Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How to participate?

  1. #1

    Default How to participate?

    Hello!

    I'm relatively new to Linux and completely new to openSUSE. I'm experimenting with openSUSE on an old ASUS Netbook. In reading the openSUSE documentation I see that participation in the community is encouraged so I thought I'd post here. I am interested in learning the more technical aspects of Linux - be it coding, testing or proper documentation (or anything else really). Reading the documentation, it sounds like talking to folks is a good place to start so here I am.

    Are there any beginner friendly aspects to the openSUSE project that I may be of use on, and where I could learn a thing or two?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,007

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Welcome aboard! I hope you will enjoy openSUSE like we do here and I think this is the right place to start if you want to learn a bit or two.
    Start by using openSUSE and experimenting with it; should you need help don't be afraid to ask here, you will be amazed at how responsive the community is, especially to people willing to learn.
    Maybe in a short time you will be able to help others sort out problems you already encountered, but this is not essential.
    Then you can help a lot by testing new releases (Leap 15.2 has just been released a few weeks ago...) _and reporting bugs_ to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/index.cgi (same username and password as here, but maybe new members have to setup a new account there...).
    Again, ask here if you are unsure if something odd is really a bug or just something you don't understand yet.
    You can contribute to the Wiki at https://en.opensuse.org/Main_Page with anything interesting, or to the "HowTo" section of the Forums at https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...How-To-and-FAQ
    Then if support is not enough for you, you may contribute by becoming a maintainer/packager of a package or two in need of help or, if you have coding skills, contribute to the never ending development of Tumbleweed, for instance.
    If this is the case a good place to start are the Factory mailing lists, browse and possibly subscribe to a couple of them at https://lists.opensuse.org/
    There is also the openSUSE Build System at https://build.opensuse.org/project# where you will be able to build your own version of packages (see "home projects") or even your tailor made distribution.

    If you write about your preferences or skills I'm sure that members here will guide you to what you are looking for, as you can see there are lots of opportunities!
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,546

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Welcome. Just start by reading the forums to pick up an idea of the culture and then join in if you think you have something helpful to add. You can help by reporting bugs in openSUSE or in specific programs. If you find the documentation for something inadequate offer your suggestions. A lot will depend on what you are interested in and what you try out.

    I have found people incredibly helpful and respectful over the twenty years I have been contributing in my limited way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,735
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Welcome!
    The way to learn is to speak up and ask questions, and we're pretty relaxed about topics around here...
    If your question has to do with something other than fixing a problem, as you've already noticed there are Forums for Development and more generally "almost anything" although I suspect that you'll know people who aren't into computing won't likely find your posts in an openSUSE forum.

    Just one weird restriction I'm aware of...
    There's a policy about being non-political which I can understand but I very, very strongly disagree with when it has to do with supporting FOSS unflinchingly and rarely with exception.
    I cannot believe that a project and company based so much on FOSS should not be willing to defend FOSS without reservation, but that's the way things are interpreted. Principles like FOSS should be instinctively supported, not questioned.
    Don't ask me for particulars because I have no interest in arguing for a change..
    I only mention the policy and will not discuss anything in detail.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,684
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Welcome!
    The way to learn is to speak up and ask questions, and we're pretty relaxed about topics around here...
    If your question has to do with something other than fixing a problem, as you've already noticed there are Forums for Development and more generally "almost anything" although I suspect that you'll know people who aren't into computing won't likely find your posts in an openSUSE forum.

    Just one weird restriction I'm aware of...
    There's a policy about being non-political which I can understand but I very, very strongly disagree with when it has to do with supporting FOSS unflinchingly and rarely with exception.
    I cannot believe that a project and company based so much on FOSS should not be willing to defend FOSS without reservation, but that's the way things are interpreted. Principles like FOSS should be instinctively supported, not questioned.
    Don't ask me for particulars because I have no interest in arguing for a change..
    I only mention the policy and will not discuss anything in detail.

    TSU
    Hi
    I think it is quite clear in the Forum Terms and Conditions re 'Board Content' https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?...#faq_novellgen we are focused on Technical Support here, plenty of other area's in the openSUSE Infrastructure eg Mailing Lists and IRC that can be discussed AFAIK and probably glean a wider audience...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,735
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I think it is quite clear in the Forum Terms and Conditions re 'Board Content' https://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?...#faq_novellgen we are focused on Technical Support here, plenty of other area's in the openSUSE Infrastructure eg Mailing Lists and IRC that can be discussed AFAIK and probably glean a wider audience...
    Agreed.
    The Terms and Conditions are quite clear.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Thanks for the messages folks! I look forward to diving in and learning more about openSUSE! I'll post as things come up. Cheers!

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Alright, I have a question. I was browsing the system settings and noticed the kernel settings options. Not knowing about this I checked the openSUSE wiki and saw that there wasn't a page discussing it. I've since found my answers on a combination of wikipedia/linux sites/reddit but I thought it might be useful to have an openSUSE wiki page on the subject.

    Being a rookie I'm unsure of what is useful - would writing up a short wiki page and providing the references I have found be something useful to the community?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,915
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Pi View Post
    Alright, I have a question. I was browsing the system settings and noticed the kernel settings options. Not knowing about this I checked the openSUSE wiki and saw that there wasn't a page discussing it. I've since found my answers on a combination of wikipedia/linux sites/reddit but I thought it might be useful to have an openSUSE wiki page on the subject.

    Being a rookie I'm unsure of what is useful - would writing up a short wiki page and providing the references I have found be something useful to the community?
    Both are useful. Don't duplicate content. Be concise. Be precise, especially with the preconditions.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,764
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: How to participate?

    Welcome
    In my early days, it was all about practice, practice, practice.
    Having a separate (sandbox) machine is always a good starter
    If you mess things up, just start over.
    Eventually, you can make Linux your daily driver.
    I used to carve up my HD so I could multi-boot different Distros.
    Eventually I ended up writing for major Linux magazines. I don't do that now as normal work dictates.
    I have Tumbleweed KDE as my system and recently (after a very long break from windows) I installed windows 10 pro on a nvme drive, just because circumstances required it.
    There are a lot of strong opinions and it's often best just to ignore anything that is aimed at inflating egos or passions in a particular direction. Play it cool and enjoy.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •