Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Printing: How do you set up an HP laserjet?

Default Network Printing: How do you set up an HP laserjet?

What is the proper way to set up wired network printing for an HP LaserJet on a fresh install?

Which of system settings printers, yast printer, website cups, hp device manager is the best way?

In the past, on the hp-setup of hp device manager utility, I've manually entered the IP address in the advanced options. But what is the proper way?

I've tried it with the firewall disabled, and it finds it through the Network selection. I've added myself to the "lp" group. What else is missing?

Default Re: Network Printing: How do you set up an HP laserjet?

Open CUPS in your web browser http://127.0.0.1:631

Manage your printer and make sure you click on share this printer.
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dt30 View Post
    What is the proper way to set up wired network printing for an HP LaserJet on a fresh install?

Which of system settings printers, yast printer, website cups, hp device manager is the best way?
    YaST is integrated with the HPILLP utilities when configuring HP printers, so best just to use the 'hp-setup' utility IMO.

In the past, on the hp-setup of hp device manager utility, I've manually entered the IP address in the advanced options. But what is the proper way?

I've tried it with the firewall disabled, and it finds it through the Network selection. I've added myself to the "lp" group. What else is missing?
    You can configure manually with IP address (or Avahi hostname), or if firewall disabled, it should be able to discover automatically. Are you having problems?
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

It just seems like I struggle each time, and I wanted to learn how to best do it. Disabling firewall for setup is best? I don't know if it's related, but I've had trouble before when resuming a paused printer with using my user name and needed to supply the root username. Figure it is best to be the user rather than root for controlling printers.

Blog Entries

It just seems like I struggle each time, and I wanted to learn how to best do it. Disabling firewall for setup is best?
    There's a long thread about this topic that drills down into this. To keep things simple though, it's easiest to disable the firewall, (most are behind service provider firewalls anyway), while configuring, or manually configure (assuming you know the IP address). If you prefer to leave the openSUSE firewall active, you can allow the mdns service in firewalld, and choose 'Show Advanced Options' in the 'hp-setup' utility. For 'Network discovery method' choose 'Avahi'. This will allow the inbuilt Avahi service to be used for discovery on a LAN. Other methods will faill, unless you're prepared for more complex firewall configuration outlined in the thread.

I don't know if it's related, but I've had trouble before when resuming a paused printer with using my user name and needed to supply the root username. Figure it is best to be the user rather than root for controlling printers.
    The user/admin privileges are defined by various directives in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

More info...
    Code:
    man cupsd.conf
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 06-Aug-2020 at 02:37.

I've manually entered the IP address in the advanced options. But what is the proper way?
    Hi.
    Do you mean that the printer has a manual (not dhcp) fixed IP on the local network ?
    In that same case, i used the hplip he-setup tool with manual discovery and it just worked out of the box without any tweak on the firewall.
    Or you are in a different case ? Printer not in the same network ? DHCP printer ip adress ?
    Or are you accessing the dedicated printer wireless network from your computer ?

On a fresh install, plug it in and turn it on before you start the installation and in course of the installation it will be configured automatically for you along with all the other hardware on the system.

Blog Entries

I have been using the same technique for an assortment of printers on openSUSE, going back to many versions before openSUSE-12.1, and even with the latest LEAP-15.2 and latest Tumbleweed this technique still works. It may not be the quickest (although I find it moderately quick) and it is not the most automated (although I do use a wizard in parts). The main aspect of it is NOT to rely on manual discovery, but rather provide openSUSE the LAN/WLAN network IP address of one's printer a couple of times. Hence one 1st needs to figure out the IP address of their printer. One also needs hplip installed.

I blogged about this here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...reless-printer

While I posted about an "inkjet" HP C309a, I have also used this approach with a Laserjet.

I also blogged more recently using this approach with another inkjet:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...with-SUSE-LEAP

Again, this approach also work with a Laserjet.

I have never had a firewall issue adopting this approach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have never had a firewall issue adopting this approach.
    You won't. That is only an issue for those relying on automatic discovery (SLP, Avahi etc).

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    There's a long thread about this topic that drills down into this. To keep things simple though, it's easiest to disable the firewall, (most are behind service provider firewalls anyway), while configuring, or manually configure (assuming you know the IP address). If you prefer to leave the openSUSE firewall active, you can allow the mdns service in firewalld, and choose 'Show Advanced Options' in the 'hp-setup' utility. For 'Network discovery method' choose 'Avahi'. This will allow the inbuilt Avahi service to be used for discovery on a LAN. Other methods will faill, unless you're prepared for more complex firewall configuration outlined in the thread.
    Wow! That's useful information. Enough to convince me to temporarily disable the firewall or enter the IP address. The IP address was what I had been doing, but thought it should be better to use DHCP for the printer to get an IP. But for a small network, I can see it's not worth the effort. I notice in my 15.2, (or is it hplip 3.19.12?) the Avahi service is not an option. It only shows SLP and mDNS/Bonjour. But I'll try it with the IP address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast