Thread: Encrypted directories

Question Encrypted directories

I've had an encrypted sparseimage in the past on a macbook that I would keep secure documents like financial records or passwords. I'm not sure I can open and maintain that image on tumbleweed so I'm wondering what the current accepted solution for that sort of thing is? A few things I've looked at are apparently deprecated now, like realcrypt. Or am I asking the wrong kind of question? Thanks for your patience, I'm new to the community.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Encrypted directories

I am using an ecryptfs private directory for this.

If you are a KDE user, you could try using Plasma Vaults (you probably need to install that first). A Plasma Vault is just an encrypted directory. You open it (provide pass phrase) when you want to use it, then close it when done.

With "ecryptfs", the directory "$HOME/Private" is normally encrypted, but is automatically unlocked during login (the login password is used).
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Plasma vault looks good, and this will be a folder I could move from machine to machine and still decrypt with the password? maybe also need plasma vault or encfs?

Blog Entries

Plasma Vault uses either "encfs" or "cryfs" for the underlying crypto. I seem to remember that installing Plasma Vault will pull in "encfs" but won't pull in "cryfs" unless you ask for that.

I have not tried moving them between computers. But I have used on different installs on the same computer (Tumbleweed and Leap 15.2). So copying the encrypted directory would probably work.

I moved the encrypted vaults (directories) to "$HOME/.vaults" instead of leaving them in ".local/share/plasma-vaults", and I manually edited ".config/plasmavaultrc" so that would work

To use on another system, I manually edited ".cpnfig/plasmavaultrc" to where the vaults were relative to that system.

I think I manually setup on the other system, then deleted the vaults before editing ".config/.plasmavaultrc" - just to be sure that Plasma settings had everything in place. You might need to experiment.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;