Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromium Prints Garbage on New Printer

Default Chromium Prints Garbage on New Printer

Hello,

Recently, I switched from an HP to an Epson printer, as the former had died. Everything used to work fine with the HP printer and always did from the first attempt.

When I installed the Espon drivers initially, the printer would not output anything. So, I uninstalled the Epson drivers and the HP ones and reinstalled the Epson ones
    again. The 'Print Single Page Test' worked when configuring the new printer and I have printed several documents since. Most came out fine, colors and all, until that
    I discovered that Chromium prints tons of pages full of garbage even when printing a single-page document! Now, strangely, it prints to PDF file and those come out
    looking good but anytime I print directly from Chromium, its just garbage. Pages after pages come out with light grey dots and some characters.

Went through the exercise again of uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Deleted the cups config and reinstalled that too and the same result is happening. Prints
    come out good from the PDF viewer and Geeqie (the two apps tried) but Chromium still is not working. The only strange thing is that when printing from Chromium,
    the printer appears twice, once with the model name and once with the series name but neither work.

OpenSUSE 15.1 on my machine was up to date just a week or two ago and Chromium is a very recent version too. There are no errors when printing but the output
    is junk, so I don't even know how to begin diagnosing this. Any suggestions how to drill down into the issue?

The Espon drivers were downloaded from the Epson site and are built purposefully for OpenSUSE 15.1 64-bit, just like my system.

Thank you,

- Itai
    - Itai
    http://www.cybernium.net

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chromium Prints Garbage on New Printer

Although you've posted this to the hardware forum, this is not hardware related, and very likely a chromium-specific issue (based on results shown from a quick online search). I'm not surprised to read that printing to PDF works, and subsequent printing also works. Try printing the same content from another browser.

FWIW, similar behaviour reported here
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1140...nd-crash-16-04

I'll shift this thread to Applications.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Aug-2020 at 12:13.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Hi,

Strange because there was no problem with the HP printer but the Espon is, so seemed like a driver issue to me which I thought hardware would be relevant.

Could it be that Chrome is selecting drivers differently than the OS?

Thanks,

- Itai
    - Itai

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idanan View Post
    Hi,

Strange because there was no problem with the HP printer but the Espon is, so seemed like a driver issue to me which I thought hardware would be relevant.

Could it be that Chrome is selecting drivers differently than the OS?

Thanks,

- Itai
    Yes, I guess it could be. I don't know much about Chromium and what happens under the hood. As I mentioned already, try comparing behaviour against another browser eg firefox.

Blog Entries

If you really want to dive in deep, you can investigate the troubleshooting steps outlined here
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...nting_problems

Although this issue appears to be related to the application itself, you can investigate the CUPS printing workflow, and that might narrow down which filter is having an issue with the Chromium print job.

In general, CUPS logging verbosity can be increased with
    Code:
    sudo cupsctl --debug-logging
    Any outstanding print jobs can be cancelled with
    Code:
    cancel -a
    You can clear the existing log with
    Code:
    sudo rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log
    and it will get recreated when CUPS next starts again.

After sending a print job (eg from Chromium) you can examine the error_log file. Its output can be lengthy, but something like the following might help drill down to understanding the printing workflow, and any errors occurring....

Code:
    egrep -iA3  "error|filter" /var/log/cups/error_log
    Hope that is enough to give an idea about how to proceed with diagnostics. It is likely that a bug report will be needed to help resolve this.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Aug-2020 at 15:29.

Thank you!

Looks like some really useful info. After reading through though, it seems like a long weekend project rather than a few mins of debugging! I will get back to this another day.

BTW, Firefox printing is working, so it's most-likely Chromium specific. It's going be tough because there are no errors in the logs now, just the output is wrong.

Cheers,

- Itai
    - Itai

Blog Entries

Thank you!

Looks like some really useful info. After reading through though, it seems like a long weekend project rather than a few mins of debugging! I will get back to this another day.
    Yes, it will take time.

BTW, Firefox printing is working, so it's most-likely Chromium specific.
    As I suspected.

It's going be tough because there are no errors in the logs now, just the output is wrong.

Cheers,

- Itai
    You could try running the filters by hand as the Fedora wiki page describes. That would help with capturing the print data at each step, and assist with determining where the issue lies. A bug report will be needed.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

Got out of this one!

After a fresh install of LEAP 15.2, Chromium is printing correctly with the same printer.

There's no free lunch though because the scanner of this all-in-one printer is no longer recognized!
    EPSON provides drivers for 15.1 which I tried anyway on 15.2 but aren't working at all, so there's
    one more thing to debug this weekend.
    - Itai

Default AW: Chromium Prints Garbage on New Printer

EPSON provides drivers for 15.1 which I tried anyway on 15.2 but aren't working at all, so there's
    No, that are only rpms and should work with many distributions.......

iscan and iscan-data is in the Packman-Repo:
    Code:
    zypper se -si iscan
    Repository-Daten werden geladen...
    Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...

S  | Name             | Typ   | Version            | Arch   | Repository
    ---+------------------+-------+--------------------+--------+--------------
    i+ | iscan            | Paket | 2.30.4-pm152.1.114 | x86_64 | packman
    i+ | iscan-data       | Paket | 1.39.1-pm152.1.114 | noarch | packman

Blog Entries

Got out of this one!

After a fresh install of LEAP 15.2, Chromium is printing correctly with the same printer.

There's no free lunch though because the scanner of this all-in-one printer is no longer recognized!
    one more thing to debug this weekend.
    I installed imagescan on Tumbleweed and my Epson scanner works reliably without need to tinker:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper se -is imagescan
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                         | Type    | Version                    | Arch   | Repository
    ---+------------------------------+---------+----------------------------+--------+-----------
    i+ | imagescan                    | package | 3.61.0-1epson4opensuse15.1 | x86_64 | myrepo
    i+ | imagescan-plugin-gt-s650     | package | 1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1  | x86_64 | myrepo
    i+ | imagescan-plugin-networkscan | package | 1.1.3-1epson4opensuse15.1  | x86_64 | myrepo
    i+ | imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine  | package | 1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1  | x86_64 | myrepo
    erlangen:~ #
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast