled
    MokListRT is empty
    /home/mevans : mokutil --list-enrolled -X
    MokListXRT is empty

I have the feeling that I am no longer using secure boot. I will have a look in the BIOS.

I have been using multi boot systems for years. Trusted hardware and UEFI have added some new wrinkles.

The Kapt

Blog Entries

The command
    Code:
    bootctl
    should tell you whether you are using secure-boot.

I'm not even sure whether "MokListRT is empty" possible when you use "shim.efi" for booting. I think you have to be using "grubx64.efi" to be able to get an empty list. Or perhaps you get an empty list if you don't agree to using the shim certificate on the first use of shim. (I should experiment with that).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast