Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mounting USB from emergency shell

Default mounting USB from emergency shell

Latest TW kernel upgrade apparently built a bad initrd, so I landed in a rescue shell trying to recover /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt. But, something's missing in trying to mount a perfectly mountable and common VFAT on sdX1 stick found by blkid, which from mounting on a normally running system I know has plenty freespace. Whether with no options, -t auto or -t vfat, mount attempts always return:
    Code:
    mount: /mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock, etc......
    I don't see anything helpful in busybox help, and my googlefu for forums.opensuse.org must be broken, as I'm not finding anything resembling a howto or post marked solved for this scenario. Anyone here have some experience how to mount a VFAT stick from a rescue shell, or have an URL to share for a howto? I found using an EXT2 formatted stick works, so maybe I need to make one? Is there a module loadable from the shell that will allow vfat recognition? Does /etc/dracut.conf need an addition to include more than the normal default and enable VFAT from rescue shell?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1,TW,15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Default Re: mounting USB from emergency shell

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I don't see anything helpful in busybox help
    The first thing to check when mount fails is dmesg output, not busybox help.

It is possible your rescue system has no software to support the VFAT file system type.

The error is normal when one tries to mount a file system that is not recognised (which you already tried to avoid by explicit adding -t vfat), or corrupted, or no file ssytem at all. When believing your explanation that it is mounted without problems on other Linux systems, I come to my suggestion above.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    The first thing to check when mount fails is dmesg output...
    I'm can't tell what it reports that might be or have been useful WRT the VFAT stick not mounting, or why the filesystems on NVME were not found. Are "SUBNQN field" and/or "Identify Descriptors failed" indicative of fatal errors?
    https://paste.opensuse.org/34327932
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Code:
    [  237.118347] FAT-fs (sda1): codepage cp437 not found
    FAT driver requires NLS support for codepage that defaults to 437. There is no way to skip it. All NLS support is built as modules and initrd does not have them.

Default initrd includes fat/vvfat on EFI but not on legacy BIOS. If you added vfat manually you need to also add nls_cp437 (and likely nls_iso8859-1) kernel modules. If fat/vfat was added automatically you should open bug report against dracut which must add NLS modules matching CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE (and probably CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET) if fat/vfat are added.

I am not sure what is used as a rescue systyem, but when I would create a rescue system (a system that should run minimal things on a broad spectrum of hardware to be able to "rescue" a broken Linux system), then I would not bother myself by adding all sorts of esoterics like support for MS Windows features.

So what I ask myself (and there is no need to answer that, I am only an old grumbler) is why does one need a non-Linux file system during Linux system recovery?
    Last edited by hcvv; 14-Aug-2020 at 05:03.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    why does one need a non-Linux file system during Linux system recovery?
    Because this is what your off the shelf USB stick usually offers. Oh, and - surprise - that is the only file system supported on ESP ...

Because this is what your off the shelf USB stick usually offers.
    Yes, and when I buy a desktop/laptop, there is Windows on it. But I of course will replcae that with openSUSE. And when I use Linux on my desktop/laptops, I will put a Linux file system (or more then one) on the mass-storage devices I use with it.

The only case that asks for a non-Linux file system is for direct exchange of data between Linux and non-Linux (with a multi-bootWindows on the same system or on removable mass-storage exporting/importing between the two system types. Never for native usage.

Oh, and - surprise - that is the only file system supported on ESP ...
    Sorry, that is beyond my knowledge. What is ESP and what has it to do with the choice of file system type in this case.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    What is ESP and what has it to do with the choice of file system type in this case.
    You haven't experienced a UEFI computer natively yet?Without an ESP, no UEFI OS installation can be bootstrapped.

Oh yes, I now understand (UEFI/EFI is the term understood by me). I assume you mention that for completeness (of reasons to use non-Linux file system types on Linux) . Not as being a reason for the OP to use a non-Linux file system to copy something from in an emergency.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast