Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Printing: How do you set up an HP laserjet?

Default Re: Network Printing: How do you set up an HP laserjet?

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    On a fresh install, plug it in and turn it on before you start the installation and in course of the installation it will be configured automatically for you along with all the other hardware on the system.
    Thanks. I hadn't thought of turning on the printer during install. I'll have to try that next time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dt30 View Post
    I notice in my 15.2, (or is it hplip 3.19.12?) the Avahi service is not an option. It only shows SLP and mDNS/Bonjour. But I'll try it with the IP address.
    Not sure why that is the case. I have 3 options for 'Network discovery method':SLP, mDNS/Bonjour, and Avahi.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Thanks. I hadn't thought of turning on the printer during install. I'll have to try that next time.
    That only applies to USB-connected printers. Network printers need explicit configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have been using the same technique for an assortment of printers on openSUSE, going back to many versions before openSUSE-12.1, and even with the latest LEAP-15.2 and latest Tumbleweed this technique still works. It may not be the quickest (although I find it moderately quick) and it is not the most automated (although I do use a wizard in parts). The main aspect of it is NOT to rely on manual discovery, but rather provide openSUSE the LAN/WLAN network IP address of one's printer a couple of times. Hence one 1st needs to figure out the IP address of their printer. One also needs hplip installed.

I blogged about this here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...reless-printer

While I posted about an "inkjet" HP C309a, I have also used this approach with a Laserjet.

I also blogged more recently using this approach with another inkjet:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...with-SUSE-LEAP

Again, this approach also work with a Laserjet.

I have never had a firewall issue adopting this approach.
    Very clear instructions. I notice in your instructions, you run the hp-setup button. What does running printer setup from Yast do for you rather than just running hp-setup from the beginning?

On one install time, I seemed to have two sets of printer setups. One handled by Yast (or CUPS?), and another from HP. It didn't resume or pause the the same printer even though they both showed what looked like the same printer. Does that have something to do with it?

Blog Entries

Very clear instructions. I notice in your instructions, you run the hp-setup button. What does running printer setup from Yast do for you rather than just running hp-setup from the beginning?
    There is no advantage to using YaST for such configuration. The 'hp-setup' tool is all that is required.

On one install time, I seemed to have two sets of printer setups. One handled by Yast (or CUPS?), and another from HP. It didn't resume or pause the the same printer even though they both showed what looked like the same printer. Does that have something to do with it?
    CUPS (web interface or CLI) or YaST can be used to configure printer devices in general. That includes devices supported by HPLIP drivers and non-HPLIP drivers. The 'hp-setup' utility is designed for HPLIP compatible devices only.

Thank you for clearing that up. I need to remember that non-HP printers need some other setup utility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12