Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiversion/multidistro management

Default Re: Multiversion/multidistro management

Okay,

It turned out to be easier than I expected at least on this laptop.

I was able to create new entries for each individual versions by setting the
    Code:
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR
    for their respective versions. Installed grub by
    Code:
    grub2-install
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    I was then able to list efi entries using
    Code:
    efibootmgr
    and select some of the duplicates I made by accident using
    Code:
    efibootmgr -b nnnn -B
    where nnnn is identifier number for boot entry.
    Thankfullythe efibootmgr communicates with my BIOS/UEFI quite well and all of the entries can also be managed with GUI on demand.

I have also kept the default "opensuse-secureboot" entry, linked it to my tumbleweed installation and set it to my default boot.

I guess now I'm ready to jettison LEAP 15.1 on demand.

Thanks susejunky. I learned quite a lot from this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    ... I have also kept the default "opensuse-secureboot" entry, linked it to my tumbleweed installation and set it to my default boot.
    That is what i do as well.

... I guess now I'm ready to jettison LEAP 15.1 on demand.

Thanks susejunky. I learned quite a lot from this experience.
    You are always welcome.

Have a lot of fun with all your openSUSE systems!

Regards

susejunky

Small problem....
    While trying to re-organize everything something has gone wrong.

Following a grub2-install, all of the OpenSUSE EFI entries got wiped and I'm trying to reinstall them without success from rescue media.

I am not quite sure what happened but I was finally able to boot using a rescue media and boot from TW and use the YAST boot loader. Everything is back on track...

Small problem....
    While trying to re-organize everything something has gone wrong.

Following a grub2-install, all of the OpenSUSE EFI entries got wiped and I'm trying to reinstall them without success from rescue media.
    I have to admit: such things do occasionally happen to me as well. I can't get rid of the feeling that some UEFI-implementations do not always behave correctly.

Up to now i could solve all these problems by booting the "Rescue system" from the openSUSE installation media, chroot into one of the installed systems and then use the tools available.

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    I have to admit: such things do occasionally happen to me as well. I can't get rid of the feeling that some UEFI-implementations do not always behave correctly.

Up to now i could solve all these problems by booting the "Rescue system" from the openSUSE installation media, chroot into one of the installed systems and then use the tools available.

Regards

susejunky
    That's what I tried first but weirdly didn't work. I tried to re-install grub2 after mounting, binding and chrooting. I think it had something to do with secure-boot because when I finally realized that I can still boot from installed partitions using "boot from hard drive" option from LEAP 15.2 installation flash drive, I booted and using Yast Boot-loader fixed the problem.

Now I have 3 entries in EFI called "opensuse_***-secureboot" and everything is back to normal... for now. Can someone explain exactly what Yast-bootloader does in terms of commands when I open and close it? This might give us a clue what may be happening and how to prevent it.

Blog Entries

That's what I tried first but weirdly didn't work. I tried to re-install grub2 after mounting, binding and chrooting. I think it had something to do with secure-boot because when I finally realized that I can still boot from installed partitions using "boot from hard drive" option from LEAP 15.2 installation flash drive, I booted and using Yast Boot-loader fixed the problem.

Now I have 3 entries in EFI called "opensuse_***-secureboot" and everything is back to normal... for now. Can someone explain exactly what Yast-bootloader does in terms of commands when I open and close it? This might give us a clue what may be happening and how to prevent it.
    Hi
    If you have probe foreign os checked it will check and rebuild grub/add entries (os-prober), since you have multiple ESP's I would just pick one system to be the main grub and have os-prober on, the rest turn off.

Again there is only one NVRAM, so yes it will have multiple entries, but it you use the -v option you will see it pointing at different disk partitions. This is normal.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 22-Aug-2020 at 14:21.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Just a general comment about my experience.

I currently have Tumbleweed, Leap 15.1 and Leap 15.2 installed. When Leap 15.3 comes out, that will replace 15.1.

At one time, I used "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR". But I eventually gave up on that. Instead, I create a subdirectory for each.

In "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse", I have subdirectories "15_1", "15_2" and "tw". I keep a copy of the installed boot files there. So I can change which controls the booting by copying from the subdirectory to the "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse".

Yes, I do need to update those subdirectories after an update to grub2.

I make sure that each system can boot the other systems. I do that with entries in "/etc/grub.d/40_custom".
    Here's an entry to boot Tumbleweed, when 15.2 controls the booting
    Code:
    ### Entry to boot openSUSE Tumbleweed on sdb2
    menuentry "configfile for openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/sdb2"  {
            set bootdir='hd2,gpt2'
            search --label --set=bootdir boot1
            ### search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir b76c6bf4-772c-4419-8398-c5de5a538235
            configfile (${bootdir})/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    }
    I'm currently using labels, but the code for using UUID is there and commented out. The advantage of LABEL is that when the partition is reformatted, Yast tends to preserve the label but it does not preserve the UUID. (When I last experimented with Mageia, it preserved the UUID).

The effect of this: with 15.2 controlling the boot, there is a boot entry "configfile for openSUSE Tumbleweed". I can select that. Then I get the Tumbleweed boot menu, and I boot from there. I do it this way, because if a Tumbleweed update brings a new kernel, then that secondary menu will have been updated for the new kernel.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If you have probe foreign os checked it will check and rebuild grub/add entries (os-prober), since you have multiple ESP's I would just pick one system to be the main grub and have os-prober on, the rest turn off.

Again there is only one NVRAM, so yes it will have multiple entries, but it you use the -v option you will see it pointing at different disk partitions. This is normal.
    That's what I had before but susejunky pointed out a danger when it comes to deleting my LEAP 15.1 installation. Since the /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse woud look for boot entries in /dev/nvme0n1p*/boot/grub2/grub.cfg, I decided to have 1 efi entry per version.

I am only going to use opensuse_tw-secureboot and tuck away opensuse_15.* away with os-prober on.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just a general comment about my experience.

I currently have Tumbleweed, Leap 15.1 and Leap 15.2 installed. When Leap 15.3 comes out, that will replace 15.1.

At one time, I used "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR". But I eventually gave up on that. Instead, I create a subdirectory for each.

In "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse", I have subdirectories "15_1", "15_2" and "tw". I keep a copy of the installed boot files there. So I can change which controls the booting by copying from the subdirectory to the "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse".

Yes, I do need to update those subdirectories after an update to grub2.

I make sure that each system can boot the other systems. I do that with entries in "/etc/grub.d/40_custom".
    Here's an entry to boot Tumbleweed, when 15.2 controls the booting
    Code:
    ### Entry to boot openSUSE Tumbleweed on sdb2
    menuentry "configfile for openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/sdb2"  {
            set bootdir='hd2,gpt2'
            search --label --set=bootdir boot1
            ### search --fs-uuid --set=bootdir b76c6bf4-772c-4419-8398-c5de5a538235
            configfile (${bootdir})/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    }
    I'm currently using labels, but the code for using UUID is there and commented out. The advantage of LABEL is that when the partition is reformatted, Yast tends to preserve the label but it does not preserve the UUID. (When I last experimented with Mageia, it preserved the UUID).

The effect of this: with 15.2 controlling the boot, there is a boot entry "configfile for openSUSE Tumbleweed". I can select that. Then I get the Tumbleweed boot menu, and I boot from there. I do it this way, because if a Tumbleweed update brings a new kernel, then that secondary menu will have been updated for the new kernel.
    Okay, I am guessing you have the os-prober off. I did run into trouble when I tried using grub-editor and ended up with a grub with 10 entries, many of them duplicates. I think I will try your option as soon as I run into a problem using GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR.

What was the problem you faced with GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast