Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Genova, Italia
    Posts
    53

    Question Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    I'm a Linux and openSUSE noob who'd like to get more familiar with the terminal in order to both be more productive than with the GUI and more quickly review/update configs, would this book be a good starting point please:

    The Linux Command Line, 2nd Edition: A Complete Introduction
    https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Command...dp/1593279523/

    If not, please do suggest the proper paper one please?

    Thanks.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 (Btrfs for / and XFS for /home) on a HP Pavilion 15-b119sl Sleekbook upgraded with a single Kingston HyperX FURY SSD (SHFS37A/240G)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Hi
    If there are specific commands, then just print to postscript file and convert to pdf?

    For example;

    Code:
    man -t date > date.ps
    ps2pdf date.ps date.pdf
    
    man -t gzip > gzip.ps
    ps2pdf gzip.ps gzip.pdf
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Genova, Italia
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    That's command by command, I'm actually looking for a book which groups them according to purpose (e.g. networking via command line, text manipulation via BASH, etc.) not just man pages, thanks.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 (Btrfs for / and XFS for /home) on a HP Pavilion 15-b119sl Sleekbook upgraded with a single Kingston HyperX FURY SSD (SHFS37A/240G)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Quote Originally Posted by darcode View Post
    That's command by command, I'm actually looking for a book which groups them according to purpose (e.g. networking via command line, text manipulation via BASH, etc.) not just man pages, thanks.
    Hi
    Then have a look at The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/ then of course the openSUSE documentation: https://doc.opensuse.org/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    27,142

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Quote Originally Posted by darcode View Post
    That's command by command, I'm actually looking for a book which groups them according to purpose (e.g. networking via command line, text manipulation via BASH, etc.) not just man pages, thanks.
    You should note the difference between using a shell (in this case bash), which allows you to give commands (but has also a lot of features and some programming structures) and the tools which you are most probably then call with those commands.

    While learning the shell (by reading a book, an on-line course or a "physical" course will doubtless teach you a lot of general commands "on the go" (like ls, grep, sort, .....), in the end you will have to dig into the tools as such. And the number of them is more or less boundless.

    The categories of commands you name are all in the realm of managing the operating system, And even there there are many. Growing every day, differing in importance by distribution (no zypper on Unbuntu) and OTOH some will grow old and become unused. You learn these by the documentation af e.g. network management and then refine that by reading the man pages.

    It is huge. But starting to learn about using bash is a good point, because when you then start on e.g. network commands, you can go and test them while you are understanding why and where you have to use e.g. quoting, etc.
    Last edited by hcvv; 02-Aug-2020 at 12:55.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Genova, Italia
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You should note the difference between using a shell (in this case bash), which allows you to give commands (but has also a lot of features and some programming structures) and the tools which you are most probably then call with those commands.

    While learning the shell (by reading a book, an on-line course or a "physical" course will doubtless teach you a lot of general commands "on the go" (like ls, grep, sort, .....), in the end you will have to dig into the tools as such. And the number of them is more or less boundless.

    The categories of commands you name are all in the realm of managing the operating system, And even there there are many. Growing every day, differing in importance by distribution (no zypper on Unbuntu) and OTOH some will grow old and become unused. You learn these by the documentation af e.g. network management and then refine that by reading the man pages.

    It is huge. But starting to learn about using bash is a good point, because when you then start on e.g. network commands, you can go and test them while you are understanding why and where you have to use e.g. quoting, etc.
    Sorry I wasn't clear, yes: I meant common linux commands to admin/configure your own system (networking, device drivers, peripherals, Xorg/Wayland, partitions, boot options, etc.) and text manipulation in the shell also geared towards that (using VI or Nano to edit configuration files), I'm using openSUSE mainly, but Manjaro too, so the more disto agnostic the better (e.g. ifconfig/ip), but also distro specific tools (e.g. zypper and pacman), thanks.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 (Btrfs for / and XFS for /home) on a HP Pavilion 15-b119sl Sleekbook upgraded with a single Kingston HyperX FURY SSD (SHFS37A/240G)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    São Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Quote Originally Posted by darcode View Post
    ...text manipulation via BASH...
    Learn interactive bash & tools and some bash scripting like piping, conditions, parameters. For more complex logic, bash will annoy you, so consider a mainstream programming language. Python3 is a good choice. Write logic as python programs and use bash to compose them.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Genova, Italia
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    Learn interactive bash & tools and some bash scripting like piping, conditions, parameters. For more complex logic, bash will annoy you, so consider a mainstream programming language. Python3 is a good choice. Write logic as python programs and use bash to compose them.
    I meant text manipulation in the shell geared towards that (using VI or Nano to edit configuration files), thank you.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5 (Btrfs for / and XFS for /home) on a HP Pavilion 15-b119sl Sleekbook upgraded with a single Kingston HyperX FURY SSD (SHFS37A/240G)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,545

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Though the Bash Reference Manual https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.pdf comes as a PDF, it is typeset as a book and so you can print it out and you will find that page numbers alternate left and right as in a proper book, etc.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,735
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Linux Command Line Paper Manual

    Not paper, but...
    I also endorse the Linux Documentation Project for general Linux commands, and how to write snippets of BASH scripts.
    The tldp project is not easy to read partly because it compresses so much into as few words as possible but it's the place to start and then if something is unclear look for blogs on that topic for more examples and perhaps friendlier text.

    I'm not aware of a similar comprehensive collection of openSUSE commands, but as I've encountered various needs and uses over the years, I've collected them in my Wiki for my personal reference which can be helpful to others.
    You'll find a collection of simple commands, many which illustrate a particular method
    https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Scripts_and_Scriplets

    The main part of my Wiki describes numerous useful utilities and how to use them, examples of bigger, more complex scripts, some alternative documentation, more. A big pot of miscellaneous stuff...
    https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2

    Consider, you can't beat the price of information posted on the Internet...

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •